Ugh! Why do they keep breaking Android Auto??

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Last week I found that I could not reply to WhatsApp or "Messages" texts. AA would read me the incoming text, ask if I wanted to reply, and then *apparently* successfully transmit my reply. But, once out of the car and reviewing the same threads on my phone (Pixel 4 XL with Android 10) I found that the replies were not there and, having asked the other persons in the conversations, learned that they did not receive my replies either.

Yesterday, driving home from my office where I am working random hours onsite/offsite due to the pandemic, I received multiple Messages texts from a person that texts me only when something is broken and requires my attention. I played the first text, AA asked if I wanted to reply, I said yes, and then nothing... It never accepted my reply, asked if I wanted to send it, or anything at all.

More texts came in and I could not even get these to play. AA would go through the motions but never actually play anything, then ask if I wanted to reply! If I said yes, it would stall for a few moments and then apologize for an unknown error.

There are just two things that I want from AA: driving directions and functional message handling. Why do they keep breaking it???

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Yeah my gps hardly ever works with my note 8 anymore and simple commands like call so and so also stopped working.......

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I installed Android 11 Beta this morning; the problem persists.

On the way home from the office I received a WhatsApp message. AA was able to read it for me and asked if I wanted to reply. I said yes and spoke a reply. AA asked if it should send it or change it; I said send it. The animated dots did there thing and it would seem as though everything was good, but when I got home and checked WhatsApp on my phone I could see that the reply did not go through.

This is incredibly annoying!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So, it appears that AA is no longer satisfied with simple yes and no responses when using Messages or WhatsApp.

Now, you must say, "Yes, please" and "No, thank you".

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so here's a weird one. Pixel 3 XL Android 11 beta 1.5 of course. A week ago I tested Android auto in my 2018 Accord sport and it worked beautifully. This morning, when I started My car will come and connected my phone into my Honda, nothing. I went into app settings and reset the storage and the cash. There's no connection to be made with an Android auto from my phone to my car. Please tell me someone has any suggestions. Lol. It did work before I will say that much I have not tried to reboot the phone yet though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so here's a weird one. Pixel 3 XL Android 11 beta 1.5 of course. A week ago I tested Android auto in my 2018 Accord sport and it worked beautifully. This morning, when I started My car will come and connected my phone into my Honda, nothing. I went into app settings and reset the storage and the cash. There's no connection to be made with an Android auto from my phone to my car. Please tell me someone has any suggestions. Lol. It did work before I will say that much I have not tried to reboot the phone yet though.
I would certainly try the reboot and if that doesn't work another cable

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I would certainly try the reboot and if that doesn't work another cable
Well, and see, the funny thing is is that's the same USB type-c braided cable I've used since the start of my car which is always worked. I'm going to reboot the phone a few times and see if I can the connection to work! I'll keep you updated though!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, and see, the funny thing is is that's the same USB type-c braided cable I've used since the start of my car which is always worked. I'm going to reboot the phone a few times and see if I can the connection to work! I'll keep you updated though!
I'm not suggesting it's definitely the cable but those are the typical troubleshooting steps to try.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not suggesting it's definitely the cable but those are the typical troubleshooting steps to try.
Oh , I know what you mean! I mean when I get into my car again, I will definitely try rebooting the phone a couple times if I don't see any improvements. Like I said, it was working last week. I'll keep you updated...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It didn't work after one reboot?
Actually, probably would have, but during the day yesterday I reboot my phone a couple of times, so it wouldn't matter. Lol. For example, yesterday for some reason my GPS location kept on staying on. And I know that went to have killed my battery, but it didn't need to be on at that moment, so that was another reason why I rebooted my phone in the middle of the day yesterday.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

A lot of us had to replace our USB-C cables that worked fine with earlier Pixels because they stopped working entirely or worked poorly (slow charging, for example) when we went to Pixel 3's.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
A lot of us had to replace our USB-C cables that worked fine with earlier Pixels because they stopped working entirely or worked poorly (slow charging, for example) when we went to Pixel 3's.
Yeah I hear ya, such a weird weird thing though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463