Hyundai Sonata 2015 - Phone Not Charging from USB port while using Android Auto

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a Hyundai Sonata 2015 and I'm amazed by Android Auto and it's functionality. I did notice that on a 30 minute car trip using maps, gps and playing google play music with Android Auto, my phone went from 40% to 34%. The phone says it's charging, but the car's USB port is not giving enough voltage to actually charge it while using android auto.

I have a USB Y cable that I tried plugging one end into a cigarette lighter adapter and the other into the usb port of the car and that showed it was charging the phone, but the phone still lost charge on my way home.

My note 4 struggles with battery life as is, so this will be a huge problem if I want to use android auto on a long trip and keep my phone charged. Does anyone have a solution for this problem, or am I stuck having to unplug android auto to charge if the phone is about to die?

EDIT: I just purchased a usb y cable that is micro usb to two usb's on Amazon. The one I was using in my post was a female usb to two usb's. Maybe a direct connection into the phone instead of a cable chain will provide adequate power from the cigarette adapter. I'll report back if this does work in case someone else has a similar problem.

Last edited:

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've tried using a splitter, but it did nothing for my battery life. In the past few weeks, though, things seem to be improving. Must be something in an update that I didn't notice.

(Galaxy S6 and 2015 Sonata)

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a y cable along with a Quick Charge adapter for my 2015 Sonata and my Nexus 6. Battery drain continues and it seems at even a greater pace. Tried a different adapter yesterday, and it seemed to at least stall the drain somewhat.. but it still drains. At first I thought it was just my phone, but if it's happening with your Galaxy, there goes that notion.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
It technically is the phones. They require more power than the usb port can provide.

I keep forgetting to check my battery percentage before plugging in my y cable, but it is usually still in the upper 90's when I get to work, about a 30 minute commute.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering the Sonata with AA. Currently I simply have my Note 3 on a mount, with a charging cord attached. Works but it's a bit cumbersome, with wires, stand, etc.

I like the idea of Android Auto, but apparently I'll still need to plug in my phone somewhere via USB. Where do you physically put your phone? And if I need a separate power source (i.e. if the built-in USB port isn't supplying enough power), with a cable, then it seems like it's just as cumbersome as my current setup.

I would have wanted a bluetooth only connection, so the phone could stay in my pocket, and the car's display would basically act as a proxy screen for my phone. Apparently this isn't the case and am curious about your thoughts and experience in regard to cabling, mounting the phone, etc., etc.

Thanks.

Don

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering the Sonata with AA. Currently I simply have my Note 3 on a mount, with a charging cord attached. Works but it's a bit cumbersome, with wires, stand, etc.

I like the idea of Android Auto, but apparently I'll still need to plug in my phone somewhere via USB. Where do you physically put your phone? And if I need a separate power source (i.e. if the built-in USB port isn't supplying enough power), with a cable, then it seems like it's just as cumbersome as my current setup.

I would have wanted a bluetooth only connection, so the phone could stay in my pocket, and the car's display would basically act as a proxy screen for my phone. Apparently this isn't the case and am curious about your thoughts and experience in regard to cabling, mounting the phone, etc., etc.

Thanks.

Don

Right now you still have to plug into the car's usb port for Android auto to work. That may change if Apple unveils a wireless solution for carplay.

The y cable isn't too cumbersome because the ends are short so you don't have cable going everywhere. It pretty much stays contained in the front console area.

I just put my phone in the change cup in front of the cup holders. The screen is blanked out with an "android auto" logo when you plug in, so you can't do much with the phone.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Right now you still have to plug into the car's usb port for Android auto to work. That may change if Apple unveils a wireless solution for carplay.

The y cable isn't too cumbersome because the ends are short so you don't have cable going everywhere. It pretty much stays contained in the front console area.

I just put my phone in the change cup in front of the cup holders. The screen is blanked out with an "android auto" logo when you plug in, so you can't do much with the phone.

Thanks. So is your experience that the built-in charger isn't enough to keep up with the drain, even with the phone's screen off?

I'm looking for a new or lightly used car, and am intrigued by the concept of Android Auto. If I decide this is a necessity, it significantly limits my choices in a car. So I'm trying to get a feel for how practical this is (bleeding edge technology and all). My main use would be playing podcasts and navigation.

The other option for me is to simply continue doing what I am now - mount my phone somewhere, cable with power, for these functions.

How satisfied are you overall with the AA experience in your Sonata, and how much better do you think it is versus just mounting your phone?

Thanks.

Don

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. So is your experience that the built-in charger isn't enough to keep up with the drain, even with the phone's screen off?

I'm looking for a new or lightly used car, and am intrigued by the concept of Android Auto. If I decide this is a necessity, it significantly limits my choices in a car. So I'm trying to get a feel for how practical this is (bleeding edge technology and all). My main use would be playing podcasts and navigation.

The other option for me is to simply continue doing what I am now - mount my phone somewhere, cable with power, for these functions.

How satisfied are you overall with the AA experience in your Sonata, and how much better do you think it is versus just mounting your phone?

Thanks.

Don

Correct on the charger for the Hyundai's. It may be sufficient in another car make. I have heard that the new marshmallow update helps improve battery life, but I don't personally have experience with it.

Podcasts and navigation work really well on android auto. The only issue I've had with navigation is that the voice volume is not separate from the audio volume so if you have your podcasts playing loudly, the navigation voice volume will be twice as loud . You also still need to have gps enabled on your phone to use navigation. I don't know why it doesn't just use the car's gps.

I'm pleased with Android auto, but it's still beta. There are a lot of little things that need to be fixed (the above mentioned navigation issues, no rw or ff for music, no way to browse your whole library). Most of these might be personal preference and you don't typically find out about them until you use android auto for an extensive amount of time.

I guess it would also depend on where you have your phone mounted. I had my phone mounted by the cup holder in my old car, so it wasn't safe to use while driving. Android Auto, bugs and all, is a much better way to access your phone if it isn't mounted radio level or above.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
One last question for you if you don't mind. A dealership told me that the 2015 Sonata requires the Navigation option to get Android Auto while the 2016 has it for all trim levels regardless of options. Is this your understanding?

Since Android Auto provides navigation it seems ill advised to require this additional expense to get it on the 2015 model.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
One last question for you if you don't mind. A dealership told me that the 2015 Sonata requires the Navigation option to get Android Auto while the 2016 has it for all trim levels regardless of options. Is this your understanding?

Since Android Auto provides navigation it seems ill advised to require this additional expense to get it on the 2015 model.

Sure thing. You do need the navigation option to get android auto functionality because you need the touchscreen. I'm not sure whether they require the 8in screen upgrade for the 2015 or if the standard 5in screen is sufficient. I have the limited model which has the 8in screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Sure thing. You do need the navigation option to get android auto functionality because you need the touchscreen. I'm not sure whether they require the 8in screen upgrade for the 2015 or if the standard 5in screen is sufficient. I have the limited model which has the 8in screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks. That fits with what they said. Apparently they have upgraded the screen to 7" on all the 2016 models so all of them are supposed to support Android Auto.

I'm now also leaning toward the Limited although it's ending up more than I'd like to spend. Am also checking out the Ford Fusion and Honda Accord, possibly the Mazda 6 as well. Good to have choices but makes decision making harder!

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. That fits with what they said. Apparently they have upgraded the screen to 7" on all the 2016 models so all of them are supposed to support Android Auto.

I'm now also leaning toward the Limited although it's ending up more than I'd like to spend. Am also checking out the Ford Fusion and Honda Accord, possibly the Mazda 6 as well. Good to have choices but makes decision making harder!
Yes I've heard that as well. They made backup cameras standard on all models, which is great! I actually traded after 2 years from a 2013 Sonata SE to the 2015 fully loaded limited. I love it and have no regrets on trading so soon and making the upgrade. The blind spot monitors are excellent and make me feel more comfortable changing lanes with ***** Florida drivers. The larger touchscreen is nice and the car feels really comfortable and luxurious.

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I've tried a couple different QC adapters now with the Y-Cable and found that the battery still drains using AA with navigation and music playing. On yesterday's commute, it drained 10% in 30 minutes. The newest QC adapter I got comes with a 20awg cable. Plugging the phone into the adapter with that cable and my battery level went up 4% in just a few minutes. Leads me to believe the Y-Cable can't support charging. Not sure what my next option will be. It does defeat the purpose of having AA if I can't charge the phone at the same time.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I've tried a couple different QC adapters now with the Y-Cable and found that the battery still drains using AA with navigation and music playing. On yesterday's commute, it drained 10% in 30 minutes. The newest QC adapter I got comes with a 20awg cable. Plugging the phone into the adapter with that cable and my battery level went up 4% in just a few minutes. Leads me to believe the Y-Cable can't support charging. Not sure what my next option will be. It does defeat the purpose of having AA if I can't charge the phone at the same time.

That is discouraging.

One question: does your 2015 Sonata have the Navigation package? I ask that because if it doesn't then that means that AA will have to use your phone's GPS functions, which will contribute to battery drain. And even if you do have the Navigation package, I've read some comments that imply that there might still be problems with battery drain, and AA not utilizing the car's available GPS functions, unless your phone has Marshmallow.

Does anybody here have a 2016 Sonata, with or without the Navigation package, with Android 5.x or 6x, who can report on battery drain? I'm wondering that since the 2015 model had AA added to it after the initial design of the system (I think that's the case, but might be wrong), then perhaps it might function differently from the 2016, whose design had AA included from the start.

Kind of frustrating, as it makes it cumbersome and inefficient to actually use AA. It's bad enough (imho) to have to physically attach the phone to use AA, but to still not have adequate power to charge the battery adds insult to injury. When I heard about AA initially, I envisioned a fully wireless system, where the car's hardware effectively was a large Android phone, and it just tapped into the phone's cell connectivity, which would represent a fairly minimal battery drain. I could leave the phone in my pocket and not have to worry about cables, etc.

Dampens my enthusiasm for making a move to a new car with AA. And you'd think that since AA requires a physical connection at this point, that they'd have a more elegant solution for connecting and holding the phone, other than a cable and a generic 'cup-holder' type place to put the phone.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
That is discouraging.

One question: does your 2015 Sonata have the Navigation package? I ask that because if it doesn't then that means that AA will have to use your phone's GPS functions, which will contribute to battery drain. And even if you do have the Navigation package, I've read some comments that imply that there might still be problems with battery drain, and AA not utilizing the car's available GPS functions, unless your phone has Marshmallow.

Does anybody here have a 2016 Sonata, with or without the Navigation package, with Android 5.x or 6x, who can report on battery drain? I'm wondering that since the 2015 model had AA added to it after the initial design of the system (I think that's the case, but might be wrong), then perhaps it might function differently from the 2016, whose design had AA included from the start.

Kind of frustrating, as it makes it cumbersome and inefficient to actually use AA. It's bad enough (imho) to have to physically attach the phone to use AA, but to still not have adequate power to charge the battery adds insult to injury. When I heard about AA initially, I envisioned a fully wireless system, where the car's hardware effectively was a large Android phone, and it just tapped into the phone's cell connectivity, which would represent a fairly minimal battery drain. I could leave the phone in my pocket and not have to worry about cables, etc.

Dampens my enthusiasm for making a move to a new car with AA. And you'd think that since AA requires a physical connection at this point, that they'd have a more elegant solution for connecting and holding the phone, other than a cable and a generic 'cup-holder' type place to put the phone.
I have a 2015 with Nav and it does not use the car's gps. When you try to open Google maps without gps on, you get a message telling you to turn it on on your phone. I agree, it is very frustrating. This is part Google's fault and part Hyundai's. Google for not optimizing android auto until the next phone update and Hyundai for supplying an underpowered usb port.

I do wonder if the 2016 usb port provides more power since the car was designed with Android auto in mind.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2015 with Nav and it does not use the car's gps. When you try to open Google maps without gps on, you get a message telling you to turn it on on your phone. I agree, it is very frustrating. This is part Google's fault and part Hyundai's. Google for not optimizing android auto until the next phone update and Hyundai for supplying an underpowered usb port.

I do wonder if the 2016 usb port provides more power since the car was designed with Android auto in mind.

Is your phone Android 5.0 or 6.0?

I've read that even if AA does properly use the car's GPS, that GPS still needs to be enabled on the phone in order for it to work at all, even if it is accessing the car's GPS. So just because you need to have the phone's GPS turned on doesn't necessarily mean that it's not using the car's GPS, from what I've read. But the phone OS might be an issue here (in addition to whatever is going on in the Hyundai head unit).

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Is your phone Android 5.0 or 6.0?

I've read that even if AA does properly use the car's GPS, that GPS still needs to be enabled on the phone in order for it to work at all, even if it is accessing the car's GPS. So just because you need to have the phone's GPS turned on doesn't necessarily mean that it's not using the car's GPS, from what I've read. But the phone OS might be an issue here (in addition to whatever is going on in the Hyundai head unit).
I have 5.0 on my note 4. The gps message requires "high accuracy mode" to be turned on, so it's definitely using it with 5.0. Even with gps on "low power mode", it still uses battery so hopefully it doesn't need to be on at all in future updates.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Did you every find a Y cable that will keep the phone charging properly while in use with AA?

Most of them have the regular USB port at the center with the dual USB and MicroUSB ports branching out from it. Perhaps one with the MicroUSB port as the center connector, with the dual USB ports branching off from it would work (although I'm having difficulty finding one that has that configuration).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke