to use android auto please park your car and check your android phone (?)

asauers11

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Android Auto works great with my 2015 moto x pure and Pioneer 4200NEX most of the time. Occasionally and seemingly at random the screen in the HU will go black and display "to use android auto please stop your car and check your android phone". I have to unplug and plug back in to fix it, but the error will come back. Anyone ideas...it's driving me crazy. It seems to happen only if i am using maps.aa.jpg

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed this too. Sometimes I see that the phone is asking for permission for AA to access something like contacts, etc. and you need to grant permission for. Sometimes it wants me to set the emergency brake (my car has an ebrake). I think you need to not only stop the car but power it off and set the ebrake.

John Paul Gerling

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the same exact issue when I use maps. It's pretty common for me and I have to turn the car completely off to reset it. Putting it in park does not help.

Who has a resolution to this problem?

J

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Google has. They are the only ones that can change the code in the Android Auto app that apparently has this bug. It happened to me again yesterday. I don't know what's so damn difficult to program this so that it works consistently. Programs are known such that given the same input you get the same output. This should be a no brainer...

asauers11

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Google has. They are the only ones that can change the code in the Android Auto app that apparently has this bug. It happened to me again yesterday. I don't know what's so damn difficult to program this so that it works consistently. Programs are known such that given the same input you get the same output. This should be a no brainer...

Seems to not happen if i am playing music through AA, but does if I'm using radio or ipod. What phone/os are you guys using. It's pretty annoying that i paid so much for a new head unit mainly to run Android auto and this is the experience. 😐

asauers11

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
trying to troubleshoot further...

is this happening on aftermarket headunits or all? i have a pioneer 4200nex. another variable, the usb connection. I'm using this extension: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7S2FR...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5454080 with an anker micro usb cable plugged into it. i've tried other microusb cables with the same result so it could be the extension. Seemed like a higher quality cable than the one bundled with the HU (i used that one for the USB 1 input.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Seems to not happen if i am playing music through AA, but does if I'm using radio or ipod. What phone/os are you guys using. It's pretty annoying that i paid so much for a new head unit mainly to run Android auto and this is the experience. ??????

The problem as defined (well at least as I've experienced it) is in connecting to AA. Instead of connecting like it usually does it asks you to check your phone. Hence asuers11 if you are playing music through AA then you're already connected and I wouldn't expect the problem to occur. Likewise if you are using the radio or ipod (I assume that by "using the ipod" you mean you have it physically plugged in) you are probably not connected to AA and experience the problem in connecting to AA.

I'm using a Galaxy S7. My car is a 2016 Corvette and the head unit is the one which came with the car (MyLink 2 system). Note for 2016's I needed to go to the dealer to have a firmware update on the hardware to support AA. When I left the dealer I was trying out AA and couldn't connect. I immediately went back to the dealer to have him look at it. This is when I learned that I needed a "good" cable. I now have been using the white one that comes with the S7 in the box and have had really little trouble with AA. Most times it connects. Sometimes it stubbornly refuses to connect. Often just reconnecting the wire fixes it. Sometimes I need to stop the car and turn it off and open the door. Other times I've seen a dialog box popping up to say "Allow AA to talk to device" or some such. Why it keeps forgetting that I said allow is beyond me! And yes sometimes I get this message to check my phone as if AA had re-started a connection with my car. There are also times where I see more than one car listed in AA on the phone. You see I rename the "Chevrolet MyLink" name to "Blue Thunder", which is what I call my car. Sometimes I'll go in there and see "Blue Thunder" and "Chevrolet MyLink". Note, it's not obvious, but to delete the extra one swipe right. There's nothing in the UI that tells you that - you just oughta know! (<- Dumb, just pure stupidness!)

asauers11

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
The problem as defined (well at least as I've experienced it) is in connecting to AA. Instead of connecting like it usually does it asks you to check your phone. Hence asuers11 if you are playing music through AA then you're already connected and I wouldn't expect the problem to occur. Likewise if you are using the radio or ipod (I assume that by "using the ipod" you mean you have it physically plugged in) you are probably not connected to AA and experience the problem in connecting to AA.

No, I am connected to AA, but yes, it loses it somehow. Here's how it happens in my case.

1. Start car, HU boots up.
2. Plug in phone and AA automatically launches.
3. 9 times out of 10 if I am only using AA for maps or navigation, at some point during my trip the screen in my first post will pop up. it's random, it could be 2 minutes or 30 minutes into the drive. Like i said, if i am playing music through AA and using maps or nav, it won't happen. Why should i have to burn through data by playing music if i only want to use maps. frustrating.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
The music I play is already on my phone. Usually, however, I'm listening to podcasts, which are also on my phone. Seldom I am using only maps.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Same message. As I understand AA, you don't get anything from the head unit. The head unit's firmware merely says "I'll draw that to the screen" and "the user tapped here" and that's it. All "smarts", including the contents of any message, come from the Android Auto App on your phone. And while say Google Maps might want to update the screen I believe it does so through the Android Auto App.

My AA app on my phone is version 1.6.281040 (2825091-release) last updated on May 4, 2016