What are the Google Play Music capabilities through Android Auto?

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone that has this, can you explain what is and is not possible with google play music? Can you play and switch between specific radio stations that are in my library? Can you also select and switch between existing playlists that in my library? Can you thumbs up and thumbs down songs?

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Press the overflow menu button (the stacked triple dots icon on the 2nd screenshot) and you will get thumbs up and thumbs down buttons.

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed that if I'm listening to a playlist on shuffle before I plug the phone into the head unit then that shuffle setting stays while using play music on AA.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter whether the phone is plugged into the car before starting the car? Or makes no difference? Picking up my Hyundai Sonata tomorrow.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Does it matter whether the phone is plugged into the car before starting the car? Or makes no difference? Picking up my Hyundai Sonata tomorrow.

Wait until the phone has paired with the Sonata. Upon pairing, Sonata will sometimes update the contacts first. After it's done, plug in the phone. Enable developer options on the phone with USB debugging turned on. You'll also need to go to the Settings on the Sonata, and in Connectivity, turn on Android Auto before the car will recognize it. Hope this helps.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Very helpful. Thank you.

I've read some about the first-time setup procedure. It basically outlined:
  • Turn on Android Auto in Sonata settings.
  • Install Android Auto app on the phone.
  • Connect phone to car via USB before doing bluetooth pairing.
  • Open Android Auto app on the phone.
  • Setup as prompted and Bluetooth pairing will happen as part of that process.

As someone who apparently knows the Sonata, do you agree with that setup process? My phone is the HTC One M9.

Any glitches with Android Auto in the Sonata that you've stumbled across yet? I've read some other comments that to initiate voice commands using Google on your phone you have to hold the steering wheel voice button for 2-seconds? Just pushing it momentarily will initiate the car's voice recognition and kick you out of Android Auto? They weren't specific on what car / radio they were referring to however.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
My aftermarket (Pioneer) unit is integrated with the steering wheel controls and I need to push and hold my steering wheel voice button for 1-2 seconds before getting the voice prompt from Android Auto. If I push and release, the Pioneer voice command feature comes up.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Picked up my Sonata today. Everything seems to work well except some of the Google Play Music radio station functionality is a mess. When I select Google Play Music radio stations on the Sonata there is a list of radio stations. Some of them are my stations from my phone and they play fine. Others are stations that I don't have on my phone and when I try to play them it says Google Play Music is not working correctly or something similar. Other than that it seems to work great.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
If you have the free version of Google Play Music then you are limited to music you have in your own library. If you subscribe to Google Play Music All Access ($10/mo) then you have access to the full library of music and radio stations. Maybe you're running into the limitation of the free service - you can have radio stations built form songs in your own library.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz