Hyundai Sonata 2015 - Phone Not Charging from USB port while using Android Auto

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I haven't found one with that configuration. In fact, the only y cable I've found is made by Startech, and the battery still drains with it.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't found one with that configuration. In fact, the only y cable I've found is made by Startech, and the battery still drains with it.

Thanks for the reply, even though it is discouraging.

This doesn't seem to be a universal experience - many report the charging at least keeps up, and some with some positive charge over time, using just the car's USB port, and no additional charger. Have you been able to identify why you're seeing this? I know that larger phones do require greater amperage than others for charging, so I imagine this is part of it.

Anything unusual or different in how you use yours? The phone's display is off, right? That's usually one of the biggest battery drains.

I'd love to understand why some people have the problem, and/or a consistent and acceptable work-around, before committing to purchasing a 2016.

Thanks.

Don

P.S. And yeah, I haven't found any with my suggested configuration either - they're all set up like the Startech one.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

This doesn't seem to be a universal experience - many report the charging at least keeps up, and some with some positive charge over time, using just the car's USB port, and no additional charger. Have you been able to identify why you're seeing this? I know that larger phones do require greater amperage than others for charging, so I imagine this is part of it.

Anything unusual or different in how you use yours? The phone's display is off, right? That's usually one of the biggest battery drains.

I'd love to understand why some people have the problem, and/or a consistent and acceptable work-around, before committing to purchasing a 2016.

Thanks.

Don

P.S. And yeah, I haven't found any with my suggested configuration either - they're all set up like the Startech one.

After some experimenting, I found something that seems to work (if your phone supports it).

I've been using the power adapter and y cable that have been mentioned previously. I previously had "fast charging" turned off on my phone and it was usually losing charge on a 40 minute car trip. With "fast charging" turned on, I am gaining charge on the same trip. Not much, mind you, it went from 92% to 95% on the 40 minute trip, but at least it's charging.

So I think the solution for now is fast charging.

I'm not sure if they changed the usb port voltage for the 2016's to be more accommodating for smart phones.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this, and glad you've found a decent work-around. I have the Note 3, and no 'fast charge' option, so this particular fix wouldn't be available to me should the problem arise.

I have no idea if the 2016 is configured any differently. I actually called Hyundai, was eventually connected to someone theoretically in the technical division of their Entertainment, Audio and Navigation division, although she sounded like she was totally a customer service person. She basically said the car wasn't designed to charge the attached phone, which was obviously absurd. Thirty minutes of my life I won't get back...

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Thanks.

Don

I haven't been able to isolate why the problem exists, other than the usb port alone can't power the phone. I've tried the Y cable now with 2 different chargers, and it still drains the battery. I have a Nexus 6, and there isn't an option to turn on "fast charging" that is a setting in other phones. Now.. if I plug the phone into a QC charger on its own, with a "QC" cable, the phone charges quickly, so go figure.

Aside from that, my 2015 Sonata is the best car I've ever owned. I've had several over the years, and my favorite until now was my 2001 Lincoln LS. I believe this car to be an overall better experience than that. The car is just a joy to drive. If I had any real complaints, I think the front seats could be a little more comfortable. Even adjusting lumbar support, they're still very stiff.

AA is still a work in progress and it has a long way to go, but I use it every day, and always look for new features to be added. I prefer Maps to the onboard nav system, and will be even more enthusiastic if we're ever able to use Waze. I use Amazon Music mostly now instead of Google, and have started using Pandora as well.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to isolate why the problem exists, other than the usb port alone can't power the phone. I've tried the Y cable now with 2 different chargers, and it still drains the battery. I have a Nexus 6, and there isn't an option to turn on "fast charging" that is a setting in other phones. Now.. if I plug the phone into a QC charger on its own, with a "QC" cable, the phone charges quickly, so go figure.

Aside from that, my 2015 Sonata is the best car I've ever owned. I've had several over the years, and my favorite until now was my 2001 Lincoln LS. I believe this car to be an overall better experience than that. The car is just a joy to drive. If I had any real complaints, I think the front seats could be a little more comfortable. Even adjusting lumbar support, they're still very stiff.

AA is still a work in progress and it has a long way to go, but I use it every day, and always look for new features to be added. I prefer Maps to the onboard nav system, and will be even more enthusiastic if we're ever able to use Waze. I use Amazon Music mostly now instead of Google, and have started using Pandora as well.

Thanks for the feedback. As I've read through various reviews, long-term reports, etc., on the Sonata, it does seem like a pretty solid car, with a lot of 'bang for the buck.' Some have been underwhelmed by the power/acceleration/engine sound, but no major red flags.

I'm hoping that the Android Auto experience will improve over time, and that there won't be any obstacles to getting those updates on the Sonata.

As for the charging issue, if it becomes a problem, I might have to get a wireless charging pad that would fit in the change compartment, that would hopefully work well. I know that's not an option for the Nexus, unfortunately, afaik.

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
It's been a while since I posted on this, but I finally have something to report. I switched phones recently from the Nexus 6 to a Galaxy Note 5. My phone now charges, albeit slowly, from the standard USB port, and charges at a must faster rate using a QC car charger with a Y cable. I do find that AA will load but not always connect properly... i.e.... the screen will display maps, but the LTE indicator doesn't show, and the music apps won't run. The workaround seems to be to launch AA on the phone first and the plugging into the usb port.

All the music apps work now, except Pandora, curiously. AA returns a message saying Pandora doesn't seem to be available. Haven't found a fix for that yet.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I got a 2016 sonata. Just wanted to add my experiences. Regarding the usb. I'm guessing the port puts out more current than the 15 models. I think my manual said 1.1amp but I'll check. When using android auto even for a few hours my battery percentage actually goes UP slightly. Its charging not draining. This is with a LG G4 running 5.1. Not sure if it matters but I got the 8inch touchscreen with Nav. Also, ALL 2015 and later sonatas should have android auto. Even if it's a 2015 with the smaller 5inch screen and no nav system. They ALL support android auto (this information is from Hyundais website, I was researching and looking to buy a 2015 but instead grabbed a 2016). 2015 models might need to have the firmware upgraded to have it enabled, but all 2016 models should be ready from the onset.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I got a 2016 sonata. Just wanted to add my experiences. Regarding the usb. I'm guessing the port puts out more current than the 15 models. I think my manual said 1.1amp but I'll check. When using android auto even for a few hours my battery percentage actually goes UP slightly. Its charging not draining. This is with a LG G4 running 5.1. Not sure if it matters but I got the 8inch touchscreen with Nav. Also, ALL 2015 and later sonatas should have android auto. Even if it's a 2015 with the smaller 5inch screen and no nav system. They ALL support android auto (this information is from Hyundais website, I was researching and looking to buy a 2015 but instead grabbed a 2016). 2015 models might need to have the firmware upgraded to have it enabled, but all 2016 models should be ready from the onset.
Thanks for the update on the 2016s. I decided to contact Hyundai about the usb port charge and I received this response:

"The usb port you refer to is working as designed. The only time your phone will charge when connected is when the phone is idle. The port was not designed to charge your phone while connected. Just a reminder that your phone needs to have a minimum of 30% battery life to operate Android Auto.*"

They don't seem to think this is a problem, and that's annoying. The phone is in constant use when using android auto and needs to charge or at stay at a neutral charge to operate.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to throw in my experience report, as I was pretty concerned about my phone being charged while AA was in use, as otherwise, it would seriously compromise its use in long travel that we like to do.

I bought the 2016 Sonata, Limited, with Tech and Ultimate Packages.

I have a Stock Verizon Galaxy Note 3, Android 5.0, and even while in heavy use (Google Maps in use, and playing from Amazon Music or Google Play Music), it has consistently charged the phone, at what I consider a reasonable rate.

So I'm pretty pleased with it. It is possible that having the Nav package, with GPS in the car, and with AA presumably drawing on the car's GPS, rather than the phone's GPS, there might be some battery saving there. And the Note 3 requires a reasonably good charger/cable (though it may not be as demanding as some, e.g. the Note 4 or Note 5), but the system keeps up with it just fine.

Also, I found these USB cables at Monoprice, which work quite well: retractable, and with a right angle tip at the phone end, allowing me to put it in the coin holder compartment, in normal orientation:

For some reason, the forum software is introducing all kinds of stuff into my link, which breaks it, so just go to monoprice.com and search for Product # 10057.

Sometimes the cable can impact the charging so this must also be considered.

FWIW.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to throw in my experience report, as I was pretty concerned about my phone being charged while AA was in use, as otherwise, it would seriously compromise its use in long travel that we like to do.

I bought the 2016 Sonata, Limited, with Tech and Ultimate Packages.

I have a Stock Verizon Galaxy Note 3, Android 5.0, and even while in heavy use (Google Maps in use, and playing from Amazon Music or Google Play Music), it has consistently charged the phone, at what I consider a reasonable rate.

So I'm pretty pleased with it. It is possible that having the Nav package, with GPS in the car, and with AA presumably drawing on the car's GPS, rather than the phone's GPS, there might be some battery saving there. And the Note 3 requires a reasonably good charger/cable (though it may not be as demanding as some, e.g. the Note 4 or Note 5), but the system keeps up with it just fine.

Also, I found these USB cables at Monoprice, which work quite well: retractable, and with a right angle tip at the phone end, allowing me to put it in the coin holder compartment, in normal orientation:

For some reason, the forum software is introducing all kinds of stuff into my link, which breaks it, so just go to monoprice.com and search for Product # 10057.

Sometimes the cable can impact the charging so this must also be considered.

FWIW.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try one of those cables and see if that helps. I thought my y cable was working, but my recent road trip proved me wrong. I hope we can prove Hyundai wrong with this one.

In my 2015, I also have the navigation system, but I have to have the phone's GPS enabled in high accuracy mode in order to use Google maps. If I don't, I get an error message on the Google maps Android auto screen. Has this not happened in the 2016 that you have seen?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I'll try one of those cables and see if that helps. I thought my y cable was working, but my recent road trip proved me wrong. I hope we can prove Hyundai wrong with this one.

In my 2015, I also have the navigation system, but I have to have the phone's GPS enabled in high accuracy mode in order to use Google maps. If I don't, I get an error message on the Google maps Android auto screen. Has this not happened in the 2016 that you have seen?

I normally leave my phone in High Accuracy mode, and have never received any such notification.

And I really don't have any direct evidence to prove that AA is in fact using the car's GPS. That is the way it is supposed to work, but I have no way of knowing if it is.

It is conceivable that somehow Google Maps on the phone, which after all is driving the AA interface on the car, may need High Accuracy mode enabled, even if it is using the car's GPS data stream. I really don't know what is going on there.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I normally leave my phone in High Accuracy mode, and have never received any such notification.

And I really don't have any direct evidence to prove that AA is in fact using the car's GPS. That is the way it is supposed to work, but I have no way of knowing if it is.

It is conceivable that somehow Google Maps on the phone, which after all is driving the AA interface on the car, may need High Accuracy mode enabled, even if it is using the car's GPS data stream. I really don't know what is going on there.
Ah, that's why you never received that message. I turn my gps off when not using it to conserve battery.

I know Google said it should use the car's GPS, but receiving that error message if the phones GPS isn't on, makes me think that it's not.

Jonathan Harris1

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Ah, that's why you never received that message. I turn my gps off when not using it to conserve battery.

I know Google said it should use the car's GPS, but receiving that error message if the phones GPS isn't on, makes me think that it's not.

For me when I use AA and I use voice to say give me directions to my house...the directions will also show on my phone and if I open google maps on my phone it will already be providing directions on my phone. So I don't know whether it uses the cars gps or not.

As far as battery drain. I don't really have a lot of battery drain using AA...I just dont have any battery gain either. However, I dont really get a lot of juice from the built in usb port- if I want any type of charge I have to use adapters (while not using AA ofc).

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
For me when I use AA and I use voice to say give me directions to my house...the directions will also show on my phone and if I open google maps on my phone it will already be providing directions on my phone. So I don't know whether it uses the cars gps or not.

As far as battery drain. I don't really have a lot of battery drain using AA...I just dont have any battery gain either. However, I dont really get a lot of juice from the built in usb port- if I want any type of charge I have to use adapters (while not using AA ofc).

I'd take a neutral charge over the drain. I just bought a supposed "quick charge cable" from Amazon so I'm going to try that out and see how well it works.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to give an update, I bought a usb voltage tester and I found that the Hyundai usb is only outputting 0.41-0.50 amps. This is obviously not sufficient to charge a phone while in use.

I had purchased a monoprice "fast charging" usb cable, and I saw the amps jump from the aforementioned values to 0.81! The bad news is that the cable has a toggle switch to "protect privacy while charging" and it doesn't seem to stay on "data only" mode after I plug it in so the phone isn't recognized when it's plugged in. I'll have to return this cable.

I tested the y cable and it seemed to halve the amps from the usb port. I realize now that I was only testing the power out from the Hyundai usb and not the total amps from both sources. I'm guessing though if both sources are halved, then it's not really charging that much more than just plugging directly into the Hyundai usb port.

trevb87

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
found this thread after googling looking for a solution to battery drain while using android auto, and it just so happens that I also have a 2015 sonata. I've used AA with a HTC M9 and now a LG V10 and have had battery drain issues with both. I agree that they definitely used an under powered USB port. I wonder if it can easily be replaced with a more powerful one?

I will also say that i use google maps without turning on GPS on phone and it works just fine for navigation. I do get the error on my phone saying google maps needs GPS on but i just ignore it and continue with no problems.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I will also say that i use google maps without turning on GPS on phone and it works just fine for navigation. I do get the error on my phone saying google maps needs GPS on but i just ignore it and continue with no problems.

How? If I don't have GPS enabled on my phone, Google maps never finds a route for me. It just hangs on the information screen. As soon as I turn gps on, it starts to navigate me.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2015 Sonata too and i use AA with my 6p. The phone will not charge from the USB port (and can't turn on fast charging because it's not a USB C port), but it will run maps and navigation without using the phone's GPS. Someone mentioned their pandora won't work, make sure you install pandora from the play store. It doesn't matter if it's the same unmolested version from apkmirror, you have to install from the store. I personally use the one from the store with pandora patcher running on top of it and everything works perfectly on AA.

That's probably my only gripe with AA, that everything has to be from the store - play services, maps, music, and pandora - at a minimum to work. I installed an updated version of play services from apkmirror (a legit site that publishes apps with the original google signature) and then everything stopped working on AA. Had to uninstall and reinstall everything to get it work again.

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I've found Pandora will work if I open the app on my phone first. Probably because pandora is baked into the Hyundai interface. I also have issues with Amazon Music and Iheartradio. They will work for a while, but then I have to uninstall and reinstall the apps. I download everything from the Play Store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech