GOOGLE: Suggestion for basic text usage in Android Auto

Hurricane350

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Please, for all that is sacred, please add an Edit option when replying or creating a text message!! Something like this: After you say "Reply" and AA says "What is your response" and you dictate out a message, have AA say "Do you wish to send? You can say No, Edit, or Send it"

Currently if you say "Reply" and mess up anything, you need to say "No", wait, "Reply", wait, dictate message, and "Send it or Yes"

If it keeps hearing one thing wrong, it gets extremely frustrating to not be able to say "Edit" and just say the response over and instead having to say "No", "Reply", dictate...

Also, if we could just say "Reply" and then dictate the message without waiting for the "What would you like the message to say" prompt, that would be nice too... but first things first! :)

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Agree completely. I'd also add voice commands for incoming text messages. It's so stooopid that AA announces that you have a new text, but you have to reach over, scroll around the screen, and click on it to listen to it. Bad UI.

KRCsimple

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
And it'd be nice to be able to say a sentence, say "period" to place a period. Then be able to continue to add more to the message before it automatically hops to "do you want to send it?".

It makes you rush your statement really fast in hopes it won't cut you off. People need to think inbetween sentences.

Hurricane350

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
You currently can say period, comma, exclamation point, question mark but you need to keep going right away... also saying "dot dot dot" will enter an ellipses

I'm not sure why, but the cutoff time before it questions to send it is soo much faster than Google Now

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
It's so stooopid that AA announces that you have a new text, but you have to reach over, scroll around the screen, and click on it to listen to it.
My AA never announces that I have a new text. I either have to be looking at the screen or keep switching over to the 'phone' screen to see if there is a new text there. Is there some setting that will make it tell me I have a new text? Cause this way sucks.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to AA, but so far am really enjoying it (built-in to a 2016 Hyundai Sonata). Concerning texting:

My phone is a Verizon Galaxy Note 3 (Android 5.0), and I use Verizon's "Message Plus" as my default text app. It seems to interface just fine. Incoming texts are announced, and with a tap will be read to me. The reply option is there. Or I can initiate sending a text using the Voice Button, just as easily as I can on my phone.

But it is entirely voice-based, with no alphabetic text displayed for incoming or outgoing texts. I understand why, although so much else does make use of alphabetic text on screen, I don't see why this is treated any differently.

I see that there are a variety of Android Auto approved texting apps - do any of these provide any different or better functionality, and in particular, will any of them display the actual written text of incoming or outgoing texts? I, for one, would find that less distracting, and easier to work with. Or are they all just different "middle-men" with the same basic texting functionality with all of them?

Thanks.

Don

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Maybe this has changed, but the one time I said period to end a sentence, it actually inserted the word, rather than placing the period. Haven't tried it since then.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I can speak punctuation and it shows up as punctuation. The voice recognition of words is not great when I'm on the road -- probably 80% -- but the punctuation works fine.

The other day, I was trying to send a text that ended with the phrase, "The CSR could have been Marlene's twin." Had to dictate the same message about five times to get it right: "The seer had been Marilyn's win..." and, "The sea is our cabin Marianne win." And so on.

I took WAY too much concentration away from driving to get it right, especially when there was no way to "edit" or re-speak sections. I had to initiate a new text every time it failed and I canceled out. Very clunky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34