Wondering about the capabilities of AA...some info seems to be harder to find.

Can it set reminders or alarms? Can I ask it "what song is this?" when there's a song playing on the radio? Is it really just maps, texts, and (limited) music apps?

With all the kinks I've been reading about, not sure it's any better than just having your Android phone set to "driving mode" and mounted on your dash vents and using "Google Now".
    05-18-2016 01:25 AM
    You can set a reminder. And ask it typical things but not everything you can ask the phone. You can't ask it to recognize a song because it mutes the audio when you're talking to it.

It does not do everything your phone will do, but that's kind of the point.
    05-18-2016 11:57 AM
    You can set a reminder. And ask it typical things but not everything you can ask the phone. You can't ask it to recognize a song because it mutes the audio when you're talking to it.

Voice will work on song recognition. I tried it the other day by asking "what song is this?" and it tells you what's playing, but only title and artist which is pretty redundant because if you're listening to AA music, it's right there on the screen. I'm still trying to find a way to get the album name of the now playing song. It doesn't show that information.
    05-18-2016 12:00 PM

Thx for ur reply!

Based on what you said, can I easily switch out of AA mode and have full use of my phone again? I know AA seizes controls of our phones, but if I'm just listening to the radio or a CD, is my phone still locked up as long as it's plugged in via USB?

If not, will I still receive email/news/social notifications on my phone while listening to radio/CD? Not that I would READ each one, but I might feel weird not getting any notifications until I've parked & unplugged my phone. What if I just want to view my note-taking app to see my to-do list?

Sorry...trying to work out the kinks in my head b4 I spend $700 on a AA HU that is GREAT in some respects, but also hinders certain things that I would consider important.

THX!!!
    05-18-2016 02:17 PM
    Thx for ur reply!

Based on what you said, can I easily switch out of AA mode and have full use of my phone again? I know AA seizes controls of our phones, but if I'm just listening to the radio or a CD, is my phone still locked up as long as it's plugged in via USB?

If not, will I still receive email/news/social notifications on my phone while listening to radio/CD? Not that I would READ each one, but I might feel weird not getting any notifications until I've parked & unplugged my phone. What if I just want to view my note-taking app to see my to-do list?

Sorry...trying to work out the kinks in my head b4 I spend $700 on a AA HU that is GREAT in some respects, but also hinders certain things that I would consider important.

THX!!!
    While your phone is plugged in, it is "locked" by android auto with a black android auto splash screen. You can still swipe down the notification shade and view what's there, but if you try to get back to the home screen, it'll bump you back to the Android Auto splash screen.
    05-18-2016 02:21 PM
    Wow so even if we're just listening to the radio & wanna plug in our phone just to CHARGE it, our phones are crippled?

I guess it's so that AA doesnt have to slowly boot on our phones every time we want to switch to it quickly maybe?

Thanks ireknole!
    05-18-2016 02:31 PM
    Wow so even if we're just listening to the radio & wanna plug in our phone just to CHARGE it, our phones are crippled?

I guess it's so that AA doesnt have to slowly boot on our phones every time we want to switch to it quickly maybe?

Thanks ireknole!
    Only if android auto is running. If you plug in the phone and don't start android auto on your head unit, it doesn't lock you out.

Although I wouldn't want to charge my phone with the data usb ports. I haven't heard of any that output enough voltage to actually charge the phone. I lose battery with mine plugged in. I have a Hyundai Sonata limited with built in Android auto. If I seriously want to charge, I have to use a usb adapter.
    JLiRD808 likes this.
    05-18-2016 02:36 PM
    Only if android auto is running. If you plug in the phone and don't start android auto on your head unit, it doesn't lock you out.

Although I wouldn't want to charge my phone with the data usb ports. I haven't heard of any that output enough voltage to actually charge the phone. I lose battery with mine plugged in. I have a Hyundai Sonata limited with built in Android auto. If I seriously want to charge, I have to use a usb adapter.
    Interesting feedback! I may have to keep my cig lighter charger then? Wow...

But once I start AA & get locked out, can I turn it off and get phone access again?

THX AGAIN!
    05-18-2016 03:27 PM
    Interesting feedback! I may have to keep my cig lighter charger then? Wow...

But once I start AA & get locked out, can I turn it off and get phone access again?

THX AGAIN!
    I would keep the charger. You can unplug your phone and have full access again, but based on my experience, once you're plugged in and have started android auto, you're locked out of your phone.
    JLiRD808 likes this.
    05-18-2016 04:49 PM
    Voice will work on song recognition. I tried it the other day by asking "what song is this?" and it tells you what's playing, but only title and artist which is pretty redundant because if you're listening to AA music
    To be clear... Android Auto does not listen to the song to determine a song that is playing like your phone does. If music is playing outside of Android Auto (like the radio for instance), it does nothing but mute the audio and eventually time out. If it is playing from Android Auto, it gets the name and artist from the service playing it... not from listening to it.
    05-19-2016 04:10 PM
    To be clear... Android Auto does not listen to the song to determine a song that is playing like your phone does. If music is playing outside of Android Auto (like the radio for instance), it does nothing but mute the audio and eventually time out. If it is playing from Android Auto, it gets the name and artist from the service playing it... not from listening to it.
    Ah. I just happened to ask it while listening to Google music and it told me what was playing. My mistake. That would explain why it couldn't give me the album info.
    05-19-2016 04:14 PM
    Based on what you said, can I easily switch out of AA mode and have full use of my phone again?
    Yes and no. You can access apps that were open before you plugged in to Android Auto, via the back button. If you stay in one of these apps, you will see notifications on your phone as they appear, but you will not hear your notification sounds as audio channels are still commandeered by Android Auto, and it does not let most notifications through.

BTW, I have a pioneer 4100NEX and a Nexus 6P and it charges just fine when connected. The Pioneer outputs 1.6 amps, so while it is not rapid charging, an hour drive easily puts 25-30% more on the battery.
    05-19-2016 04:17 PM