Google Navigation Question - Street Data

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
A standard GPS unit (Tomtom, Garmin, etc.) has street data loaded onto it. You load data onto it depending on where you're planning on traveling or it comes preloaded with the data. You can also purchase updates based on changes to street/new streets, etc.

Does the google navigation app on Android come with street data loaded for its GPS functionality? I'm pretty sure it doesn't because my phone has 2GB internal memory and with all the apps and files I have loaded, there is still free space on it. But I want to confirm this with someone that may know. If it doesn't, I have follow up questions.

Thank you

prjctchris

Jan 17, 2011
www.prjctmobile.com
Unlike most navigation done by major companies in app form, Google's Navigation has very little data stored locally. When you navigate it uses a data network to stream relevant directions, street data, and any other data. On the plus side, it makes it so that you are always using the latest mapping data Google makes available, and you aren't using space to store all of this on your phone. The downside is of course that if your connectivity isn't the best navigation has a little trouble.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: shobuddy

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just to expand on that, as long as you have data connection at the start of your trip, Google will cache the maps along your route (so interruptions in service don't disrupt the nav). I am not sure how much it caches, but I do know when I go to my parents' house that's 4.5 hours away, I have a long section that's probably 50-60 miles with no data and I've never lost the navigation through it (so I'm guessing it caches quite a bit)

You may run into issues if you end up somewhere without a data connection and have to deviate a long distance from the route (such as a long detour or you just decide to go galavanting off on your own), and you end up outside of what it has cached.

Then of course there is the issue of not having a data connection where you start out....you'll find yourself driving aimlessly searching for a data connection.

That being said, they are supposed to make offline maps a reality soon: http://www.androidcentral.com/google-maps-getting-offline-rerouting