Should I spring for the new Kenwood Unit or higher grade Pioneer?

Mptrh336

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the NEX4100 and for the most part love the receiver. I recently bought a Note 4 after having broken the screen on my N6. (Just came across a deal to good to pass) I've never had an issue with the Nexus with regard to AA navigation, but I noticed today that the Note doesn't keep a good GPS lock. I read somewhere that the new Kenwood units use an onboard GPS chip with AA. I was curious is the higher end Pioneer units with Nav built in would use their onboard GPS or still use the GPS from the phone? Is there a GPS dongle I can add to my 4100? Any suggestion would be helpful! If I replace the unit I'll be passing on the 4100 to my wife's vehicle for her to use CarPlay anyway.

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You could always add the AVIC-U260 to add on an external GPS antennae to the NEX4100 - cheaper than buying a new HU if you didn't want to spend the money. Amazon has it for around $300, but here's the Pioneer page:

AVIC-U260 - <b>NEW!</b> - Add-on Navigation System with Built-In Traffic Tuner for "Navigation Ready" DVD Receivers | Pioneer Electronics USA

As you mentioned, AA will utilize an external GPS if it's available. Adding this to your NEX4100 should provide that external antennae. I believe it will also add the navigation interface from the NEX7100/8100 as well, so you'll have that to fall back on if you ever want/need to.

JaseVernon

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Definitely get the Pioneer! I had the Kenwood in my truck for 2 weeks and couldn't get Android Auto to work. Now I probably got a lemon, so that aside, I took it back and upgraded to the Pioneer. It was $150 difference at my local dealer, and worth every penny.

• 2 USB ports so you can leave your phone plugged in and an ipod etc
  • Detachable face plate, so better security
  • Wireless Remote
  • Greater control over customization of the interface
  • Smoother interaction with the deck
    • SD Card slot (although I never checked the Kenwood)

Just at first glance and I haven't had the Pioneer a day yet.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Definitely get the Pioneer! I had the Kenwood in my truck for 2 weeks and couldn't get Android Auto to work. Now I probably got a lemon, so that aside, I took it back and upgraded to the Pioneer. It was $150 difference at my local dealer, and worth every penny.

• 2 USB ports so you can leave your phone plugged in and an ipod etc
  • Detachable face plate, so better security
  • Wireless Remote
  • Greater control over customization of the interface
  • Smoother interaction with the deck
    • SD Card slot (although I never checked the Kenwood)

Just at first glance and I haven't had the Pioneer a day yet.

I agree with this. A 4100NEX is probably the better investment, just for the 2 USB ports alone. There are a lot of connection options.

I think that the Kenwood, with 1USB port is (unfortunately) looking like how many OEMs will end up implementing AA.

I would only recommend it if you are used to Kenwood's interface, or you do absolutely everything (phone/music/nav) from your phone, and don't use any other USB or Bluetooth devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084