Has anyone had experience using both an aftermarket unit and an oem (preferably the Hyundai) unit and is one better than the other in terms of functionality?

On either, can you use the unit features while android auto is running? (like play xm radio and use Google maps)

Also, if you are talking on the phone and then get into the car, and plug in for Android auto, will the call carry over to the cars audio system?

My reason for asking is that I currently have a 2013 se sonata and I'm debating whether to buy an aftermarket unit or buy a '15 limited sonata (also for the blind spot sensors and parking sensors) with a capable head unit pre-installed.

I know it probably sounds crazy buying a new car with my current one being only 2 years old, but my current system of an ipod for music and my phone via Bluetooth for Spotify and podcasts isn't ideal. Being able to use my phone for everything with metadata on the screen sounds amazing! Not to mention Google maps with real time traffic info.

Posted via the Android Central App
    biotron2000 likes this.
    09-23-2015 12:02 PM
    Android Auto has changed my entire driving experience. The music works well, the voice texting is outstanding, and the mapping is phenomenal. I drive to Los Angeles a lot, and more than once it has automatically rerouted me around traffic and accidents to keep me on my way. Saying I love it would be an understatement.
    Pedrore likes this.
    09-23-2015 12:38 PM
    Android Auto has changed my entire driving experience. The music works well, the voice texting is outstanding, and the mapping is phenomenal. I drive to Los Angeles a lot, and more than once it has automatically rerouted me around traffic and accidents to keep me on my way. Saying I love it would be an understatement.
    Wow! That's quite a glowing review! Do you have an oem unit or one of the aftermarket ones?

09-23-2015 12:55 PM
    I have the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. I added on a backup camera from Amazon as well.
    09-23-2015 02:32 PM
    Cool! My car already has a backup camera and gps, so I shouldn't have to get those if I decide to go with an aftermarket.

biotron2000 likes this.
    09-23-2015 02:56 PM
    I have a 2016 honda accord. The accord has 2 screens and the upper screen can show redundant information from AA like next turn info and whatever media is playing. In the accord, the audio source is independent of AA. If you want to listen to FM, Sirius or whatever and have google maps running, you can. You cannot use bluetooth audio like bluetooth pandora or Aha w/ AA running.

With the redundant upper screen information, its easy to see the sirius station/track and have maps taking up the lower screen. Or conversely you could have the lower screen showing the audio source and rely on the upper screen for the next turn information. It all works really well and its somewhat hard to explain. Let me know if you have additional questions.
    09-24-2015 12:20 PM
    I have a 2016 honda accord. The accord has 2 screens and the upper screen can show redundant information from AA like next turn info and whatever media is playing. In the accord, the audio source is independent of AA. If you want to listen to FM, Sirius or whatever and have google maps running, you can. You cannot use bluetooth audio like bluetooth pandora or Aha w/ AA running.

With the redundant upper screen information, its easy to see the sirius station/track and have maps taking up the lower screen. Or conversely you could have the lower screen showing the audio source and rely on the upper screen for the next turn information. It all works really well and its somewhat hard to explain. Let me know if you have additional questions.
    That sounds great! Thank you! Hopefully Hyundai will be the same way. In the youtube demos it looked like you had to switch between the two interfaces and they couldn't be run at the same time.

I also wonder about the annoying feature that noone seems to go in depth about - the "no more items can be displayed" message when scrolling for more than 6 clicks. Have you run into it, and how can you get what you want if it's past the message? For example, in Google music, my music is in playlists. Let's say the song I want to listen to in my playlist is more than 6 clicks deep. If I voice the song title, will it play the song within the playlist and then continue playing the playlist? And then can I also randomize the playlist songs?

I'm so used to navigating by playlists now that voicing one song at a time would be frustrating.
    09-24-2015 09:37 PM
    I had the Pioneer 4100 in a Chevy Equinox. A bad installation experience, coupled with major repair expenses was enough to convince me to find an alternative. I have the 2015 Hyundai limited, and AA runs perfectly on it. I'm happy with Google Maps, although real time route updating does seem to be a little slow for me, but that could just be due to reception issues. Voice searching and commands work very well. Two things I would like to see.. an audio notifcation that a text has come in... I often miss them if I don't happen to look at the screen at the right time.. and a little more time to give a verbal reply to a text message. If I hesitate slightly, I don't get the whole reply in. The car itself rocks!
    ireknole likes this.
    09-25-2015 05:49 AM
    I had the Pioneer 4100 in a Chevy Equinox. A bad installation experience, coupled with major repair expenses was enough to convince me to find an alternative. I have the 2015 Hyundai limited, and AA runs perfectly on it. I'm happy with Google Maps, although real time route updating does seem to be a little slow for me, but that could just be due to reception issues. Voice searching and commands work very well. Two things I would like to see.. an audio notifcation that a text has come in... I often miss them if I don't happen to look at the screen at the right time.. and a little more time to give a verbal reply to a text message. If I hesitate slightly, I don't get the whole reply in. The car itself rocks!
    Awesome! Can it handle both systems (Hyundai and AA) simultaneously so you can get Google Maps navigation while listening to xm? I know a poster said it does in the Honda, but I just want to be sure Hyundai is the same way

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    09-25-2015 06:00 AM
    In my accord you get the standard notification sound through the speakers when a text is received. I agree that it does not like pauses when dictating a response.

I have yet to run into the 6 click problem but I don't use playlists either. Just podcasts and prime/pandora "stations."
    09-25-2015 08:30 AM
    In my accord you get the standard notification sound through the speakers when a text is received. I agree that it does not like pauses when dictating a response.

I have yet to run into the 6 click problem but I don't use playlists either. Just podcasts and prime/pandora "stations."
    Ah. Thank you. I'm going be at the Hyundai dealer on Saturday so I'm going to try out the system for myself. I haven't really seen a review for Google music for people that use playlists and shuffle for their music, so I'll have to see for myself if their interface will work for me.

One more question, do you have anything downloaded to your phone or do you stream everything? I try to download as much as I can, podcasts and music, so I don't use as much data. I have a 10gb plan, but it still worries me. I wonder if Google (or pocketcasts) use the downloaded version if it's available, or if it just streams everything.

09-25-2015 09:01 AM
    Google Play Music will play from downloads if they are locally available and if you want to "pin" music to your device you can set the Google Play Music app to only play downloaded content and prevent any streaming.
    09-25-2015 09:29 AM
    I stream everything on a 5gb plan and I don't have any problems with overage.
    09-25-2015 12:18 PM
    I stream everything on a 5gb plan and I don't have any problems with overage.
    Good point. I maxed out the daily Verizon data calculator (120 minutes) for music and I was at 4gb, add in max navigation and it was still at 4gb.

I only drive about an hour a day, so I know I won't be maxing it.

It still wouldn't hurt to keep the songs I own downloaded locally, but it's good to know it won't completely destroy the data plan if I don't.

09-25-2015 12:29 PM
    For those that have T-Mobile, you also get the free unlimited music streaming so you won't have to worry about going over your limit while driving.
    09-25-2015 09:15 PM
    I have one more question about your Hyundai, I just read that the usb port that you have to plug your phone into is a low charge port so it either won't charge your phone or it will charge it ridiculously slowly. Have you had any problems with your phone in the usb port?

09-26-2015 08:14 AM
    I have one more question about your Hyundai, I just read that the usb port that you have to plug your phone into is a low charge port so it either won't charge your phone or it will charge it ridiculously slowly. Have you had any problems with your phone in the usb port?

I haven't had any issues with it charging the phone. As for slowness of charge, I haven't really paid attention to it. My commute isn't terribly long ... maybe 40 minutes at the most, so how quickly it charges isn't a big issue for me.
    09-27-2015 03:56 AM
    I haven't had any issues with it charging the phone. As for slowness of charge, I haven't really paid attention to it. My commute isn't terribly long ... maybe 40 minutes at the most, so how quickly it charges isn't a big issue for me.
    Thanks! I actually just picked up my sonata yesterday and I'm loving it! I did notice that it didn't do much charging on my drive back from the dealership. The manual mentioned that Android auto may not work if your phone is low on battery, which makes me believe that it doesn't really charge the phone that well.

I still need to figure out how to just shuffle all the music on my phone, not sure why Google music doesn't have a "shuffle library" option in the menu.

09-27-2015 06:24 AM
    Thanks! I actually just picked up my sonata yesterday and I'm loving it! I did notice that it didn't do much charging on my drive back from the dealership. The manual mentioned that Android auto may not work if your phone is low on battery, which makes me believe that it doesn't really charge the phone that well.

I still need to figure out how to just shuffle all the music on my phone, not sure why Google music doesn't have a "shuffle library" option in the menu.

