Android Auto works great after changing phones

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
One of the main reasons I bought my 2015 Hyundai Sonata was because of the availability of Android Auto. I really looked forward to having this capability. It didn't take me long after owning it to be extremely disappointed. The interface was very sluggish, I would have trouble connecting it often, I would constantly get a messages that said "phone not responding" and my phone would not maintain a charge (in fact it would lose battery) while using Android Auto.

My phone was the LG G4.

I started having other problems with the G4 recently and so I finally gave up on it and bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. I have to say that Android Auto is everything that I hoped it would be now. Same car, same cable and Android Auto is fast, the connection has been foolproof and the battery actually charges while I'm using it. I apologize to Hyundai and Google if I ever complained about the car or Android Auto being the problem.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think my particular issue was an Android auto problem. My G4 was a disaster. I was having very poor performance opening and switching apps as well as a lot of other issues. I would do a factory reset and within a month the problems would return.

anon(9446079)

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm this.

I used a Nexus 4 before with Android Auto and it crashed quite often and pretty laggy sometimes. The phone itself was laggy as well some times - so this seems logical.

Since I have the Nexus 5X everything works smooth.
Android Auto heavily relies on the phone - which seems to be obvious.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't think my particular issue was an Android auto problem. My G4 was a disaster. I was having very poor performance opening and switching apps as well as a lot of other issues. I would do a factory reset and within a month the problems would return.

That sounds exactly like the G4.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Since i got AA with my 2016 Golf stock system ive used S6, G3, G4 and now my latest device is a 6P.

S6 - Worked half of the time, there were many moments where i would get a black screen and the only way to fix it was disconnect phone, clear cache for all apps (maps, phone, music, AA) and reconnect. This would happen once a week and drove me nuts. Everytime i would plug device it, it would delete my Bluetooth connection...so if i wanted to not plug it in the next time, i would have the re-pair every single time. ANNOYING.

G3 - Only used it for a 2 hour commute for google maps, would disconnect every 10 mins and route information would get lost.

G4 - Generally kind of worked, super laggy though. Transitioning between sections (phone, maps, home, music) on AA would lag/stutter. Maps would not properly update, i took a 1 hour commute and while the google voice was synced with my gps location, the map wouldnt update and required me to click on Home and back to Maps to realign. Clicking ALLOW everytime to connect, minor thing but annoying nevertheless.

6P - So far the best experience. No lag, connects instantly every single time with no hiccups, bluetooth works if i dont feeling like plugging into AA. Have yet to try maps, i will tonight...but otherwise everything else has been flawless.

AA really needs to be re-imaged or universally configured for Android N...the experience shouldnt be SO different and have this many problems. OEM's other than Google need to work close with google to get their problems sorted.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
AA really needs to be re-imaged or universally configured for Android N...the experience shouldnt be SO different and have this many problems. OEM's other than Google need to work close with google to get their problems sorted.

That's not the problem. It works as well on N as it does on M. (And probably L — I don't remember.)

The problem is when manufacturers mess around with what happens when you plug a phone in.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
That's not the problem. It works as well on N as it does on M. (And probably L — I don't remember.)

The problem is when manufacturers mess around with what happens when you plug a phone in.

Ah, very good point as they all do react or behave differently.

Posted via the Android Central App

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Odd. I have a V10 and Android auto works perfectly fine. No lagging. No connection issues. The V10 is essentially a respun G4. Only issue I have... Phone will LOSE charge using Android auto if I use google maps navigation. If using only music it will slightly charge. I also have a Hyundai Sonata. I'm guessing the phone isn't using the cars GPS with google maps hence the battery drain. Despite my car having the factory navigation system installed.

anon(365490)

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Which cable are you using for your Nexus 5x? I've tried 3 different ones and still can't get the phone to see the car. I'm in a Hynundai Tucson with current versions of all the various bits of software...

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Which cable are you using for your Nexus 5x? I've tried 3 different ones and still can't get the phone to see the car. I'm in a Hynundai Tucson with current versions of all the various bits of software...

Did you open developer mode and enable USB debugging? As soon as I did this my 6P was visible to my car.

{Nexus 6P}

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
So I have a quick question that I probably already know the answer too... it's really up to the phone manufacturer to make it work with android auto or no? That's what it sounds like so correct me if I'm wrong. I have the latest version of Android running and a 2017 car I bought two months ago and it doesn't work. It kind of sees it under smartphone manager but it's grayed out

Posted via the Android Central App

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Odd. I have a V10 and Android auto works perfectly fine. No lagging. No connection issues. The V10 is essentially a respun G4. Only issue I have... Phone will LOSE charge using Android auto if I use google maps navigation. If using only music it will slightly charge. I also have a Hyundai Sonata. I'm guessing the phone isn't using the cars GPS with google maps hence the battery drain. Despite my car having the factory navigation system installed.
It's the Hyundai usb port. It doesn't output enough amps to charge the phone while in use.

I asked Hyundai about it and they said it's not designed to charge your phone and to make sure your phone is charged above 15% to run android auto....ugh.

The isn't fixed in their new models either. Once again car manufacturers holding back progress...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci