iPhone carplay is much better! Someone with Auto (please) prove me wrong!

applehater00

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad I read the first impressions thread - going to stay with iPhone!

Lifelong Apple man but was about to buy an Android as I hate the company (Apple) and wanted something with removable battery and am/was on the verge of buying a Note 4 only to see that it would be pointless as going by the messages in that thread. Before anyone thinks I'm an apple fanboy trying to create a flame war just look at my username. I detest Apple with a passion but the sad truth seems to be that annoying as they are they are still doing things the way they should be done. What I've gleaned (that is putting me off massively) so far:

1) Tapping the mic icon doesn't work, in order to get voice commands - what is the point of AA without easy access to voice commands?? (No I don't have steering control and no I will not be willing to press the button on the phone!). Might work if I root it though? Dunno. but then what's the point in the Note 4? I'm guessing Note 4 will have the same limitation s the S5 in this regard but am very much hoping someone with a Note 4 can tell me I'm bang wrong!

2) The BIGGEST shock for me has to be that Google Play seems ***RUBBISH***. i.e. from what I understand you can't even browse songs easily???? Like, you can't choose album/ artist/song without scrolling down thousands of songs or creating playlists somehow?? This seems a MASSIVE ****-up by Google/Android!! As I'm an Apple man (much as I hate it) I don't know how Android works: are these likely to be sorted soon or is it likely to remain like this for months and be pointless? I don't know if I want to take the risk.

One possible saving grace for Android: I saw a video where someone jumps out of Android Auto and the song he chose on GP is somehow playing on Pioneer's inbuilt system. This may be a saving grace somehow if it means that the Pioneer's inbuilt player has some sort of semi-decent browser? Cos then you could jump out of AA and select songs that way?

Another possible saviour for AA is that perhaps other apps will give us a semi decent browser?

Really disappointed and very glad I haven't wasted £1000+ switching over to Android.... much as I detest Apple, the sad truth is that when they do something they do it right, and I may well be better off sticking with a properly thought out and polished system even with all its annoyances...

I'm really hoping to be bashed down and be proven utterly wrong here.... but I doubt it.

StanleyMan

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Most of what you said is incorrect. I'm on my phone though so I don't have time to refute every statement. If you hate apple switch to the note 4th. If you're not happy with that, you won't be happy with anything.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Most of what you said is incorrect. I'm on my phone though so I don't have time to refute every statement. If you hate apple switch to the note 4th. If you're not happy with that, you won't be happy with anything.

True, but he is correct about Google Play Music in Android Auto; that app needs a library browser/alternative to voice control badly. Voice control to find music and playlists is the most asinine thing ever. Even outside of Android Auto, when I try to do this on my phone using Google Voice, it can't find what I want it to play (especially if it's a Podcast).

Going through my phonebook or navigation? Fine. Not ideal but it at least works.

One thing I will hand to Apple is that when it comes to music, they can always fall back on "iPod" style controls. They just "work" for the most part. But voice control = Poo Poo.

applehater00

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Please do refute if you have the time mate. You'll be leaning on an open door as I want to move but won't spend £100s on a Note 4 if it means the Auto experience is worthless!

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the audio playback templates that are provided developers need a little work. While I understand large touch targets, it is not a great layout.

I think Android Auto has a long way to go, but that is typical of Google's first release of anything. It will, most likely, get better (email, yelp, glympse, waze, offline nav, OBD2 display, etc.) and add the things I need/want when driving. At that time we will hopefully have more choice in head units as well. So, as much as I want a new gadget to play with, seems silly to buy 1.0 hardware on 1.0 software when it is currently more of a distraction than my Moto X sitting in a console mount, not to mention less capable.

pupuslinger

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I have a note 4 and my mic works fine, dont have a problem with the voice controls. That being said, if i say my home address to find my way home, she sais "I dont know what to do with ( says my address correctly)", so not sure whats up with that.

The browser thing is bull****, cant browser at all really, especially if you are driving. You can play songs out of AA but you still cant browse, you can just controll whats playing, ie play, pause, skip ect....

I guess it is fine for now but it is in a real need of some impovement. My phone is not really accessible with the way I mounted my docking station so the search needs to be fixed, especially if I am not even driving my car.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a note 4 and my mic works fine, dont have a problem with the voice controls. That being said, if i say my home address to find my way home, she sais "I dont know what to do with ( says my address correctly)", so not sure whats up with that.

The browser thing is bull****, cant browser at all really, especially if you are driving. You can play songs out of AA but you still cant browse, you can just controll whats playing, ie play, pause, skip ect....

I guess it is fine for now but it is in a real need of some impovement. My phone is not really accessible with the way I mounted my docking station so the search needs to be fixed, especially if I am not even driving my car.

Who's your carrier?

(this just makes me even madder that my previous phone broke before the Note 4, the phone I really wanted, came out... I'd like to switch, but....)

applehater00

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

Hi mate thanks for this info, very helpful!. Can you tell me: do you just press the microphone touch button on the stereo and it works? Or do you have to press a button on the phone or something? Because from what I read and have tried on the S5 pressing the mic button on the Pioneer does nothing.

And will saying "ok google" or whatever it is work as well to activate it on the Note 4?

The browser thing is extremely annoying and it's quite frankly shocking that there isn't some sort of search /browse function. Safety is not an excuse seeing as all head units have much more complex searhc and browse functions which are perfectly legal and safe. Android had best sort this out ASAP!

What do yo umean your phoen isn't accessible? When in AA your phone should be deadscreened anyway right? Or are you somehow able to use it, because if you can that's a potential solution i.e. just have the phone in a good dock position and you can control music on that and nav on the HU until Android sort out this basic issue!!

octobermagic

Jun 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
Right now, CarPlay is smoother as far as operation IMO, and more versatile for music playback (unless you're on Spotify). But I have absolutely no issues with the in car mic to do anything on AA. AA will get better with more apps, but it's an acquired taste. Works flawlessly with the M9 on the AVH 4100nex.

howie_stud

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you buddy.

I recently bough Veho SAEM on Cannykart. I dont seem a way to connect with Carplay. I own a Volvo Sedan. My wife has no problems in connecting with her infotainment on her Primus. Apple should allow third party products.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I dunno what's going on here, but (1) No, you don't press anything on the phone. You *can't* press anything on the phone. the voice button on the head unit screen works just fine.

Agree on GP Music, though. It's way too limited.

lawguyman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can bypass the Android Auto screen on my phone by swiping down from the top of the screen (on a BlackBerry Priv).

I run Waze this way while still using Android Auto.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user