Android Auto BUGS thread! Let's talk about the bugs...

OliverK

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
You guys up there ^ who think CarPlay is better? More intuitive?

It's a grid of icons. AA pops up directions just like CarPlay. But if you use the home screen you can see directions AND music AND notifications AND Google Now information.

CarPlay is horrible to use. The only thing I like about it is Apple Music has lots of cool stuff. I HATE how Google cripple Google Play Music on AA. (Of course the BEST thing about CarPlay is that it always connects and isn't buggy; probably because it's not a separate app)

Jake Kohl

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My AT&T Samsung S5 just had a big update, not sure exactly which but it's now Lollipop 5.1.1...AA is working MUCH better. No more startup issues for the last couple of days - no complaints at all.

beeztrain

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
You guys up there ^ who think CarPlay is better? More intuitive?

It's a grid of icons. AA pops up directions just like CarPlay. But if you use the home screen you can see directions AND music AND notifications AND Google Now information.

CarPlay is horrible to use. The only thing I like about it is Apple Music has lots of cool stuff. I HATE how Google cripple Google Play Music on AA. (Of course the BEST thing about CarPlay is that it always connects and isn't buggy; probably because it's not a separate app)

So why don't my incoming texts show up when in navigation or in a music app? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a certain messaging app?

Posted via the Android Central App

canopis

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
After Marshmallow update on Lg G4, the maps screen will freeze after about 5 mins. If I tap the maps button from the menu it starts working again, If I am navigating, navigation (voice) continues to work even though main display is frozen. I have Pioneer AVH X8700

COME ON GOOGLE

Same problem here. LG G4, updated to Marshmallow. AA Maps screen freezes after a few minutes, but voice directions continue. Backing out of Maps and going back in temporarily fixes the issue.

Sprink73

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
In using my new G4 with AA in a new 2016 Yukon I notice the screen freezes about once every 15~20 minutes. If I touch the map Icon in the lower left hand corner of the screen it corrects it's self. If we use my wife's Samsung S6 we have no issue.

This is annoying....any suggestions?

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
On a Pioneer NEX unit (may also be true of AA when used with OEM stereos with 2 USB inputs); when trying to go from an AA audio source (i.e. phone, Google Play Music) to an audio source on the other USB input, you have to unplug the phone to get the other USB port to actually play, then replug the phone to launch AA again.

This used to not be necessary; I think that this is not a "Pioneer" issue as it persists even after downgrading the firmware.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
1. On my Hyundai Sonata, everything within Android Auto is on the same audio channel. So if I'm listening to Google music and Google maps navigation, I can't have one quiet and one loud, they are both at the same volume. I've been back and forth on whose fault this is, Hyundai or Google, but people with other cars have said they don't have this problem, so I'm thinking it's Hyundai's.

2 . There is no "alerts only" voice setting for Google maps. There is in the app, but for some reason it wasn't carried over into android auto.

3. Developers need to redesign their apps for the 6 touch limit. Spotify especially. I recently found that you can put playlists into folders, but if you have too many playlists, you still can't access them all (and voice search doesn't work, not that that would help with some of their pre-made playlists). Same goes for too many folders. I actually just wish Google would revise their 6 touch rule so that the count resets when you hit a new screen. That way you have more freedom, but are still restricted to 6 touches on the screen you're on.

4. No way to fast forward or rewind music!

5. Google maps crashes android auto. As soon as I start up android auto, if I switch over to maps I get a "phone is not responding" message and android auto crashes. Sometimes android auto is still connected, so I just have to click back into it, other times, I get a "usb connected/phone is not responding" message flashing across the top and I have to unplug and replug my phone.

Last edited:

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Did you try setting the volume in Google Maps? It is found in settings/navigation settings/voice level. There are 3 levels.
Yes but that's not what I'm wanting. I'm trying to have more granular control, like nav volume on 7 and music volume on 3. I would like to be able to adjust on the fly as well. When you're just playing the radio or xm, you can adjust the Google maps volume while it's speaking. That's what I'm after.

OliverK

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
So why don't my incoming texts show up when in navigation or in a music app? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a certain messaging app?

Posted via the Android Central App

They do show up.... I would suggest if they are not for you then the issue is your phone.

However they pop up with a notification for a few seconds and then they are gone so if you aren't looking you won't see them.

I would as a fix just suggest you go back to the main home screen to check those messages;

Sprink73

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Further information reveals that it's the phone. Seems that the GPS reception of the LG G4 is one of the worst that has ever been marketed...and I innocently bought one not knowing that. I downloaded an app "GPS Status" for free from Google. I installed it on my G4 and my wife's Samsung S6. I then compared how long it took for each to find GPS Satellites and get a positional fix. It took 5 times as long for my G4 to get a GPS fix sitting on the same table with her S6. In a real world driving situation, every time I pass underneath an overpass or bridge I loose signal with the G4 and the Android Auto and the screen freezes.I have to reset the map if I notice it...otherwise I might not know where I am until I reset the screen...very annoying. In comparison the S6 works seamlessly. I plan to call Sprint Customer care and see if they have any thoughts or suggestions.

Hopefully LG or Sprint will address and correct this.

Benjamin Plotsky

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Okay here's an odd one for you. Honda Civic EX 2016. With Android Auto I've had a few map hiccups and things like that, but the majority of the time the system works fine. One exception, without fault. Whenever I make a call or receive one the phone switches to the Honda's phone app and completely shuts off Android Auto. This wouldn't be a problem if it connected back in, but after the call AA is completely disconnected and I have to unplug and reconnect my phone.

Any ideas?

Jake Kohl

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My AT&T Samsung S5 just had a big update, not sure exactly which but it's now Lollipop 5.1.1...AA is working MUCH better. No more startup issues for the last couple of days - no complaints at all.

BTW, after two days AA reliability got really poor again. It seems like something stacks up in the OS and clogs the AA pipe (whatever that might be). Sometimes a reboot clears it up momentarily, sometimes not. The other day, podcasts would only play for about 3 seconds and stop. I would hit 'play' again and it would go for another 3 seconds. That problem went away the next day but now it takes me about 3 to 5 attempts to plug/unplug the phone to get AA to start and connect with my phone. I've tried with the phone unlocked, AA started on the phone, letting the head unit boot up for a little bit before plugging in, etc. none of it seems to make much difference.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that closing apps helps with Android auto stability. I guess it's very ram heavy. Also, if AA doesn't start up right away, unplug your phone, close the open instance of android auto, reopen it, and then plug in your phone. That usually works.

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I am have the same exact problem with Maps freezing. Also have the LG G4 which seems to be the common denominator. At first it was just a little annoying, but recently I was actually trying to use maps to navigate and would miss turns (voice off) because I did not realize the screen was frozen. So kinda becoming a safety issue.

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Okay here's an odd one for you. Honda Civic EX 2016. With Android Auto I've had a few map hiccups and things like that, but the majority of the time the system works fine. One exception, without fault. Whenever I make a call or receive one the phone switches to the Honda's phone app and completely shuts off Android Auto. This wouldn't be a problem if it connected back in, but after the call AA is completely disconnected and I have to unplug and reconnect my phone.

Any ideas?

I had this issue with my LG G4 with the Honda Accord. This has not happened since my phone was updated to MM.

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Further information reveals that it's the phone. Seems that the GPS reception of the LG G4 is one of the worst that has ever been marketed...and I innocently bought one not knowing that. I downloaded an app "GPS Status" for free from Google. I installed it on my G4 and my wife's Samsung S6. I then compared how long it took for each to find GPS Satellites and get a positional fix. It took 5 times as long for my G4 to get a GPS fix sitting on the same table with her S6. In a real world driving situation, every time I pass underneath an overpass or bridge I loose signal with the G4 and the Android Auto and the screen freezes.I have to reset the map if I notice it...otherwise I might not know where I am until I reset the screen...very annoying. In comparison the S6 works seamlessly. I plan to call Sprint Customer care and see if they have any thoughts or suggestions.

Hopefully LG or Sprint will address and correct this.

I also have the LG G4 (Verizon) and am experiencing Maps freezing. However I disagree that it is due to the GPS in the phone. Instead it appears to be a bug introduced by the MM update but mainly affecting the LG phone. Here's why.
1. Maps in AA was solid with no freezes for several months and the freezing only started right after the MM update.
2. I have a Honda Accord with factory installed head unit. AA uses the car's GPS, not the phones. I can set the phones location setting to not use the GPS (Battery Saver Network Only) and AA will continue to track my car's position on the road and navigate fine. (until the screen freezes)
3. Most complaints of this issue seem to be from LG G4 users and not other phones.

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I just got updates to the AA (ver 1.6.240040) and maps (ver 9.22.2) applications on my phone yesterday. Surely the would fix the problem with the maps display freezing after a few min. Nope, still freezes. I have also noticed that the Google Play Music screen will sometimes be frozen and unresponsive too even though music is still playing and it has moved on to the next song. So does not seem to be restricted to the maps app, just more frequent and noticeable.