Why does Android Auto not work after the Marshmallow update?

Kjeff

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Same issue. Marshmallow update totally hosed my ability to use Android Auto. It was working relatively well until then. Samsung Galaxy S6, 2016 VW Golf. Verizon is the carrier. Help!

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
No problems with Verizon for me on the Note 5 running MM. Like most I've got to change to MTP but that takes all of 5 seconds. I have a
2016 Honda Accord. From the outset I've had very, very few issues.

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
wow! that's surprising, most issues are Verizon users, I have Sprint and mine works flawlessly, what cable you using? have experimented with others?

Yes, mine was a bit odd from the beginning and I had to use the actual Samsung USB cable to connect my S6 to my Kenwood head unit for AA to work like it was supposed to. So, I can say with relative certainty its not the cable, but like seeing lightning and then hearing the boom you can say the boom was probably thunder. My S6 and Android Auto working well, but quit working immediately after the marshmallow rollout, I can also conclude it was the rollout that caused it to quit working. So the only thing which is unknown at this point is who is going to fix it? Google? Android Gurus? I really don't care who fixes it as long as it gets fixed and those who paid for a product should have a continued expectation the product will actually work....

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
No problems with Verizon for me on the Note 5 running MM. Like most I've got to change to MTP but that takes all of 5 seconds. I have a
2016 Honda Accord. From the outset I've had very, very few issues.

Same. But its annoying having to connect usb. Unlock the device then drag down menu and select MTP, ESPECIALLY when you know all you had to do was plug in and go before. The update caused us to move backward. Almost wishing I never updated the Note 5 to begin with.

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I never have to unlock the device. I simply start my car... Hondalink connects and then I plug in the USB and drag down to change to MTP. The only added step for me is to have select MTP each time.

ret18057

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
+1 for this silliness. No one has a fix yet? Since updating to 6.0.1 on my VZW edge+, it's having to switch USB types every time. For real?? How did they screw this up??

android_gti

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Galaxy S6 with Verizon after updating to Marshmallow...it worked fine in my 2016 VW GTI prior to the update. After the update, I couldn't get AA to work at all. After further investigation, I noticed that the update had switched off both my Bluetooth and my USB tethering. I was able to get AA to work once again by doing the following:
1. Connect USB cable to phone (other end connected to vehicle and infotainment powered up).
2. Go to phone settings>Mobile Hotspot & Tethering>USB Tethering
3. Activate the USB Tethering switch
4. Go to Infotainment Menu and select Android Auto (or whatever you have to do with your headunit to get AA to come up and be selectable)
5. From there connection is normal.

Hope this helps!

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Galaxy S6 with Verizon after updating to Marshmallow...it worked fine in my 2016 VW GTI prior to the update. After the update, I couldn't get AA to work at all. After further investigation, I noticed that the update had switched off both my Bluetooth and my USB tethering. I was able to get AA to work once again by doing the following:
1. Connect USB cable to phone (other end connected to vehicle and infotainment powered up).
4. Go to Infotainment Menu and select Android Auto (or whatever you have to do with your headunit to get AA to come up and be selectable)

Hope this helps!

Well, these steps did not work for me with the S6 and my Kenwood head unit (9702S). It would launch like everything is ok and then disconnect. Thanks for the info but didn't change anything with my setup.

AJelinek

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
This resolved for me short term as well then audio dropped to my phone only. I haven't figured out a way yet not to have to make this change on my phone every time I get into my 2016 GMC. Like many others I'm on a Verizon Galaxy S6 Edge.

warrenmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

Hope this helps!

Didn't work for me either :( BlackBerry Priv.

ret18057

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
For me, I CAN get it work, I just have to manually go to USB connections EVERY TIME and change it. And that's a 6.0 thang. Come on, Google, loving you ain't easy.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I have to change the USB setting every time, too. (Galaxy S6 on Verizon, Hyundai Sonata.)

I've also noticed that Pandora starts up immediately. It's extremely annoying, because I have to back out to the Hyundai main menu, turn on the radio (or Sirius or CD or whatever), then go back into Android Auto.

Has anyone else noticed additional screens since the Marshmallow update? Now, when I press the button to exit to the Hyundai main menu, I get a splash screen that says "Are you sure you want to return to Hyundai?" (or something like that). I don't remember that before.

I've also noticed that notifications about texts seem to disappear faster and without a pop-up sound. They really need to streamline the whole approach to texts in AA.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: why does android auto not work after marshmallow update?

Anyone with an M8 having these and voice command issues? Since MM I can't say any voice commands and navigation freezes as soon as the first direction should be given. Using my M8 with a Kenwood 9902s unit.

Posted via the Android Central App

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Well, I wrote on here on April 7th that my Android Auto had ceased working after getting the marshmallow update. It is now 14 days later and nothing has changed with my status. Does anyone see any changes or improvements from anyone in the past 14 days? This is getting frustrating....Kenwood 9702, Samsung Galaxy S6, Android Auto which no longer works. The entire setup for me no longer works.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: why does android auto not work after marshmallow update?

Well when talking to HTC support about this issue, they say this is the first instance they have heard of these problems. I have done everything from deleting and re-installing AA to re-installing MM update. I really wish I could roll back to pre-6.0 because there wasn't an issue before. It'd also be nice if Google had a better support system for Android Auto. So far I haven't found a helpful avenue. Kenwood is the only one acknowledging the problem and they have told me I have to wait for a patch/update from HTC or Google. Not having navigation is a huge deal for me.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Getting Google support on almost anything is tough and I agree especially with Android Auto - too many variables like Android OS, device manufacturer, car make/model, carrier... Have you tried to get support through their twitter account?

Looking for help? Tweet @Android using #androidautohelp to get in touch with our team; we're available for customer support Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm PT.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Getting Google support on almost anything is tough and I agree especially with Android Auto - too many variables like Android OS, device manufacturer, car make/model, carrier... Have you tried to get support through their twitter account?

I sure have. Trouble shooting was difficult at 160 characters. Also they were quick to dismiss me with a not our problem answer.