Kenwood Android Auto Receivers

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
There isn't really any official information that has been released since January; no idea what these units will cost, or what their confirmed feature lists will be.

However, based on the information I have gathered via the initial information released (the best information can be found here: Kenwood CarPlay & Android Auto - DDX9902s & DDX9702s - Car Stereo Reviews & News + Tuning, Wiring, How to Guide's) and some recent tidbits pulled from Kenwood USA's Facebook page, I can guess that the upcoming DDX9902S and DDX9702S units from Kenwood correspond to their current models DDX8901HD and DDX7701HD respectively (they even look the same, with the same interface), only with Android Auto and CarPlay included.

There is one interesting thing about this for Android phones: On the donor units (8901 and 7701), with the HDMI connector and Kenwood's Smartphone app, you can actually use and control Waze on the head unit (provided the parking brake is applied, but since this is Kenwood, you can likely ground the parking brake wire to bypass this). As this looks like a minor upgrade/tweak to allow CarPlay and Android Auto use, this feature could potentially be retained, as the HDMI/MHL source is retained in these head units and Kenwood is notorious for delivering "incremental" updates.

I did learn from Kenwood USA's Facebook page that these units will only have one USB input (which leads me to believe that these are the new versions of the 8901 and 7701), which kind of sucks because you won't be able to play an iPod Classic while using Google Maps on Android Auto like you can with the Pioneer head units.

No idea what the pricing is yet; I expect these to be in line with the MSRP for the 4100NEX, as there is no on-board navigation included. As these are slated to be released late next month, it's kind of weird that there's no other information on this one.

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
from talking with a rep they will be $700 and $750

Already got a quote from my local shop for install in my Jeep.

Just waiting for the hardware to drop! June is the current target.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci