Google voice not able to access contacts

Hutch443

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I have searched this forum but I didn't see any answers to my issue.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5 connected to a Kenwood DDX9903S head unit in my car. When connected, I am able to use and access Google Maps, Pandora, etc. I am also able to receive calls.

The issue I am having is that when I try to make a phone call using Google Voice via the microphone icon on the stereo, I say, for example, "Call Mike." Google Voice replies with the following:

"Sure, but when it's safe, you'll need to disconnect your phone from the car and tap the notification, then you can let Google access the contacts on your device."

I have went through my app settings to make sure my contacts are accessible but I am not exactly sure what it is talking about. Anyone have any ideas that may help remedy this problem?

Thanks

Hutch

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Have a look at the app permissions for both the Android Auto and Google apps and make sure access to contacts is on.

Hutch443

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Thank for the quick reply Pedrore.

I have checked the permissions for both Android Auto and Google Apps and the contacts permission for both are on. Any other suggestions?

On a side note, I updated my phone OS last week so I am running the latest version. Also, the stereo firmware is also the most recent version.

Hutch

Hutch443

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
For anyone having this issue, I worked around it by changing my Samsung Galaxy S5 user interface launcher from the default TouchWizard to Google Now. After downloading the Google Now app from Google PlayStore, change the launcher by the following steps:

1. Go into Settings
2. Tap on 'Default applications' ...
3. Tap on the 'Home' button. ...
4. Change to the Google Now launcher.

Your phone will look a little different and you will have to set up your apps and widgets to your liking.

Hutch

Garry Masters1

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
1) Google Now vs Samsung Touchwiz on my Note 5 made no difference-
2) turning on Notifications made no difference
3) verifying that Android Auto and and other apps could access contacts made no difference.
4) uninstall and re-install made no difference

It was apparently all because my gMail account had some block, when I exited the app and simply tried a voice command dial of a contacts I got a screen telling me this and I had to click 'Im IN' ..... yippi it now works (good thing because the chevy my link app phone and text apps are not great, and android auto was only working with like 2 contacts- hopefully this opens up access for both and life will be good!

DMac3429

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I have searched this forum but I didn't see any answers to my issue.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5 connected to a Kenwood DDX9903S head unit in my car. When connected, I am able to use and access Google Maps, Pandora, etc. I am also able to receive calls.

The issue I am having is that when I try to make a phone call using Google Voice via the microphone icon on the stereo, I say, for example, "Call Mike." Google Voice replies with the following:

"Sure, but when it's safe, you'll need to disconnect your phone from the car and tap the notification, then you can let Google access the contacts on your device."

I have went through my app settings to make sure my contacts are accessible but I am not exactly sure what it is talking about. Anyone have any ideas that may help remedy this problem?

Thanks

Hutch

Believe it or not, the problem is your Google voice activation.
On your phone, not connected to anything say OK Google... send a message. Follow the screen prompts so that Google cam access your contacts.
I did this and it worked like a charm.

Wendy Lazaro

May 17, 2017
Visit site
On your phone, not connected to anything say OK Google... send a message. Follow the screen prompts so that Google cam access your contacts.

Hi- I struggled with this. Easy fix. Exit Android Auto, go into your phone settings, select notifications, unselect Android Auto. Plug back into car usb port and Android Auto works!

lukas.chow

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site

Thanks a lot. This one fixed my problem..