Moto G3 and Android Auto

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
So, my Nexus 5 died and long story short, I picked up the new Moto G (the 8GB variant available in Canada).

I am more than a little troubled to get this screen when plugging the phone into the Pioneer unit though. The phone should be capable enough...is it just too new for the compatibility test?

Screenshot_2015-08-05-16-57-38.png

Last edited:

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think Phil has/had a new Moto G and (as far as I'm aware) still has a Pioneer HU in his car. Maybe you can summon him to see if he has it working?

What does Android Auto Check say? I know that site hasn't always been reliable, so take it with a grain of salt.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully Phil can chime in here.

Android Auto Check's mobile site asks for my location but then never responds. When I ask for the desktop site version from the phone, I get a "Sorry" message.
Screenshot_2015-08-06-08-58-51.png

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey!

I've used the new Moto G with AA. Only weirdness I can note — and I really can't tell if it's inherent to the phone or just the occasional AA wonk we see — was that I actually had to set the parking brake to get the initial connection to take.

Never had to do that before, iirc.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Well, I've been trying everything I can think of and just made sure the parking brake was set but I still get the "incompatible" screen. Any suggestions for me?

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion - looks like I have version 7.8.99 which looks like the most current one according to APK mirror. Looks like I am stuck waiting for an update to GPS?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion - looks like I have version 7.8.99 which looks like the most current one according to APK mirror. Looks like I am stuck waiting for an update to GPS?

Doubtful. (And seriously, don't sideload google play services.)

Try a different cable yet?

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I think I've tried the obvious things, but probably not the clever things :)

Note that my Pioneer 8100 setup was working great with Nexus 5 until that phone died. My setup is stock too, I avoid side-loading and I keep my apps auto-updated.

I've tried:
- emergency brake
- alternate USB cable (although it was working fine with Nexus 5)
- turning USB debugging on/off
- plugging it into my headunit daily (OK, this one is just wishful thinking)

I've seen other posts that say that a Google Play Services update may bring newer phones into compatibility - is that what you're doubtful of? I don't understand how it worked for you, except I have the low-end MotoG (8GB model) since that is all I could get here in Canada.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
We've got the same version of services. So that's probably not it.

*Only* other thing I can think of — and I don't know why this would be the case, offhand — is that I had beta versions of some of the moto apps. But I really don't think that'd have anything to do with it.

The 8GB/1GB model is an interesting variable, though.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
So glad to hear this is acknowledged and I am not crazy (at least not for this anyway). Looking forward to a solution soon...I miss not having Android Auto in the car.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So glad to hear this is acknowledged and I am not crazy (at least not for this anyway). Looking forward to a solution soon...I miss not having Android Auto in the car.

Maybe a long shot, but there was an update to the AA app yesterday. That help?

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if it was a Google Play Services or Android Auto update, but AA now works with my Moto G 3rd gen (2015). The phone processor may not be up to the task though, it seems quite laggy compared to what I've experienced with the Nexus 5.