04-13-2010 11:24 AM
27 12
tools
    Frustrated that you didnt receive the Nexus Ones 3D app drawer/launcher when your official 2.1 update finally arrived? You can turn that frown upside down today my friends. (So cheesy!) The Launcher2 has hit the market for non-rooted 2.1 users. Yes NON-rooted 2.1 users and works like butter. How about a third time? Make sure you are running the official 2.1 update and have not rooted a thing.

It will cost you $1.99 but that cash goes straight to the developer who happens to be the same guy that keeps pumping out CyanogenMod ROMs.

Head to the market now and search for either Clockworkmod Launcher or Launcher 2 and you should find it.

Update 10:15AM 4/6: Early reviews are spread throughout the comments. Not one issue that I can see. Although, it should be noted that this launcher does not have the 4 persistent apps like the HelixLauncher and to some people is reason enough to not use it. It does however work flawlessly in landscape mode which the previous ported version struggled with. You get 5 screens and can consider yourself a 3D drawer superstar.

04-06-2010 03:27 PM
    Well, seems awful slick! lol, I'd switch but I JUST got addicted to the 4 shortcut keys at the bottom..but nice find
    04-06-2010 03:40 PM
    man, wish they had an "android card" like they do on itunes. would make us non-credit card people so much happier
    04-06-2010 03:58 PM
    works great, but would still like to have the 4 shortcuts on it.
    04-06-2010 04:40 PM
    That is coming soon on HelixLauncher2 and so far Ruqqq has made that a free app.
    04-06-2010 04:47 PM
    That is coming soon on HelixLauncher2 and so far Ruqqq has made that a free app.
    where did you hear this?
    04-06-2010 05:10 PM
    I really hope they don't add the 4 persistent apps. I want it to keep the complete look and feel of the stock home of the Nexus One.
    04-06-2010 05:25 PM
    where did you hear this?
    From Ruqqq the dev. of the app.
    I really hope they don't add the 4 persistent apps. I want it to keep the complete look and feel of the stock home of the Nexus One.
    The latest beta has the option to use 4 shortcuts of the dots next to the launcher button. So it's a winner app for everyone.
    04-06-2010 05:27 PM
    From Ruqqq the dev. of the app.

The latest beta has the option to use 4 shortcuts of the dots next to the launcher button. So it's a winner app for everyone.
    I hope that was meant to be the "the option to use 4 shortcuts or the dots next to the launcher" If so, you just made me a very happy customer lol
    04-06-2010 05:29 PM
    I hope that was meant to be the "the option to use 4 shortcuts or the dots next to the launcher" If so, you just made me a very happy customer lol
    It is. You can turn either one on. I completely missed that type-o. Thanks for fixing.
    04-06-2010 05:41 PM
    I switched from HelixLauncher to this and love it! I still highly recommend HL though. Very good app.
    04-06-2010 10:01 PM
    I'd definitely pay $2 for this app if they included the 4 constant shortcuts at the bottom.

Does it run smoother than Helix?
    04-06-2010 10:47 PM
    No, Helix is smoother.
    04-06-2010 11:28 PM
    So far in my experience I'd put them about even frankly. No one seems to go all that much faster. I wish I had done this before.. I was looking at the memory use of Launcher2 and it's a bit "chunky" - consuming about 45.4MB. Not sure where HelixLauncher 1 falls there. (anyone?) The 4 persistent buttons at the bottom of HelixLauncher were nice, though the quick screen access provided in Launcher2 almost makes up for it.

With the keyboard open, it does do the nice transitions and "Rolly" effect as you page through but one thing that it doesn't have is the home button like it does in normal portrait mode. No biggie, you have to use the back button to close it but it's an odd inconsistency in the interface.

I do love the transitions in and out of the app drawer though, very smooth and sexy.

Anyway, that's my observations thus far. Overall I plan to keep it unless HelixLauncher2 is pure awesome... I'll keep my eyes open just the same.

Still wonder why in the hell didn't Moto include this launcher in 2.1. It adds a bit more polish to the whole experience. Oh well, if we have to surpass Apple piecemeal at least it'll eventually get there.
    04-07-2010 12:47 AM
    Wow, this app should be FRONT page news! Especially since he plans on adding the 4 buttons at the bottom soon! This 2.1 launcher ROCKS! This thing is working way smoother than Helix for me. I had to uninstall Helix first to experience how smooth it actually was. (Too many Home/Launcher apps slow down all other launcher/home apps).

