Best IP Camera App / Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi there- I have a couple questions regarding IP cameras and apps for Android.

My wife and I are expecting our first child around the end of July and I am looking at baby monitors. Problem is, most of the dedicated baby video monitors are ridiculously expensive and really can't be reused after you're done with them.

Because of this I started looking at IP Cameras that can see at night. This way my wife could use her rooted Nook Color and I could use my Droid X to monitor the camera whether in the home or abroad.

Question #1) What Android app do you find works best for monitoring?
Question #2) What cameras do you personally use that you find work best for this type of thing?

The pre-requisites for equipment for us are the following:

• Needs to be able to stream video (not just one frame at a time with low refresh), actual video ability.
  • Needs to work well at night.
  • Needs to play nicely with Mac OSX as well.
  • Audio would be nice, but I'm thinking of supplmenting the video with a cheap sound monitor. I've heard that many cameras use ActiveX for sound so they only work on IE... so OSX and Android Devices are kind of given the shaft. If you have a device that works with sound nicely please speak up as I'd love to hear about it!

I really like the DropCam solutions because they have a dedicated app, streaming sound and video work, and its easy to setup. Unfortunately they are 1) expensive and 2) don't offer any night viewing hardware.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

loonie01

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Check Dlink. They have an app in the market. You can look through camera anywhere your phone gets a signal.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I have 5 d-link set up at my business. I can monitor it on my pc, android phone and tablet.
I use an app call ipcam viewer for the android that is simple to set up and use.
Only thing is you say it need to work well at night and the dlink will not be too good if totally dark.
If you have a small night light then it probably better.
IE with activeX will support sounds as well as the Dlink viewr for desktop

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I did a ton of research tonight and decided to go with TinyCam for the Android app and a TrendNet ip camera for the hardware.

TinyCam seems to have an excellent interface (better than IP Cam in my opinion) and the application lists all the brands it will work with that have audio. Every brand is way too expensive accept for TrendNet. In addition the TrendNet camera can see at night and has controls to pan and tilt. There was a review on amazon where the guy hooked it up so his wife could monitor on her galaxy tab. That sold me.

Will let you know how it goes!

Andisunil

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Its batter to use SMMS pro(Smart Mobile Monitoring System ) ..Its really awesome in its functionality .If i was in place of you than definatly I will go with SMMS pro.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800