I'm having some difficulty getting Google Music Beta to play music on my car stereo. I have an EVO 4G and tried connecting it via USB to my car's USB port. The problem is that no matter what setting I use (sync, USB, charge only) the music doesn't play on my stereo.

When it's connected the music just plays on the phone's speaker.

I keep thinking there's a setting I'm missing but really I thought it would just detect that it's connected to another device and stream the audio. Any advice? And no, I don't have bluetooth connectivity so it's USB or nothing.
    06-16-2011 11:25 AM
    I'm having some difficulty getting Google Music Beta to play music on my car stereo. I have an EVO 4G and tried connecting it via USB to my car's USB port. The problem is that no matter what setting I use (sync, USB, charge only) the music doesn't play on my stereo.

When it's connected the music just plays on the phone's speaker.

I keep thinking there's a setting I'm missing but really I thought it would just detect that it's connected to another device and stream the audio. Any advice? And no, I don't have bluetooth connectivity so it's USB or nothing.
    I don't have a USB port in my car, but I thought they were just to provide power.

In any case, you should use a 3.5 mm MP3 adapter that connects your phone (or MP3 player) through the headphone jack to the auxiliary-in port on your car stereo. (I assume if your car has a USB port it also has an auxiliary in port.) You can get adapters from Amazon for dirt cheap (under $2) or from Target, Walmart, Best Buy, or Radio Shack.

Edit:You can pick up a Griffin 3.5 MP3 adapter for $14 at Walmart. Just gone one myself because I lost my old one.
    06-16-2011 01:46 PM
    If you're trying to use the USB on your car, I doubt it will work....I think that usually is used for MP3 players (since it would connect like a disc drive). Probably works fine to play MP3s on the phone, but now you're trying to stream music (so there's no file system the USB is going to recognize).

That's my guess (also don't have a USB in my car). You'll probably need to connect with Bluetooth or with a 3.5mm headphone jack (if your stereo is advanced enough for a USB port, it probably has an AUX jack on it)
    06-16-2011 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD