I’ve been travelling for a few months and have been getting new local SIM cards in each country.

With WhatsApp, I only used the ‘change number’ feature when I got my first local SIM card, and didn’t bother when I changed a few more times. Therefore, I was running WhatsApp from the same phone (Galaxy S7) but the number it was associated with wasn’t the one for the current SIM card I was using.

My phone has been having some issues (battery related I think), and long story short - it’s now factory reset but still not working.

I’m now using an iPhone in the meantime, but have realised I can’t get onto my previous WhatsApp account as it was linked to a Vietnamese SIM card that has now been completely deactivated by the network. I think the only way I can get back into my WhatsApp account is if I manage to get the Galaxy S7 to work again.

Though, my question is - since I factory reset the S7 and have no way of verifying the number associated with my WhatsApp account, due to the sim for that number now being inactive, have I lost access to that account forever or is there some way I can get it back and link it to my current number?

Either way I’ve learned a lesson to keep my WhatsApp phone number up to date...
    02-21-2020 09:42 AM
    [Moved this to the WhatsApp Forum for better help]
    02-21-2020 10:06 AM
    I think without that old number it will be hard to retrieve the old account. Can try contacting WhatsApp customer service.
    02-21-2020 10:07 AM
    Yep just to confirm, having spoken to WhatsApp - it is not possible to recover without the number being active on your SIM. Good to know!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    02-25-2020 01:39 AM
    Yep just to confirm, having spoken to WhatsApp - it is not possible to recover without the number being active on your SIM. Good to know!
    Yeah figured that's what they were going say
    02-25-2020 08:25 AM