Can't get AA to work with new Sonata

Eric Bonney

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So I just bought a new 2015 Sonata and it appears to have AA but I can't seem to get connected. I have downloaded the app and I have also ensured that the Android Auto has been turned on in the car settings.

When I plug the USB cable I to the car and then into my Nexus 6, nothing comes up. I have looked into the menus and my Android Auto menu seems to be greyed out.

Anyone have ideas on how to get things up and running?

Thanks,
Eric

Posted via the Android Central App

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
On many (all ?) devices it appears USB debugging has to be enabled on the phone.

Go to System Settings-> About and tap on Build Number 7 times.

When it says developer mode is enabled go to System Settings-> Developer Options and enable USB debugging.

Strange but still true it seems.

ssbechtold3

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue. In the Sonata you need to go to Setup -> Connectivity -> Enable Android Auto

It will stop being grayed out then.

Eric Bonney

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So it was the USB debugging issue for me. Once I turned that on all was fine. I don't get this at all. I mean I am a tech person, do development work on Android and I still couldn't get this in my own. Fortunately for me I know where to go look for help, but most will not. I am surprised that this "bug" has made it to production like this.

I haven't had the chance to turn it off now and see if it still works but I will give it a go later tonight.

Thanks for the help I really needed it!

Posted via the Android Central App

ssbechtold3

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I'll have to give it a try. I have issues where the USB randomly disconnects and reconnects in the middle of a car ride. Maybe making that change will solve that problem.

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
So it was the USB debugging issue for me. Once I turned that on all was fine. I don't get this at all.

Exactly, it's a silly problem that no end user will figure out by themself, and that is not documented anywhere on Google sites. I'm guessing Android Auto installations are still pretty rare.

Devs don't notice because they almost always have debugging functions enabled.

A month ago Google accidentally released a "dogfood" release and people had weird phone numbers and emails all over the screen. Amateur hour stuff.

Yes, it seems that after the first successful connect or two, USB debugging can be turned back off. Works on my Nexus 7's.

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to give it a try. I have issues where the USB randomly disconnects and reconnects in the middle of a car ride. Maybe making that change will solve that problem.

I think a LOT of USB problems are due to flakey cables and bad connections. Add movement in a car and connections can break.

Rick Trotter

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2015 Sonata...it has Android auto... we have new LG G4 phones 5.1 android os.... the dealer used his s6....connected right away...the mgr at Verizon connected his s6 right away.... I had to purchase new cables 2.1 amp usb for the phones....then after enabling usb debugging...and selecting stay awake....MY phone connected and I used it a few times Andriod auto.....

My wife's phone also an LG G4 will not connect....same settings everything....it flips a message USB Installer..... will not connect.....power phone down...restart....nothing ....

Last night MY phone that connected every time would not connect ...flips a message repeatedly USB Installer..... I called Verizon...no answers.... they said call Google.....as they own andriod....google said call Verizon.....lol..... no one knows what to do...or is familiar with android auto

anyone have any suggestions???

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2015 Sonata...it has Android auto... we have new LG G4 phones 5.1 android os.... the dealer used his s6....connected right away...the mgr at Verizon connected his s6 right away.... I had to purchase new cables 2.1 amp usb for the phones....then after enabling usb debugging...and selecting stay awake....MY phone connected and I used it a few times Andriod auto.....

My wife's phone also an LG G4 will not connect....same settings everything....it flips a message USB Installer..... will not connect.....power phone down...restart....nothing ....

Last night MY phone that connected every time would not connect ...flips a message repeatedly USB Installer..... I called Verizon...no answers.... they said call Google.....as they own andriod....google said call Verizon.....lol..... no one knows what to do...or is familiar with android auto

Have you installed any USB specific apps that might be popping up and interfering with USB ?

"USB Installer" is not part of any generic Android USB message I am aware of and may be a clue.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

The USB Installer mode is Verizon-specific BS, I feel it was a major issue in getting Verizon phones to work with Android Auto. Are you able to actually go to your phone's USB "MTP" mode once connected to your car?

Rick Trotter

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Once i connected it didnt seem to make,a,diffance what usb mode it was in...but....now neither phone connects...i just get a cycling usb installer on either phone i try... I talked to verizon...google and lg...no answers..i told them all that,it is clear,it is a usb issue...one i got the usb installer,to quit...it,connected...not now...so you say the USB INSTALLER cycling is a verizon specific message...issue?

Rick Trotter

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I may have solved this..... My lg g4..... Turn phone OFF then PLUG in usb to phone and the car....start car.... Boot the phone... You will see the head say...reading usb...disconnect and reconnect the phone now...works everytime now on both out phones

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I may have solved this..... My lg g4..... Turn phone OFF then PLUG in usb to phone and the car....start car.... Boot the phone... You will see the head say...reading usb...disconnect and reconnect the phone now...works everytime now on both out phones

Android Auto is still not "ready for prime-time". Here's an alternative that might work:

On many devices it appears USB debugging has to be enabled on the phone.

When it says developer mode is enabled go to System Settings-> Developer Options and enable USB debugging.

Sometimes I've found things work by simply toggling USB debugging. Sometimes on, sometimes off, sometimes off then on.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Android Auto is still not "ready for prime-time". Here's an alternative that might work:

On many devices it appears USB debugging has to be enabled on the phone.

Sometimes I've found things work by simply toggling USB debugging. Sometimes on, sometimes off, sometimes off then on.

I always use USB debugging (I am on a VZW GS5); if only because the time my phone spends in "USB Installer mode" is greatly diminished to the point it goes to "Connected to a USB Accessory" (which is the mode that Android Auto uses on this phone) almost immediately. I hope that this will be a signal to carriers that the "USB Installer" is useless; just put a link to the OEM drivers somewhere on the phone or something.

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
it was usb debugging for me as well, but i also found another issue, after it worked, i went back to use it the next day and it didnt, as i was going to unplug the usb cable it shifted just enough that it started working. i replaced the cable with a new one and have had zero issues after. So if you have any problems, wiggle the cable attached to the phone. Never know, it might work

cqondtantg

May 13, 2017
Visit site
USB Debugging mode is needed because it triggers the installation or initialisation of ADB USB drivers on the cars Linux operating system. Without these drivers active, the car cannot delve into the Androids Root operating system. It's not obvious to most users and until Google give the user the option to turn it on after a warning note it's always gonna be a bone of contention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34