Why does my Phone (Moto G4) not connect to my car (Android Auto) *some* of the time?

Holger Mayer

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi there,

I bought a Moto G4 Play specifically to use as a "Google Maps device".
So it sits in my car (an Opel Astra, same stereo/sat nav as may Buicks, Chevys etc) day and night, connected to the USB for the sat nav all the time.

Most of the time, it works like a charm. But when I leave the car, and come back the next morning (the Moto still inside, still connected to USB), Android Auto often times does not pop up on my head unit/ the radio. Android Auto is just not available, or it shows for around 10 seconds and then disconnects.

I either have to unplug and plug my phone to make it work again, or to keep it plugged in but to stop and re-start Android Auto and then it works. Sometimes unplugging works, sometimes restarting Android Auto works - when I need to do what is unclear to me.

Any idea why Android Auto doesn't start smoothly all the time in the morning?
Any suggestions what I could try?
Any experience with other Android phones left in the car overnight, connected to the car?

I'd really appreciate any help, guys.

PS: The Moto G4 Play runs Android 6 and has one of the "cleanest" Androids on the market.
PPS: sorry for the double-post in "ask question", my bad, but I don't know how to delete the question over there... Sorry!