12-11-2016 05:48 PM
33 12
tools
    There is a new firmware out for the NEX head units, as of today. Firmware 1.03.

NEX | Pioneer Electronics USA

Check your firmware version. Mine was 1.01. I just updated.

According to Pioneer:
    This firmware update (version 1.03) contains the following improvements:
    • Expanded compatibility with Google Android Auto™
    • Fixed a pop noise problem while playing a music file in SD
    • Minor bug fixes
    Phil Nickinson likes this.
    03-23-2015 06:12 PM
    Hmmmmmmm. The 4100 file is listed as 5100. That's also what's in the release notes, but ... :|
    03-24-2015 06:44 AM
    Hmmmmmmm. The 4100 file is listed as 5100. That's also what's in the release notes, but ... :|
    Yes, I know. That worried me initially, too; but the same thing happened with the download for the 8100. Apparently, they used the same file folder name within the zip archive, even though the zip archive file itself is titled differently.

I don't know what the differences are, but there were no ill effects. I simply followed the instructions, and everything worked. After updating, the only thing I had to do was step through the initial setup wizard for my unit's built-in navigation system. But all my settings had been retained (except that the navigation system voice had been reset to maximum volume). Once I turned her back down in the settings, all was as it was before.
    03-24-2015 06:54 AM
    Ah, good deal. Time to flash, then!

And ... firmware update successful. A couple tips: Be sure to format to FAT32, and make sure the car is running.
    03-24-2015 06:54 AM
    Ah, good deal. Time to flash, then!

And ... firmware update successful. A couple tips: Be sure to format to FAT32, and make sure the car is running.
    Yes, the instructions specifically state those things. Some cars let the radio run for a while after the car is turned off, but then eventually turn the radio off (to save the battery). So you certainly want to have the engine running while you do this, because if the radio shuts off in the middle of the update you could really screw up your unit beyond recovery.
    03-24-2015 09:12 AM
    I haven't updated yet but an I to understand that I need to switch the usb connection from usb2 to usb1 then update and switch the connection back?
    03-24-2015 11:14 AM
    I haven't updated yet but an I to understand that I need to switch the usb connection from usb2 to usb1 then update and switch the connection back?
    Do you have an SD card? Use that instead. No need to bother with the USB cables.

(A smart thing to do when installing the head unit is to put USB extender cables on BOTH USB ports, so that both are accessible.)
    DrKrizzle likes this.
    03-24-2015 11:20 AM
    Thanks I don't have an SD card just the flash drive right now. Probably best to just grab one & do it that way
    03-24-2015 11:22 AM
    Thanks I don't have an SD card just the flash drive right now. Probably best to just grab one & do it that way
    That would be my recommendation. You can grab a cheap 8GB SD card for a few dollars.
    Fleury14 likes this.
    03-24-2015 11:26 AM
    I ended up just pulling the unit out and switching the cable back and forth. Going forward I'll just get the sd card.
    03-24-2015 01:46 PM
    Ok I must be an ***** - I cannot figure out how to update the firmware, the "firmware update" selection is dimmed. I formatted a SD card in FAT32 and have the AVIC-5100NEX folder as the only thing on the card. Ideas>}|
    03-30-2015 08:42 PM
    Do you have any other devices mounted to the head unit? Make sure your phone is not plugged into it. Make sure your parking brake is applied. The system requires that before it will let you update the firmware. Also, make sure your engine is running. You don't want the radio to inadvertently shut off in the middle of the update.
    03-30-2015 08:51 PM
    God bless you sir. Parking brake? PARKING BRAKE! Shoulda remembered needed that on to set up AA in the first place. Thanks!
    03-30-2015 09:03 PM
    Glad that fixed it for you.
    03-30-2015 09:07 PM
    Does anyone know if the S6 works after this update?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-07-2015 09:04 AM
    Does anyone know if the S6 works after this update?

