Android Auto no longer launches

Oliver Rowen

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

This is a great forum you have here.

Two days ago (September 15th) both my Moto Z and my wife's Moto Z Force lost their ability to launch Android Auto in either one of our AA equipped cars (a Ford Sync system and Cadillac CUE system).

We have been using AA for the better part of a year without major issue.

Here is my description of the issue:

When I plug the phone in via USB-C cable, normally it launches AA and hands over control to the car's infotainment system. However, since September 15th, AA will not launch and both cars cannot see the device.

While plugged in, the phone erratically displays the "N"-looking logo up top that provides options for what to do with your device (charge only, transfer files, etc). I've never had to change anything here and it doesn't seem to help the issue now. Also, this setting comes and goes every few seconds anyway.

The charging icon also comes and goes while plugged in, which suggests a USB-C cable or connection issue. I visited a Cadillac dealer and tried to plug into another new car, and the performance was identical (even the erratic charging).

I have tried two different USB-C cables.

The Ford Sync system seems to "try harder" to connect, as the car's display flashes the AA logo momentarily, then an error message saying that "Sync cannot control the device" or some such, then the AA icon disappears from the Sync display. This whole cycle repeats as long as the phone is plugged in. The Cadillac CUE doesn't display any messages but will occasionally show the AA icon for a split seconds.

So in summary, I have tried 3 cars from 2 manufacturers, 2 cables, and 2 phones, with each combination providing the same results. It appears that our Motos received an update on the 15th that blocks the function of AA.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol