Samsung Pay at Kroger

Annie_M

Trusted Member
Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Definitely! That's why they closed the older one here because fuel pumps couldn't be added. It's a bummer though because the other one is about 15-20 minutes across town.

BTW, what are you doing cheating on iMore over here? LOLOL

I wander in from time to time! :D

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've used Samsung Pay at Kroger's easily.

Note 8/Pie 9.0

Very fast. The cashiers are like WTF and think it's Apple Pay lol.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Kroger isn't the only one that claims to not take any other payment type. I had an incident at Wally World, it went through. As to the OP's original question, I have used it there. I got the spiel of we don't... as I was putting my phone on the terminal and to the cashier's surprise and her neighbor, whom she had called over to to query whether Samsung Pay was accepted, it went through.

To Insp_Gadget, while this in theory is correct I've had several incidents where this didn't hold up. I'm not sure what is actually required but some places really can't take it. I've found that many of the places that have card readers attached to tablet type registers seem to be the main ones. There was also a time at the movie theater with a kiosk with a card reader like on a Redbox.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
To Insp_Gadget, while this in theory is correct I've had several incidents where this didn't hold up. I'm not sure what is actually required but some places really can't take it. I've found that many of the places that have card readers attached to tablet type registers seem to be the main ones. There was also a time at the movie theater with a kiosk with a card reader like on a Redbox.

Yes, card readers that require the card to be inserted (like ATMs or gas pumps) do not work because they have to be activated by a mechanical switch, which the physical card trips upon insertion. Also, some tablet systems, as you mentioned, are runnig proprietary POS software that is incompatible with standard magstripe encoding.

So yes, there are exceptions. But 95+% of readers do work.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Kroger isn't the only one that claims to not take any other payment type. I had an incident at Wally World, it went through. As to the OP's original question, I have used it there. I got the spiel of we don't... as I was putting my phone on the terminal and to the cashier's surprise and her neighbor, whom she had called over to to query whether Samsung Pay was accepted, it went through.

There was a time a couple years ago it wouldn't work at the Walmart where I live. It was when the S8+ came out. I tried everything, and it just never worked. Around the same time I remember lots of folks having issues with Samsung Pay at Home Depot as well.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, card readers that require the card to be inserted (like ATMs or gas pumps) do not work because they have to be activated by a mechanical switch, which the physical card trips upon insertion. Also, some tablet systems, as you mentioned, are runnig proprietary POS software that is incompatible with standard magstripe encoding.

So yes, there are exceptions. But 95+% of readers do work.

I hadn't considered a switch... Still would require me to run something through it and at that point it might as well be the card.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't considered a switch... Still would require me to run something through it and at that point it might as well be the card.

Yeah, unless you're trying to get Samsung Pay points during one of their multiplier promotions. Then it might be worth the hassle. Either way, those types of readers suck.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
fortunately a lot of gas stations are putting nfc readers on the pumps.

Hahaha I recently commented on this in another post. In my town almost all of the Speedway/Super Americas have upgraded their pumps. The upgraded pumps have a square with a data logo, but they all say, coming soon. Which stations have you come across that have NFC actually working?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
fortunately a lot of gas stations are putting nfc readers on the pumps.

Hahaha I recently commented on this in another post. In my town almost all of the Speedway/Super Americas have upgraded their pumps. The upgraded pumps have a square with a data logo, but they all say, coming soon. Which stations have you come across that have NFC actually working?

rhapdog

May 1, 2015
Visit site
For me, it's easier to use Kroger Pay now that they've finally made it easier on their app. Scan the QR code displayed by the app, scan your groceries, hit mobile pay, and you're done. Loyalty card and payment in one, so it saves a step there. I need my loyalty points for the gas savings.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
For me, it's easier to use Kroger Pay now that they've finally made it easier on their app. Scan the QR code displayed by the app, scan your groceries, hit mobile pay, and you're done. Loyalty card and payment in one, so it saves a step there. I need my loyalty points for the gas savings.

going have to check this out as soon as the virus situation clears. my local kroger is in another town. thanks

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

is there a widget for kroger pay? I use a third party launcher and widgets does not always appear. or is there a short cut to kroger pay. I was just setting it up and found you have to open the app, open settings, scroll down then open kroger pay.

rhapdog

May 1, 2015
Visit site
is there a widget for kroger pay? I use a third party launcher and widgets does not always appear. or is there a short cut to kroger pay. I was just setting it up and found you have to open the app, open settings, scroll down then open kroger pay.

Once Kroger pay is set up, then open the Kroger app at the store and there will be a long button for Kroger pay. You have to be at the store to get the convenient access to it. No widgets.

Drkm

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
Samasung Pay never worked for me in Kroger.

I have used it in self checkouts of more than one store.

I have no issues in any other brand stores like Aldi, Walmart, Costco, etc. Kroger is the first time I have issues with Samsung Pay.

However there is a mobile payment barcode that Kroger App gives and it works.

It's a little bit of an inconvenience as my Kroger membership Plus Card barcode is also included inside Samsung Pay app and I didn't like to open Kroger App all the time mostly because it is slow.

None of the Kroger associates could utilize the Samsung Pay either.

I think they are either very backwards as of tech or it is an intentional ignorance.

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
anyone ever get samsung pay to work at kroger?
In Colorado we have King Soopers in the Metro areas and City Market in the mountain areas which are both Kroger affiliates. Samsung Pay works flawlessly at those. Nor have I had issues with Fry's, Dillons, Fred Myers or Ralph's stores which are also affiliates.

I can't recall if I have tried it specifically in a Kroger named store, but I am not if there is any reason it wouldn't work.

King Soopers and City Market both take Kroger Pay as well, but I find it a PITA to use by comparison and more difficult to switch payment cards, which is important to me since I sometimes pick up for business or other family member and have various cards in Samsung Pay.