New Firmware (1.03) for Pioneer NEX Units

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
There is a new firmware out for the NEX head units, as of today. Firmware 1.03.

NEX | Pioneer Electronics USA

Check your firmware version. Mine was 1.01. I just updated.

According to Pioneer:
This firmware update (version 1.03) contains the following improvements:
• Expanded compatibility with Google Android Auto™
• Fixed a pop noise problem while playing a music file in SD
• Minor bug fixes

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmmmmm. The 4100 file is listed as 5100. That's also what's in the release notes, but ... :|

Yes, I know. That worried me initially, too; but the same thing happened with the download for the 8100. Apparently, they used the same file folder name within the zip archive, even though the zip archive file itself is titled differently.

I don't know what the differences are, but there were no ill effects. I simply followed the instructions, and everything worked. After updating, the only thing I had to do was step through the initial setup wizard for my unit's built-in navigation system. But all my settings had been retained (except that the navigation system voice had been reset to maximum volume). Once I turned her back down in the settings, all was as it was before.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Ah, good deal. Time to flash, then!

And ... firmware update successful. A couple tips: Be sure to format to FAT32, and make sure the car is running.

Last edited:

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Ah, good deal. Time to flash, then!

And ... firmware update successful. A couple tips: Be sure to format to FAT32, and make sure the car is running.

Yes, the instructions specifically state those things. Some cars let the radio run for a while after the car is turned off, but then eventually turn the radio off (to save the battery). So you certainly want to have the engine running while you do this, because if the radio shuts off in the middle of the update you could really screw up your unit beyond recovery.

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I haven't updated yet but an I to understand that I need to switch the usb connection from usb2 to usb1 then update and switch the connection back?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't updated yet but an I to understand that I need to switch the usb connection from usb2 to usb1 then update and switch the connection back?

Do you have an SD card? Use that instead. No need to bother with the USB cables.

(A smart thing to do when installing the head unit is to put USB extender cables on BOTH USB ports, so that both are accessible.)

koalabear

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Ok I must be an ***** - I cannot figure out how to update the firmware, the "firmware update" selection is dimmed. I formatted a SD card in FAT32 and have the AVIC-5100NEX folder as the only thing on the card. Ideas>}|

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any other devices mounted to the head unit? Make sure your phone is not plugged into it. Make sure your parking brake is applied. The system requires that before it will let you update the firmware. Also, make sure your engine is running. You don't want the radio to inadvertently shut off in the middle of the update.

hasnolimits

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Im using USB 3.0 extensers from amazon (nice thick cables). For some reason, whe. I plug in my phone, android auto pops up in the apps section but then immediately disappears. Ive also noticed when i plug in my phone looks likt its starting an app but it doesnt. Basically, i cant get my Sprint galaxy s5 to work on 1.03 with the 8100nex. Are the usb 3.0 extenders to blame?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Im using USB 3.0 extensers from amazon (nice thick cables). For some reason, whe. I plug in my phone, android auto pops up in the apps section but then immediately disappears. Ive also noticed when i plug in my phone looks likt its starting an app but it doesnt. Basically, i cant get my Sprint galaxy s5 to work on 1.03 with the 8100nex. Are the usb 3.0 extenders to blame?

Have a USB 2 cable you can try?

hasnolimits

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the USB extender that came with the Head-Unit. The only problem is that I actually had Santa Fe Autosound install it for me in my 2005 Silverado. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get in there. I can probably have them do it but i'd want to confirm the 3.0 extenders are the issue..

Jared Mayfield

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

My unit and phone does the exact same thing. I have a nexus 6 and my head unit is a Pioneer AVH-X8750BT (I'm in Australia) just finished installing it and very disappointed, my mums nexus 5 works but my nexus 6 doesn't. Phil would the phone most likely be to blame here or the firmware on the unit? Please say phone haha I had a Pioneer AVH-X8550BT for 2 years and it never received a firmware update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy