There's no technological reason the 991/2 doesn't have Android Auto playing through its massively upgraded PCM system. But there is an ethical one. As part of the agreement an automaker would have to enter with Google, certain pieces of data must be collected and mailed back to Mountain View, California. Stuff like vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs—basically Google wants a complete OBD2 dump whenever someone activates Android Auto. Not kosher, says Porsche.
    Source: I can't post links, but the article was featured in Motortrend, "13 cool facts about the 2017 Porsche 911"

I don't have any info on what all Google is asking, but the short list provided there doesn't seem too unreasonable to me, personally. I'd give it if I had the option and it made my Android Auto experience better.

On one hand, I can see some perfectly good reasons to ask for this data, as Google is all about collecting data and using that to improve their services. Some of the stuff available via OBD2 I can already imagine would be useful for delivering timely directions to a mechanic for maintenance, getting tips on maximizing performance or efficiency, or maybe Google's aiming to compete with Automatic in the connected car game. (Nothing stopping them both from playing at the same time in the same car, right?)

On the other hand, I can definitely appreciate that users would be freaked out about Google getting this data without an opt-in choice. Google has worked really hard on providing opt-in choices for so many things--location access, auto uploading to Google photos, on-demand permissions in Android 6, etc.--that I find the idea a bit surprising that they'd want all of this for Android Auto. This is the first I've heard of it, and if it's true, it's a little bit of a regression in their behavior as of late, I think.

I don't know enough about Android Auto's requirements to judge whether this is just aiming to make a better service, or if this is overreaching and trying to cheat their way into the automotive business with a direct firehose of several performance metrics of existing vehicles. Does anyone have access to exactly what it says, or is it behind an NDA wall?
    10-06-2015 05:09 PM
    There's no technological reason the 991/2 doesn't have Android Auto... But there is an ethical one
    LOL! Yeah, we all need a primer on ethics from the Volkswagon Group.
    fury likes this.
    10-06-2015 05:22 PM
    LOL! Yeah, we all need a primer on ethics from the Volkswagon Group.
    I didn't even notice that. Ha.
    10-06-2015 05:28 PM
    Just making sure folks see this ... Seems either Porsche or the Motor Trend writer (or both) didn't quite have their story straight.

Google denies Motor Trend report claiming Android Auto sends it driving data | Android Central
    10-08-2015 09:42 AM
    Nice one.
    Users opt in to share information with Android Auto that improves their experience
    This is what I thought was the case. Sounds like an early prototype of Android Auto gave them the wrong impression. I was gonna be all like, well how is it in the aftermarket units if it can't get those OBD2 bits?
    10-08-2015 01:41 PM