Recommendations and Rant (4100NEX worth it?)?

fljames989

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Recommendations and Rant (4100NEX worth it?)

My wife likes her small car (MAZDA2). We want to keep it many more years and it has just a stock radio with no Bluetooth or anything. I am a car stereo novice and trusted the store. They said the Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS would handle everything I wanted, which was navigation through google maps and seamless integration.

Well, jokes on me.. the unit is terrible.

Now that I have researched it more, it seems the best option for my wifes S6 Active is a headset with Android Auto.

Is the 4100NEX a good unit to use? All she wants is navigation and then easy way to listen to music and take calls while she can still see the map.

I am going to have to fight with the installer to change this for a 4100NEX (and I'm willing to pay the difference) but he only sells Pioneer products. I think that I can get a compromise from him to change the unit just for the difference cost, but if I should REALLY not be with Pioneer, I can figth with him tooth and nail to get my money back and go with another brand... that just seems like more trouble than its wroth if the 4100 is good enough.

Thanks!

daerik

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Recommendations and Rant (4100NEX worth it?)

I am connecting a Galaxy S6 (SM-G920T1) on a T-Mobile Network to an AVH-4100NEX in a 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis. I simply love this unit. The only differences I saw between this model and the more expensive Pioneer models (AVIC-7100NEX / AVIC-8100NEX) is that this one does not have a navigation module (AVIC-U260 Required), but the maps work fine with Android Auto when the device is connected. I am able to listen to music/podcasts/audio books/phone calls while navigating on the maps (I strongly suggest she turns off the audio on the maps during a phone call or in local traffic else it will be quite annoying). If you have any specific questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Recommendations and Rant (4100NEX worth it?)

The short answer: Yes.

4100NEX gives you 2 USB options, Android Auto and CarPlay. You've got hands free calling as well. Worth it.

kima0602

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I have kind of a similar situation. I have a 2011 hyundai santa fe and it comes with blue tooth already. And since i have phone Holder on my dash, i can see my Google maps fine. But, I'm interested in getting the pioneer 4100 nex has it will update my console and i also want rear view camera. What i am wondering is, whether it's worth it to pay all of this extra money to do a little more than i can already do, given that android auto is very limited? I'm thinking things like, quickly see am email on my phone, look at my calendar as a reference for a conference call, and other things which i can't do with android auto, since it locks your phone while it's in use. Long question short - is android auto worth it if my car already has blue tooth and given its limited capabilities?

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
In my neck of the woods, using your phone to check email or calendar while driving is not legal, not to mention unsafe. Android Auto is limited in scope by design, relying on voice commands and keeping touches and scrolling to a minimum so you can concentrate on the primary reason you're in your car, to drive.

What makes it worth it for me is Google Maps navigation that you can actually invoke by voice, compared to a crappy OEM system that takes about 5 minutes to key destination info into. That it adds an integrated experience for phone calls and media onto my infotainment screen is a bonus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie