I just received an email to try out vlingo beta. Is it even worth it with the 2.1 update? Anyone try vlingo on the Droid? Any pros...cons?
    04-02-2010 09:32 AM
    Nope not yet
    04-02-2010 10:37 AM
    I just installed it and tried it out a few times. I agree its not as useful with the 2.1 update, but you can add the Vlingo widget to your home screen and click that to say 'text person message hey what are you doing tonight', or 'email person subject etc...' so its a lot quicker to access a lot of functions.

Also, when I use the stock voice input, I have to talk like a robot to get it to accurately catch my words. I just tried Vlingo in my office and spoke quietly and quickly and it got what I said perfectly.

If you have the beta, its definitely interesting to try.
    04-02-2010 10:43 AM
    I agree...it is actually nice to bypass shortcut icons to text, call, and open apps. We will see after I test it out more.
    04-02-2010 11:02 AM
    I requested for beta but haven't received an email yet. I guess I'll try again.
    04-02-2010 11:45 AM
    I received it last night and installed early this morning... Yes, I think Vlingo is a lot more accurate as it also learns after mistakes. Like Dst255 said, the speech recognition that's built in (came on my Nexus), I have to change the way I speak for it to be more accurate. Even then, it still makes a lot more mistakes.

Vlingo ftw!
    04-02-2010 12:22 PM
    I loved vlingo on the BlackBerry. It was fairly accurate, and learned with use. I have signed up for the beta, but have not received a response.

Edit: Got my email. Will definitely be giving it a workout.
    04-02-2010 12:56 PM
    I received it last night and installed early this morning... Yes, I think Vlingo is a lot more accurate as it also learns after mistakes. Like Dst255 said, the speech recognition that's built in (came on my Nexus), I have to change the way I speak for it to be more accurate. Even then, it still makes a lot more mistakes.

Vlingo ftw!
    I just tried it a few times and it worked out great. i just need to remember that i have it and start using it..
    04-02-2010 01:52 PM
    Installing the beta now.
    04-02-2010 04:10 PM
    I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far. It seems a lot more accurate than googles speech to text so far, and being able to do stuff like writing a text from the home screen by speaking one sentence is pretty nifty. I need to reprogram myself to use it more, as like most of us, I am already conditioned to just type stuff, but its a thumbs up so far
    04-03-2010 12:56 AM
    I just tried it a few times and it worked out great. i just need to remember that i have it and start using it..
    Exactly... I really need to start doing that more often.
    04-04-2010 02:53 AM
    Does it recognize and interpret spoken punctuation?
    04-04-2010 09:45 PM
    Does it recognize and interpret spoken punctuation?
    it does a decent job of it
    04-04-2010 11:01 PM
    I'd have to agree.
    04-05-2010 11:43 AM
    Wow, if it does a decent job of recognizing spoken punctuation then I WANT IT! There's nothing else out there for Android phones that's smart enough to insert a "," when I say "comma".
    04-05-2010 01:19 PM
    Wow, if it does a decent job of recognizing spoken punctuation then I WANT IT! There's nothing else out there for Android phones that's smart enough to insert a "," when I say "comma".
    Haven't tried out comma, but exclamation point and question mark have worked great.
    04-05-2010 01:27 PM
    I am using Vlingo right now, and it is the bomb.

So, Vlingo can recognize,
    04-05-2010 05:21 PM
    I am using Vlingo right now, and it is the bomb.

So, Vlingo can recognize,
    04-05-2010 05:22 PM
    From the Vlingo website:

Vlingo automatically capitalizes the first word of each sentence, and proper nouns that it knows about. If you find specific instances where it's not capitalizing something that it should, let us know and we'll forward it on to the engineering team. As improvements are made, you'll see the benefit automatically, without having to download a new version of Vlingo.

Note that Vlingo only capitalizes in messaging fields that are intended to be sent to other people, for example text messaging and email. It doesn't capitalize contact name fields, Note2Self, etc.

Vlingo does support speaking common punctuation characters such as the following: . ? ! , ; : * - + = Just say 'question mark', 'period', and so on.

Vlingo does not yet support speaking new line (carriage return) characters or creating new paragraphs. For now, you'll need to insert those manually via your keyboard.
    04-05-2010 09:31 PM
    I was wondering Island water in the salsa Olson 21 boys is better a well I like Vlingo anyway. I am not correcting what Vlingo isRecording.
    04-06-2010 03:47 AM
    I agree! Island water in the salsa Olson with 21 boys IS better! Now how long do I have to wait for my own copy of Vlingo? The beta is closed. :<
    04-07-2010 12:46 AM
    How much longer do we have to wait for Vlingo? I couldn't get into the beta. :<
    04-30-2010 08:47 PM
    Okay so I paid for Vlingo and now I have to decide whether to keep it or refund it. So far I don't see much advantage over the built in 2.1 voice recognition. They're both only about 80-90 percent accurate at best. Which means you're still going to have to manually correct so many words its more bother than its worth. It seems to do okay with very simple words. But I couldn't even get it to recognize a simple word like "heaven" after about five tries. If you've got Vlingo, try dictating "God lives in heaven, the Devil lives in Hell" and see what happens!

On the plus side, it does do dictated punctuation and even predictive punctuation, putting a question mark at the end of the sentence "Do you want to kiss my sister?" without my asking for the question mark.
    05-25-2010 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD