Previously working Nexus 6 suddenly states device cannot work with android auto

allen g

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Ive been enjoying android auto for about 4 weeks now with my AVIC8100NEX. However in the last day when i plug in my phone I am now getting device cannot work with android auto screen. I've tried clearing play services cache as well as android auto cache, nothing seems to work. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

Thanks!

geoff39

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Ive been enjoying android auto for about 4 weeks now with my AVIC8100NEX. However in the last day when i plug in my phone I am now getting device cannot work with android auto screen. I've tried clearing play services cache as well as android auto cache, nothing seems to work. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

Thanks!

Same thing for me. Huge red exclamation point. I also did a factory reset on the phone, reset the 8100nex settings and still have the same problem.

allen g

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been messing around with it this morning. I am starting to suspect the 7.3.29 google play service is the culprit. Downgrading to 7.0.99 seems to make it work for a few seconds, up until the google play service updates itself automatically. I've tried connecting the phone in airplane mode to prevent this but android auto doesn't launch at all when the phone is in airplane mode.

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my VZW Galaxy S5. Was previously working now I get the same error message. It's definitely the Play Services that caused it. They update play services to make the Galaxy S6 work which makes other phones stop working. Makes sense.

allen g

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I think I've figured it out. It definitely is the google play services update 7.3.29 on a N6 running Android 5.0.1. I can take out my SIM and block google play through my home firewalls then downgrade to 7.0.99 and it works flawlessly. I then tried to manually update to Android 5.1.0 with google play services 7.3.29 and it also works flawlessly. So my recommendation is to manually apply the 5.1 update.

To verify my findings I tried to go back to 5.0.1 and once 7.3.29 services come down it no longer works. And went back to 5.1 and it works again. Definitely an issue with 5.0.1 and google play services 7.3.29 combination.

All of this testing was done with factory images, the only non factory application installed was android auto. all partitions on the device were formatted prior to applying system images.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37