vlingo beta vs 2.1 update

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I just received an email to try out vlingo beta. Is it even worth it with the 2.1 update? Anyone try vlingo on the Droid? Any pros...cons?

dst255

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I just installed it and tried it out a few times. I agree its not as useful with the 2.1 update, but you can add the Vlingo widget to your home screen and click that to say 'text person message hey what are you doing tonight', or 'email person subject etc...' so its a lot quicker to access a lot of functions.

Also, when I use the stock voice input, I have to talk like a robot to get it to accurately catch my words. I just tried Vlingo in my office and spoke quietly and quickly and it got what I said perfectly.

If you have the beta, its definitely interesting to try.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I received it last night and installed early this morning... Yes, I think Vlingo is a lot more accurate as it also learns after mistakes. Like Dst255 said, the speech recognition that's built in (came on my Nexus), I have to change the way I speak for it to be more accurate. Even then, it still makes a lot more mistakes.

Vlingo ftw!

jlamb30#IM

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I loved vlingo on the BlackBerry. It was fairly accurate, and learned with use. I have signed up for the beta, but have not received a response.

Edit: Got my email. Will definitely be giving it a workout.

Last edited:

jmtanzo

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I received it last night and installed early this morning... Yes, I think Vlingo is a lot more accurate as it also learns after mistakes. Like Dst255 said, the speech recognition that's built in (came on my Nexus), I have to change the way I speak for it to be more accurate. Even then, it still makes a lot more mistakes.

Vlingo ftw!

I just tried it a few times and it worked out great. i just need to remember that i have it and start using it..

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far. It seems a lot more accurate than googles speech to text so far, and being able to do stuff like writing a text from the home screen by speaking one sentence is pretty nifty. I need to reprogram myself to use it more, as like most of us, I am already conditioned to just type stuff, but its a thumbs up so far

dst255

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Wow, if it does a decent job of recognizing spoken punctuation then I WANT IT! There's nothing else out there for Android phones that's smart enough to insert a "," when I say "comma".

Haven't tried out comma, but exclamation point and question mark have worked great.

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
From the Vlingo website:

Vlingo automatically capitalizes the first word of each sentence, and proper nouns that it knows about. If you find specific instances where it's not capitalizing something that it should, let us know and we'll forward it on to the engineering team. As improvements are made, you'll see the benefit automatically, without having to download a new version of Vlingo.

Note that Vlingo only capitalizes in messaging fields that are intended to be sent to other people, for example text messaging and email. It doesn't capitalize contact name fields, Note2Self, etc.

Vlingo does support speaking common punctuation characters such as the following: . ? ! , ; : * - + = Just say 'question mark', 'period', and so on.

Vlingo does not yet support speaking new line (carriage return) characters or creating new paragraphs. For now, you'll need to insert those manually via your keyboard.

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering Island water in the salsa Olson 21 boys is better a well I like Vlingo anyway. I am not correcting what Vlingo isRecording.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995