Mac User In WhatsApp Crisis

motomojo

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone - I am at my wit's end and thought maybe, just maybe someone on the Android side of the world could help me.

I have a single instance of a major problem. In one of my chats with a particular number, there is a single image that refuses to download, leaving me with a blurry thumbnail where the normal res image should be. The problem is, I need to be able to show this image on the phone in context, in court!

As a starting point, I tried to diagnose why this happened (the message is from more than a year ago so it's not going to be on the WhatsApp server) that the iPhone didn't just download the image like it does all the others. And so I performed an iTunes backup, dug through thousands of images and discovered, lo and behold, that the full res image is in fact on the phone, but that WhatsApp is treating it as a .thumb file instead of a .jpg file. I have had no luck trying to access the WhatsApp media on the iPhone since there are no file explorers that work unless the phone is jailbroken which I cannot do.

So, I am wondering if the good folks here can walk me through an Android solution, since I have access to a Pixel 3 phone. My initial thoughts were that since WhatsApp stores its media files in a recognizable format and location, I could somehow transfer my iPhone WhatsApp data to Android, and then manually replace or rename the bad file so that it would show up on the Android WhatsApp app, and then once fixed, I could take everything back over to iPhone.

Does any of this make any sense, and could someone please try and help me? I guess the bottom line question is, does Android offer the possibility to manually playing with the WhatsApp media folder so that you can add or modify the images and then they appear in the chats that way, or not?

Put differently, if a message points to 494858960.jpg in the medial folder, since the Android file system is open (unlike iPhone), could I manually swap out that image with another using the same name and have it appear in the chat instead, or does WhatsApp prevent this from working?

isired

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Android automatically makes an album that holds all WhatsApp images - the problem is, when an image is blurred like you describe in WhatsApp, it means that the source file has been deleted, usually from the Gallery app or the Android 'cleaning' process that pops up and asks if you want to delete memes, unused images, etc.

I guess I would first try to add WhatsApp (assuming the pixel while you're doing this has the same phone number as your iphone) and add the image with the proper name to the album, or the folder that contains WhatsApp images and see if it pops up.

Are you sure there isn't a WhatsApp album generated in Apple's Photos app too, that might be able to be re-associated?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae