What is up with the Galaxy S5 Voice compatibility with Android Auto?

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S5 Voice compatibility with Android Auto

Alright folks......I'm starting a new thread here in hopes that we can find an answer to the Galaxy S5 voice issue with Android Auto. As many other folks have posted, the microphone icon on the screen has no functionality. The same with the text voice function. There has to be a setting within the S5 that can make this work with Auto. Everything else with the S5 works great with Auto....except voice.

Anyone have this issue? Anyone have a fix/work around?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 Voice compatibility with Android Auto

Alright folks......I'm starting a new thread here in hopes that we can find an answer to the Galaxy S5 voice issue with Android Auto. As many other folks have posted, the microphone icon on the screen has no functionality. The same with the text voice function. There has to be a setting within the S5 that can make this work with Auto. Everything else with the S5 works great with Auto....except voice.

Anyone have this issue? Anyone have a fix/work around?
Hopefully you find the fix you are looking for. I'll keep an eye out and post here if I find something worth sharing.

sportbikedave

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

I am having the exact same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S5 and my Android Auto head unit (Pioneer AVIC-8100nex). My Galaxy S5 will also not work with the mirrorlink function or AppRadio Apps. I have Lollipop on my Galaxy S5 and I have rooted it. (No custom ROM).

Please let me know if anyone finds a way to make the Galaxy S5 voice/microphone work with Android Auto.

Dodsonman

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site

I am having the exact same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S5 and my Android Auto head unit (Pioneer AVIC-4100nex). My Galaxy S5 will also not work with the mirrorlink function or AppRadio Apps. I have Lollipop on my Galaxy S5

justeric78

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

After making over a dozen calls between Pioneer, Android, and Samsung I've found no one wants to take responsibility of course. Pioneer did say they are aware of the problem and working hard on a fix. Samsung, after multiple escalations, said they would escalate the case to engineers but said I'd probably never hear back from them but at least they know about the problem.

Ceej Bzk

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
i have an avic8100nex with a sprint galaxy s5 that has the 5.0 update and current android auto version. install was just done yesterday. when i plug the phone in and follow android auto app instructions, the head unit basically displays a button in top left with android auto logo... for less than a second and disapears... the cable charges the phone and its there, however the app doesnt work. any ideas?

are you all running a different providers s5? i heard the verizon s5 doesnt work, curious if the sprint s5 also doesnt work...

what carrier is going to get my business? i suppose this might be fixed by getting the s6 even though i want to skip that release.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
i have an avic8100nex with a sprint galaxy s5 that has the 5.0 update and current android auto version. install was just done yesterday. when i plug the phone in and follow android auto app instructions, the head unit basically displays a button in top left with android auto logo... for less than a second and disapears... the cable charges the phone and its there, however the app doesnt work. any ideas?

are you all running a different providers s5? i heard the verizon s5 doesnt work, curious if the sprint s5 also doesnt work...

what carrier is going to get my business? i suppose this might be fixed by getting the s6 even though i want to skip that release.

Have you tried turning on USB Debugging mode? That's the only way I've been able to get my Nexus 5 to work with it. Also, have you updated the firmware on the Pioneer. It should be on Firmware 1.03.

Ceej Bzk

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
yes - USB debugging is on, not sure it made a difference. same problems. it was off before and i saw that might be a fix so i changed it also. nothing.

after usb debugging is revoke usb debugging authorizations... not sure of other settings that could effect it... such as the dropdown from top bar option to say how the device should behave as usb... whether storage or camera or other could be causing issues...

Ceej Bzk

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
just got off the phone with pioneer and yes - horrible experience... they are blaming the phone people... the phone people are saying its the head unit people etc etc...

too many hands in the pot and a rush to get this out the door to only leave problems... they said usb debugging has nothing to do with it...

something isnt playing nice with something else... will be interesting to see what they say in the notes on the head unit firmware if it is their fault... "fixed a compatibility issue with galaxy s5 phones..." haha

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
just got off the phone with pioneer and yes - horrible experience... they are blaming the phone people... the phone people are saying its the head unit people etc etc...

too many hands in the pot and a rush to get this out the door to only leave problems... they said usb debugging has nothing to do with it...

something isnt playing nice with something else... will be interesting to see what they say in the notes on the head unit firmware if it is their fault... "fixed a compatibility issue with galaxy s5 phones..." haha

Forgive me for asking again, but I didn't see a reply to my question to you about whether your firmware was up to date. Is it?