I've pretty much stopped using Google Music since Amazon Prime music now runs under Android Auto. l'll have to do some further investigation on the battery charging.
    09-28-2015 05:00 AM
    I've pretty much stopped using Google Music since Amazon Prime music now runs under Android Auto. l'll have to do some further investigation on the battery charging.
    I played around some with Amazon Music, I liked it. I'm finding myself on Google music frequently though, despite the lack of "shuffle library" button.

Unfortunately, I can confirm based on my usage yesterday, that the usb port is not charging my phone, and it is actually losing charge while running Android auto. It could just be my phone, a note 4, is too power hungry for the usb port to charge it. I did read on a Hyundai forum site that a usb y cable, Micro usb to dual usb, and a quick charge usb cigarette adapter, charged the phone. I bought the micro usb y cable yesterday, just waiting for it to come in. I already have an adapter that supposedly is a quick charge, so I'm going to try that first before buying a new one.

09-28-2015 05:28 AM
    I played around some with Amazon Music, I liked it. I'm finding myself on Google music frequently though, despite the lack of "shuffle library" button.

Unfortunately, I can confirm based on my usage yesterday, that the usb port is not charging my phone, and it is actually losing charge while running Android auto. It could just be my phone, a note 4, is too power hungry for the usb port to charge it. I did read on a Hyundai forum site that a usb y cable, Micro usb to dual usb, and a quick charge usb cigarette adapter, charged the phone. I bought the micro usb y cable yesterday, just waiting for it to come in. I already have an adapter that supposedly is a quick charge, so I'm going to try that first before buying a new one.

Finally got around to checking battery charging on the Sonata, and you're right. My Nexus 6 doesn't charge from the USB port. I'm interested in seeing the results from your cable experiment. Where did you order yours from?
    09-30-2015 05:00 AM
    what amp is the sonata usb? My accord is 1.5A and charges my OPO fairly quickly.
    09-30-2015 09:35 AM
    Finally got around to checking battery charging on the Sonata, and you're right. My Nexus 6 doesn't charge from the USB port. I'm interested in seeing the results from your cable experiment. Where did you order yours from?
    Amazon. The two products are in this thread here: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/showthread.php?p=3473049 post number 392. I bought the y cable from his post, but I have a different usb charger. I tried it out this morning and my battery went from 91% to 94% in my 35 minute trip to work.

I also wonder if you can use a wireless charging pad plugged into a cigarette adaptor. My note 4 doesn't support wireless charging out of the box so I haven't tried it.

09-30-2015 10:31 AM
    what amp is the sonata usb? My accord is 1.5A and charges my OPO fairly quickly.
    An online article complaining that they couldn't charge an iPad with it (why would you want to?) states: 500 milliamps at 5 volts.

So it's fine for a low powered device like an ipod, but not for a modern smartphone. They'll have to upgrade it with Android Auto and carplay coming standard for touchscreens on the 2016.

Unfortunately, the dealership is clueless to the problem since the display shows that the device is charging, as my sales person exclaimed when I told her the review complains on charging problems. But using it for a prolonged period (after buying the car), you find that it's really not charging that well.

Edit: just read a review with specs of the new 2016, no mention of the voltage of the usb port, but they tout it as a "USB port with iPod compatibility" making it sound like it's the same usb port as in the 2015's.

09-30-2015 10:46 AM
    Amazon. The two products are in this thread here: Android Auto - Page 40 - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum post number 392. I bought the y cable from his post, but I have a different usb charger. I tried it out this morning and my battery went from 91% to 94% in my 35 minute trip to work.

I also wonder if you can use a wireless charging pad plugged into a cigarette adaptor. My note 4 doesn't support wireless charging out of the box so I haven't tried it.

Those are the two I ordered yesterday. The charger will be here tomorrow, but the cable won't be until Monday. Will have to wait until then to test it out. I have a wireless charging pad around here somewhere. Will give that a test and report back.

UPDATE: I've had the adapter and the cable now for a couple of days, and it seems there isn't any change. Battery still drains, even though it shows it's charging. On my 40 minute commute to work, my battery went from 99% to 93% with Maps and Amazon Music running. On the drive back, it went from 70% to 64%, again with only Maps and Amazon Music running.

I'll continue to test it.

UPDATE # 2 : Left the house yesterday with the battery level at 53%. 45 minute drive using Google Maps and Amazon Music. Arrived at my destination, and the battery level had dropped to 33%. QC charging just doesn't seem to be working. I'd surely like to think it's not user error... since my phone indicates its charging.

I'm at a loss to explain this but it seems to be draining faster than when it was just plugged into the usb port by itself.
    ireknole likes this.
    10-01-2015 04:36 AM