LibriVox app keeps losing audio focus; is there a way I can fix this myself?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I listen to a lot of audio books, and for those who don't mind older literature a surprisingly good app for content is LibriVox. Unfortunately the app's functionality not so much. If you pause playback for more than a few seconds, the app loses focus, after which playback can only be resumed by via the screen. This isn't always convenient or considerate of someone else who may be sleeping in the same room. And since I live in a state where it's still legal to wear both earbuds while driving, I can add that it isn't always safe to use a screen. There are lots of times when I'm listening to a book and need to unplug my ears and/or put down the phone for a few minutes. Just about every other audio app I've used will hold audio focus for a minute, an hour, all day, or beyond; but LibriVox drops it after a couple of seconds.

Since LibriVox' developers seem to be disinclined to fix this, I got to wondering if there's another app or perhaps a widget that can fix this. Is there any possible way to "force" an app to retain audio focus, without developing a new app on my own?

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I download from the Librivox website, to my PC and transfer to my SD card so why not do that if their app does not work?
If this idea will work with Google Play on my Android device that would be great. I used to mix and match music and spoken word content all the time in the early days of smartphones, when most of my audio downloads were direct from browsers.

ETA: Do you mean you listen to the .aax files in Google Play or some other freestanding media player? If not, how exactly do you do this?

Last edited: