Incoming SMS not read while offline.

dannysheppard

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
I use Android Auto without a data connection and when I get an incoming message, I touch the notification to play the message and all I see is the multi-coloured dots bouncing. I get this same behaviour whether connected to my car, or in standalone mode, so I don't believe it is car related. However, if I turn on Wifi and connect to my home internet, it works (in standalone and when connected to my car). I can send messages no problem while offline.

My understanding from reading other threads on this issue is that it should be able to read my incoming text messages without cellular data or wifi (at least others say it works for them).

I have a Nexus 5 phone (Android 6.0.1) and 2017 Honda Pilot.

I raised another issue earlier today regarding offline issues with Maps, but I'm not sure if it's related.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...rk-offline-when-connected-car.html#post586524

Last edited:

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd say the answer you received in the other thread also applies here. Although SMS is phone, not data, AA may be complicating the connection.

dannysheppard

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
That's where I'm confused. A lot of people report having no issue with having SMS text messages being read offline. So it doesn't make sense that data is required... assuming that you can trust what you read on the internet :p

I read the Google documentation on this and it does say a data plan is required, but at the same time a ton of people report that it works offline. Same goes for maps.

For example: https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...se-google-offline-maps-without-data-plan.html

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
My understanding from reading other threads on this issue is that it should be able to read my incoming text messages while offline (at least others say it works for them).]

In reference to 'offline' if you're referring to no WiFi and no mobile data, than that does apply as you can send/receive phone calls and SMS (but only conditionally MMS) when you have both disabled -- each only require very low bandwidth so they're functional using just basic cellular connectivity. (note the distinction between 'cellular' as in your account with your carrier and 'cellular - mobile data' as the rated, pay-for connectivity.)
But technically being 'offline' means your mobile device is 'offline' as in no connectivity, as in no WiFi and no usable connection to the nearest cellular tower, so in this instance you cannot send/receive phone calls or SMS.

dannysheppard

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
By offline I mean no WiFi and no cellular data. But I do have a connection to send/receive SMS messages. I received the notification on the phone/in Android Auto that I received an SMS. Android Auto just won't read it to me.