Ceej Bzk

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
yes... 1.03 on head unit... latest software available from sprint on phone... cables all in the right place... pioneer now saying its not just the verizon g5 they have problems with and sprint also... "cause the phones the same"...

so they say its a android problem... their unit doesnt care about the phone as long as its 5.0 and has android auto... which doesnt seem to be the case with it not working.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
yes... 1.03 on head unit... latest software available from sprint on phone... cables all in the right place... pioneer now saying its not just the verizon g5 they have problems with and sprint also... "cause the phones the same"...

so they say its a android problem... their unit doesnt care about the phone as long as its 5.0 and has android auto... which doesnt seem to be the case with it not working.

I hear you. I figured there would be a bunch of finger-pointing. Hopefully, it will be resolved soon. I can't think of anything else to try.

Ceej Bzk

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
thanks for thinking it through... i tried the usual clearing caches reboots etc etc... still nothing... changed the the usb settings from camera to mtp to see if it would kick it out of gear... nothing...

the biggest downfall to these avic 8100's and other units is the stupid 1.6A outpower... in house phone charges at 1200-1800MAH... in the car it charges from 800-1000MAH so wayyy slower on charging it up... hope the new phones dont need more juice than that!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
thanks for thinking it through... i tried the usual clearing caches reboots etc etc... still nothing... changed the the usb settings from camera to mtp to see if it would kick it out of gear... nothing...

the biggest downfall to these avic 8100's and other units is the stupid 1.6A outpower... in house phone charges at 1200-1800MAH... in the car it charges from 800-1000MAH so wayyy slower on charging it up... hope the new phones dont need more juice than that!

I asked pioneer about that, actually. 1A confirmed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I asked pioneer about that, actually. 1A confirmed.

Posted via the Android Central App

That's a little disappointing, but not a deal-breaker, given that the screen is off. If the phone was being used the way I used to use it (screen on all the time for navigation/status and simultaneously streaming music or taking calls) then 1.0A wouldn't be sufficient. The phone would use power faster than a 1.0A charger could keep up. I had actually upgraded my 12V charger to a 4.2A unit (2.1A per USB port) for that very reason.

Since I've been using Android Auto, I've found that my phone does manage to recharge (and if my trip is long enough, get topped off). It's certainly slower to charge than my previous setup, but I can live with it.

sportbikedave

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (Sprint) with Lollipop and rooted. Still waiting for a fix for the microphone on Android Auto. In the meantime, I wanted to mention that since I could not get mirrorlink working either, I went ahead and purchased "AppRadio Unchained Reloaded" from the Google Play store. I now have full android mirroring on my Pioneer AVIC-8100nex. NOTE: I had to use the Samsung MHL/HDMI adaptor and use a Car 12v cable that supports 2.4A Power output that plugs into the MHL adapter. (If you use the 1.0A USB cable coming from the back of the Pioneer HU itself, the MHL adapter will continuously display "HDMI Connected" then "HDMI Disconnected" over and over.)

hasnolimits

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I cannot get my android auto to work.I installed an 8100 NEX And am on a sprint s5. when I connect my phone to Android auto appears and then immediately disappears I flashed a 1.3 and still can't get it to work.I did buy Amazon USB 3.0 extension cables and did not use the one that came with the head unit do you think its not working because I'm using the amazon cables?

Ceej Bzk

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
welcome to our world has no limits... either switch out for another phone or apple.

major compatibility issue currently between the 5.0 android and 8100... wait for android update to something now currently on the sprint.... its the software it seems, and something about he HU not liking it or vice versa, so maybe with 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 or 5.1 or whatever else they might update 5.0 with on g5 will solve it or something else android 5.0 like moto X or other device.

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
welcome to our world has no limits... either switch out for another phone or apple.

major compatibility issue currently between the 5.0 android and 8100... wait for android update to something now currently on the sprint.... its the software it seems, and something about he HU not liking it or vice versa, so maybe with 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 or 5.1 or whatever else they might update 5.0 with on g5 will solve it or something else android 5.0 like moto X or other device.

This. It seems like all the Samsung phones on lollipop are having issues with pioneer stereos. I have an avh-x5500bhs and lost all my voice functions when I upgraded my note 3 to lollipop. I want to upgrade to the 4100nex but the audio store I went to didn't have the mic hooked up to the head unit to try the voice functions. No telling how long it will take to get fixed.

Posted via Android Central App

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
This. It seems like all the Samsung phones on lollipop are having issues with pioneer stereos. I have an avh-x5500bhs and lost all my voice functions when I upgraded my note 3 to lollipop. I want to upgrade to the 4100nex but the audio store I went to didn't have the mic hooked up to the head unit to try the voice functions. No telling how long it will take to get fixed.

Great news. /sarcasm

I'm beginning to find a few ways Verizon has "toyed" with these phones in other apps. I'll see if I can make some noise over there to get to the bottom of this.