I don't get why this was moved to the App section of Android Central, when things like vlingo beta, G-backup, and Movie Streaming get to stay. Unless AC has a grudge. I dunno, the world may never know!
    04-07-2010 01:14 AM
    Wow, this app should be FRONT page news! Especially since he plans on adding the 4 buttons at the bottom soon! This 2.1 launcher ROCKS! This thing is working way smoother than Helix for me. I had to uninstall Helix first to experience how smooth it actually was. (Too many Home/Launcher apps slow down all other launcher/home apps).

I don't get why this was moved to the App section of Android Central, when things like vlingo beta, G-backup, and Movie Streaming get to stay. Unless AC has a grudge. I dunno, the world may never know!
    Because its an app. Those will be moved too.
    04-07-2010 10:46 AM
    So far in my experience I'd put them about even frankly. No one seems to go all that much faster. I wish I had done this before.. I was looking at the memory use of Launcher2 and it's a bit "chunky" - consuming about 45.4MB. Not sure where HelixLauncher 1 falls there. (anyone?) The 4 persistent buttons at the bottom of HelixLauncher were nice, though the quick screen access provided in Launcher2 almost makes up for it.

With the keyboard open, it does do the nice transitions and "Rolly" effect as you page through but one thing that it doesn't have is the home button like it does in normal portrait mode. No biggie, you have to use the back button to close it but it's an odd inconsistency in the interface.

I do love the transitions in and out of the app drawer though, very smooth and sexy.

Anyway, that's my observations thus far. Overall I plan to keep it unless HelixLauncher2 is pure awesome... I'll keep my eyes open just the same.

Still wonder why in the hell didn't Moto include this launcher in 2.1. It adds a bit more polish to the whole experience. Oh well, if we have to surpass Apple piecemeal at least it'll eventually get there.
    This version of Launcher 2 messes with my widgets in landscape, Also HelixLauncher2 is 888KBs and has way more features. Why in the world is this almost 10MBs?
    04-07-2010 10:49 AM
    This version of Launcher 2 messes with my widgets in landscape, Also HelixLauncher2 is 888KBs and has way more features. Why in the world is this almost 10MBs?
    Good question. On that we'd have to ask the developer. I'm not that crunched for space at this time but yeah, unless he does cut it down I can see jumping to something a bit less chunky.

I haven't experienced any issues with my widgets in landscape at all. I have only seen Launcher2 FC one time.

How much space does HelixLauncher take in memory when running? Just curious.

I like both and I can go either way frankly. I was looking and waiting for HelixLauncher2 to be ported over to the Droid before this came out. When that does happen, I'll look at it.
    04-07-2010 12:13 PM
    Its under 500KB at install and 888KB while runnung.
    HL2 (the port for root and nonroot) is done. I will post a link to the download shortly. It is free but you can donate to the dev (Ruqqq) if you like it.
    04-07-2010 12:36 PM
    The reason it is 10MB download is because of the Nexus Wallpapers that are included in it.
    04-07-2010 12:43 PM
    Odd that that was left in.. left the regular Nexus wallpapers but not the live ones?

Would they account for 10 MB though?
    04-07-2010 12:54 PM
    Well you have to figure, now a-days, 1 picture can equal up to 800KB or more. So you add 10 Wallpapers, that's 8MB worth.

It doesn't use 10MB running, that's just the file size.
    04-07-2010 01:11 PM
    Well you have to figure, now a-days, 1 picture can equal up to 800KB or more. So you add 10 Wallpapers, that's 8MB worth.

It doesn't use 10MB running, that's just the file size.
    True, though Koush would be better removing the extraneous wallpapers from the Download Package (I can't really see using them frankly, and the Droids app storage space is a limited commodity).

The running memory size of 45MB is also a concern. Getting that down would likely make the app seem a bit snappier.
    04-07-2010 01:34 PM
    I would agree...but it's actually VERY snappy for me. On my droid, the thing is actually running better than the Stock home..which sounds crazy.
    04-07-2010 01:41 PM
    The only times I really notice a lag is when you fire up a big, beefy app like Google Earth and return back home. Otherwise it runs pretty good.

From what I have observed, it swaps out apps from memory depending on what you're doing. When Earth is running, Launcher2 doesn't appear in memory when you return back, Earth is gone and Launcher2 is back. Each time it reloads it, it takes time. What I don't know is if there's a correlation of size and apps being unloaded when in the background. In either scenario, if valid, would help significantly if the app had a smaller memory footprint.
    04-07-2010 02:03 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD