Is there a way to access my phone with Android Auto?

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I like the fact you can still use your iPhone while on CarPlay. It's handy for things like finding an artist's​ song you wanna hear real quick or finding an address in an email or Facebook invite to throw into Maps etc.

I get that Google's trying to make you more safe but it should detect when you're moving to do that. If I'm at a light or parking lot before I leave or something it should allow me to access the phone.

Is there a way around this?

What I've been doing which is mildly inconvenient is unplugging my phone doing my business then plugging it back in and then selecting Android Auto on my infotainment system and waiting for it to load.

Not the best way to do things but still. Gets the job done.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Nope, phone is not usable while you are using AA. You need to back out of AA (go back to your main radio info dash interface) and then perhaps the normal phone screen interactions will come back. It is a safety thing and done on purpose.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to back out of AA on the head unit on my MB. You will have to unplug the phone. Obviously, that's what OP was doing as well.

SpaceyO

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but on first startup of Android Auto, I press the recent button and from there the home button, then have full use of my phone, including (thank goodness) PowerAmp.

The screen times out in 20 or 30 seconds instead of the 2 minutes I usually have the phone set for, but as long as AA isn't the main app on the screen I can just unlock and swipe up to get to the phone.

Should mention that I'm using a Galaxy S7 and a 2 day old 2017 Honda Civic :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith