Android Auto with LG G3 Marshmallow - Works well

jlabadie1

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I installed a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX coupled with my LG G3 (running Marshmallow)to implement Android Auto. I
Ive used the system for a month and am very satisfied. Here are some observations:
I installed the Pioneer in a 2004 Honda CRV using the Pioneer provided USB cable (everything bought from Crutchfield) The cable is somewhat expensive, but research indicated one wants top quality cables for car use....The cable is also a bit short, which works well in the 2004 CRV where there is a small storage area to put the phone under the radio...other cars may not be as easy. I installed the provided pioneer microphone above the rear view mirror. I installed a parking brake bypass, which was required to use the system.
1. Maps: the maps system is excellent. Voice commands are understood with an extremely high degree of accuracy. I often just say the store I want to go to and pick the one I want off the menu presented. I have also been able to speak a contact name and it maps to the address in my contact list. Radio and music can be used in concert with maps
2.Music: I have used Spotify and it works great. If I have an artist or playlist in use, the android auto picks this up as I plug my phone in to the usb. Alternatively, I can use voice commands to call for an artist. On Spotify this gives you the "Popular"songs for that artist. The voice recognition is very accurate. Voice commands can be used for albums, but it seems that the album name needs a distinctive name or you may get something else. You cannot get playlists with voice commands. I can have a playlist already in use and then plug the phone in and enjoy that playlist. One excellent feature of Android Auto is that the audio is great, it's my understanding that the music utilizes the audio capability ot receiver (in my case the Pioneer) , where in my other car I connect the phone through the headphone jack and it relies on the phone audio capability, which is not as good.
3.Phone: Phone calls are executed through voice controls and it works extremely well....voice recognition is extremely accurate
4. Text: The text system works extremely well. Initially I had problems with the text application that came with my LG G3. I switched to google messenger and it has worked flawlessly. I can initiate texts through voice, and with some limited experience I have received a text and replied with voice commands

In Summary, Android Auto has worked extremely well for me. Per design it is almost completely voice activated and as such much safer than fumbling around with the phone for maps and music in other implementations in the car.

pjl1964

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly! I just had a Pioneer 4200 NEX installed in my 2012 Kia Soul. Had a small challenge finding a USB cable that worked well, but now I have it worked out. Each time I plug in the message on screen says, "USB incompatible," but within about 20-30 seconds I hear two long hums, and Android Auto is humming on my system. I've had it freeze on me once, but no big deal. Reconnect and everything went well. I'm also using an LG-G3 with Marshmallow.

jlabadie1

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. If Ive been using android auto on the unit next time i plug the it fires up within seconds. Maybe the 4100 is quicker. I think buying the Pioneer cable is a good idea.
I usually wait for the pioneer unit to start its boot up and press the ok for the warnings then plug the phone in. Ican also do it earlier. If i was listening to radio i have to toggle back to home screen on the pioneer and then press the android auto icon, then im up and running. The first 10 or so times i had to press ok in a dialog box on the phone to finish the connection. That is no longer required, no interction with phone required after plugging in usb. Bottom line is its pretty quick to start up which is nice when running errands

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie