I have heard that if you make a call with the Hangouts Dialer over a data rather than cellular connection (VoIP), with Android Auto, the call doesn't go through the car microphone and speaker as with normal Bluetooth type in car calls.

Can anyone corroborate this?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"
    05-13-2015 08:29 PM
    The Hangouts dialer isn't available in AA.
    05-14-2015 03:48 AM
    For those of us who use Google Voice, can we still text?

I also use freedompop which makes all phone calls via data. Are you saying this too is unusable on AA?

Do you know if there are plans to make Hangouts Dialer work with AA?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"
    05-14-2015 11:05 AM
    Does this also mean Project Fi doesn't work?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"
    05-14-2015 11:07 AM
    AFAIK, you can only make calls from your carrier number.
    05-14-2015 07:52 PM
    So AA removes my car's ability to make Bluetooth calls that worked perfectly before in apps like Skype and Hangouts? It kills Bluetooth?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"
    05-14-2015 08:03 PM
    IIRC, there is a AA version of Skype.
    05-14-2015 09:15 PM
    So AA removes my car's ability to make Bluetooth calls that worked perfectly before in apps like Hangouts? It kills Bluetooth functionality?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"
    05-14-2015 10:09 PM
    To be clear, AA removes all functionally of your phone, except the apps that have been designed and approved for AA (and even those apps have limited features and simplified interfaces).

No notifications other than calls and texts either.
    05-15-2015 07:24 AM
    To be clear, AA removes all functionally of your phone, except the apps that have been designed and approved for AA (and even those apps have limited features and simplified interfaces).

No notifications other than calls and texts either.
    That's not actually what it does. It doesn't remove anything. Android Auto is simply selective (by nature) about what it passes through.

For instance: Text messages show up in Hangouts. But ordinary Hangouts messages are not passed on to Android Auto.

Your phone still gets everything.
    05-15-2015 08:32 AM
    So AA removes my car's ability to make Bluetooth calls that worked perfectly before in apps like Hangouts? It kills Bluetooth functionality?

"Recordar es vivir"
    Right now calls are made via traditional Bluetooth, using the SIM number. (Same for texts, at least last time I checked.) The Android Auto UI is still used though. Very possible they could update everything for this at some point.
    05-15-2015 08:34 AM
    For those of us who use Google Voice, can we still text?
    Yes, it just comes in as the SIM number. (Which confuses the hell out of my wife.)

I also use freedompop which makes all phone calls via data. Are you saying this too is unusable on AA?
    Very good question. Not sure.

Do you know if there are plans to make Hangouts Dialer work with AA?
    That's up to Google. But it wouldn't surprise me if they made it work.
    05-15-2015 08:36 AM
    Text messages show up in Hangouts. But ordinary Hangouts messages are not passed on to Android Auto.
    That hasn't been my experience. If I say send a hangouts message, it is sent via hangouts from my Google account, and I receive the replies by the same method.

Now I have always originated these chats with AA; not sure how it behaves if the chat is originated by someone else.
    05-15-2015 08:45 AM
    That hasn't been my experience. If I say send a hangouts message, it is sent via hangouts from my Google account, and I receive the replies by the same method.

Now I have always originated these chats with AA; not sure how it behaves if the chat is originated by someone else.
    Hmmmm. Could well be the case. (Or could have changed since I last looked.) Either way, that's a good thing.
    05-15-2015 09:29 AM
    Yup
    05-15-2015 09:34 AM
    Thanks Phil.

If a Bluetooth call comes in on Hangouts Dialer, could I answer that call using my phone screen?

Would the Bluetooth then work as before?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"
    05-15-2015 11:22 AM
    I have a 2013 Moto X with Kit Kat. I can receive calls through Google Voice over hangouts. the car's bluetooth does kick in. When I initiate a Google Voice hangouts call through the phone, it will activate the cars Bluetooth. I am on a Honda CRV 2015.

Posted via Android Central App
    flyboy06 likes this.
    06-14-2015 04:41 PM