Google Pay with Discover Card - Anyone?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Wife and I have been using Google Pay with my Discover Card for a couple of years.

For the past 10 days, it refuses to work even at stores where I have used it every other day or so (Stop & Shop, for example). The terminal says "Card rejected" or some such.

Now, let me say for one thing that credit is absolutely not an issue. Also, if I switch Google Pay from my default Discover card to my Bank of America Visa, it works fine. My wife is having the same problem on her phone (also linked to my Discover card account). She has a Pixel 3 and mine is a Pixel 3XL.

Anyway, I asked first at the Stop & Shop service counter if they had changed anything and was told no, nothing.

Next, I called Discover and they said could not see any reason on their side for my card to be rejected, but we went ahead and deleted the card from Google Pay and re-added in order to generate a new token.

Guess what - it still doesn't work.

Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue specifically with a Discover card?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine has been working fine. Been working it overtime even, kind of, using it twice a week at the grocery store due to the 5% cashback bonus for use at those stores, been working flawlessly...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been working fine. Been working it overtime even, kind of, using it twice a week at the grocery store due to the 5% cashback bonus for use at those stores, been working flawlessly...
Weird.

Fwiw, I know for sure the card works because I purchased something at Amazon and charged it to the card with no problem.

And Google Pay works because I was able to use it with my BofA Visa card.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been busy, including 10 days outside the US, but wanted to come back to this with an update of sorts.

I've determined a couple of things for sure:

1. Google Pay is definitely working on my phone
  2. Google Pay with Discover Card set as the default works in a few other places I've tried it
  3. My Discover Card account is still usable online at sites like Amazon
  4. Google Pay with my BofA Visa Card works at Stop & Shop
  5. Google Pay with Discover Card *still* does not work at Stop & Shop - the point of sale terminal says "Card not accepted"
  6. When I inquired at the store's customer service counter, I was told, "Yes, of course we accept Discover Card!"
  7. When I contacted Discover, they said they could not see any reason why it shouldn't work and suggested I remove Discover from Google Pay and then re-add it in order to obtain a new token. Results are the same.
  8. I've tried Googling to find someone else with the same problem to no avail

BrewerAg97

May 24, 2019
Visit site
N4Newbie, you're not alone. I've had the same exact issue with ONLY Discover and Google Pay.
I have Visa in there too and it works flawlessly. Discover works SOME times, SOME places, but often gives me errors. I then immediately change cards in Google Pay, and it works no problems.

I had an issue with Discover not working today at Trader Joes and doesn't work at Whole Foods 365. Like I said, all other cards work at the places Discover doesn't and Discover works at some places.

I just don't know where the failure is.

mawilson82

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my Discover card via Google Pay at Trader Joe's for quite some time. My store recently (within the past month or so) updated the software and since then it will be longer work. It comes back with an error saying "Card not accepted".

I emailed TJ and they forwarded it to their Tech Dept. I haven't heard anything since May 23rd.

I'm not sure if it really is a software issue at the store or something on the Discover side.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Good to know it's not just me.

I've switched my default card to my Bank of America Visa card; no time to waste dealing with these issues. I nearly always pay my cards in full each month, so varying interest rates don't matter and my Visa card rewards net out to being similar to those from the Discover card.

i2cube

Jun 29, 2019
Visit site
I literally just made an account so I can reply to this.

I have the EXACT same problem with my Discover credit card on Google Pay.

I have also used Discover on Google Pay in Stop and Shop with no problem, up until maybe end of February.

Then it started declining my card.

My observation, however, is that even back when it worked with Stop and Shop, it was always funky. It would gave me a "cash back" option, as if it was a debit card. What I can guess is that the virtual card number from Google Pay somehow got recognized as a debit card instead of a credit card.

I have contacted Discover customer service and they also told me to remove and add the card back in Google Pay. Obviously, it didn't work.

I have noticed, as I tried to remove and add the card back in Google Pay once again today, that Discover sent me an automatic email saying that "If a merchant asks for the last 4 digits of your Discover card when paying with Google Pay, please use the last 4 digits of the Google Pay Virtual account number. "

This kind of support my speculation that somehow the virtual card is getting recognized a debit card. Maybe the POS machines refuse the transaction because of the mismatch of a debit transaction on a credit card?

You can try and ask the cash register staff to use a debit transaction when you use your Google Pay with Discover card and see if it works, although I have tried to do this once and it didn't work

Aarsh Dave

Sep 26, 2019
Visit site
Yes! I am facing the same issue here. I have many stores around my place. It works flawlessly at ALDI store but, it doesn't work at SUBWAY restaurant and DUNKIN. I have gone into very detail with both Google Pay team and Discover Team.

First of all I submitted my Google Pay app logs to Google Pay team and then they checked everything including my Physical Device, Google Account and everything. They replied that somehow Discover has set limit to my contactless payments(Which is definitely incorrect). They said everything is okay from our side.

Then I went to Discover and explained whole situation that this is not an issue with Google Pay for sure as they checked my technical logs and everything. Guess what! This is not an issue from Discover side as well!

We are just stuck on the bridge with both open sides which end into the water. I think this is compatibility issue between Google Pay and Discover which has nothing to do with specific device or account.

symedley

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I've had the exact same problem: Paying with Google Pay and Discover card stopped working at Trader Joe's. It still works a few places, but it's less than a 50% chance. All other cards work fine. Paying with the plastic Discover card works fine. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences!

Julian Paolucci

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I have had the same problem – specifically, at Trader Joe’s – for months. An update to Google Pay was pushed out yesterday, and this morning I was able to successfully pay at TJ’s with my phone once again.

No matter whose issue this was, it appears to be fixed. See if it works now for you, too.