It does not. http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...rking-yet.html
    Lucky45 likes this.
    04-07-2015 09:28 AM
    Im using USB 3.0 extensers from amazon (nice thick cables). For some reason, whe. I plug in my phone, android auto pops up in the apps section but then immediately disappears. Ive also noticed when i plug in my phone looks likt its starting an app but it doesnt. Basically, i cant get my Sprint galaxy s5 to work on 1.03 with the 8100nex. Are the usb 3.0 extenders to blame?
    04-08-2015 08:24 AM
    Im using USB 3.0 extensers from amazon (nice thick cables). For some reason, whe. I plug in my phone, android auto pops up in the apps section but then immediately disappears. Ive also noticed when i plug in my phone looks likt its starting an app but it doesnt. Basically, i cant get my Sprint galaxy s5 to work on 1.03 with the 8100nex. Are the usb 3.0 extenders to blame?
    Have a USB 2 cable you can try?
    04-08-2015 10:29 AM
    I have the USB extender that came with the Head-Unit. The only problem is that I actually had Santa Fe Autosound install it for me in my 2005 Silverado. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get in there. I can probably have them do it but i'd want to confirm the 3.0 extenders are the issue..
    04-08-2015 10:36 AM
    My unit and phone does the exact same thing. I have a nexus 6 and my head unit is a Pioneer AVH-X8750BT (I'm in Australia) just finished installing it and very disappointed, my mums nexus 5 works but my nexus 6 doesn't. Phil would the phone most likely be to blame here or the firmware on the unit? Please say phone haha I had a Pioneer AVH-X8550BT for 2 years and it never received a firmware update.

04-15-2015 07:14 AM
    My unit and phone does the exact same thing. I have a nexus 6 and my head unit is a Pioneer AVH-X8750BT (I'm in Australia) just finished installing it and very disappointed, my mums nexus 5 works but my nexus 6 doesn't. Phil would the phone most likely be to blame here or the firmware on the unit? Please say phone haha I had a Pioneer AVH-X8550BT for 2 years and it never received a firmware update.

Lot of variables at work.
    04-15-2015 10:45 AM
    I tried my girlfriends N6 and it worked fine so I factory reset my phone and it works now.

04-15-2015 05:41 PM
    Please say phone haha I had a Pioneer AVH-X8550BT for 2 years and it never received a firmware update.
    This is my fear. How do we know that a 4100 bought today will work with a phone purchased 2 years from now? Pioneer has a terrible track record for updates, and this is what's holding me back from buying a new head unit. I might just stay with AutoMate for the time being.
    04-17-2015 08:17 PM
    This is my fear. How do we know that a 4100 bought today will work with a phone purchased 2 years from now? Pioneer has a terrible track record for updates, and this is what's holding me back from buying a new head unit. I might just stay with AutoMate for the time being.
    Android Auto (and Car Play) are based on standards that Google (and Apple, for CarPlay) gave to auto makers and after-market radio manufacturers. As long as they follow the standard, there shouldn't be a problem, regardless of the firmware or the phone. Android Auto actually runs on your phone (not on the head unit). The only thing the head unit does is run some middleware that passes info to/from your phone. And that middleware should be written to follow the communication standards that Google and Apple gave the OEMs.

The problems that people are having with various phones is due to the phone OEMs not quite following the standards that Google provided for Android Auto. For example, the modifications in TouchWiz on the latest Samsung devices are causing issues. Making changes to how voice commands are interpreted, how USB data is transmitted (and what mode the phone goes into when USB is connected), etc. Whether the OEMs will back off of their modifications or Google will update the Android Auto app to work around the non-standard implementations that these OEMs did, that's the question.

In other words, firmware updates on the head units really shouldn't be required for "fixing" Android Auto compatibility, as long as the standard was followed in the first place. Evidently, Pioneer didn't quite follow it in their initial firmware, and that's what 1.03 corrected. The idea is that Google shouldn't/wouldn't change the standard, so the head unit OEMs don't have to update firmware for it (once they get it working in the first place). The problem isn't going to be the head unit OEMs. It's going to be getting the phone OEMs to follow the standard, with all the changes they like to make to Android under the hood (looking at you, Samsung).
    the53rdcard likes this.
    04-17-2015 09:03 PM
    Hello all, new to the forum. The reason i joined is because i cant seem to get my AVH-4100NEX to take the 1.03 update and was trying to figure it out. I have the usb cable plugged into usb 1 on the head unit, I downloaded the pioneer file and put it on a new flash drive that I made sure was formated to FAT32 with nothing else on the drive. As soon as I plug it in and hit ok another window pops up and says something to the effect of make sure the file is on a USB or SD card that has nothing else on it. And then it take me back to where you say ok start the download screen is.
    I got fed up with it and tried moving it over to a SD card and trying it that way but I get the same result. Any other pointers? Thanks in advance!!!!
    06-28-2015 05:59 PM
33 12