Can I use a "Power Injector" from a car adapter to enable "quick charge" from my USB port?

Nathan Greenfield

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
Can I use a "Power Injector" from a car adapter to enable "quick charge" from my USB port?

When connecting to the built-in USB port on my car (that allows for Android Auto) I get a "slow charge" -- if a charge at all (I think I'm actually losing power). Does anyone know if I use a cable (like this: https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Enhancer-Female-Charge-Extension/dp/B00NIGO4NM) to safely boost the power to enable "quick charge" on my phone while running Android Auto?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can I use a "Power Injector" from a car adapter to enable "quick charge" from my USB port?

Welcome to the forums. I am not sure that will work. What phone do you have, and do you know the amp output of the USB port in the car?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can I use a "Power Injector" from a car adapter to enable "quick charge" from my USB port?

Make sure you are using a charging cable. Install Ampere, it will tell you if you are doing USB or AC charging and how much current you are pulling.

Victor Howard

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

It depends on the head unit you have. I tripped out my 8100NEX by using a high charge cable with my 5X which pulls 3A. Back to a 1.7A cable and everything works, with a normal charge.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

When connecting to the built-in USB port on my car (that allows for Android Auto) I get a "slow charge" -- if a charge at all (I think I'm actually losing power). Does anyone know if I use a cable (like this: https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Enh...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5266455) to safely boost the power to enable "quick charge" on my phone while running Android Auto?
I've tried all sorts of cables and nothing works.

Not sure if what car you have, but my Hyundai Sonata 2015 can't change my phone with the built in usb. It is actually losing charge with Android auto running. The usb port is made to charge ipods and that's it. Hyundai has even admitted this, but keeps reusing their underpowered usb ports in every new iteration of their cars.