Notifications and voice commands help (and a little rant, sorry)

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Let me preface by saying that I own a Galaxy S8+ and an iPhone 7 Plus and the Samsung is by far the better phone, in my opinion. I tlooks better, the screen is better, it lasts just as long on one charge and it has many other features that blow my iPhone out of the water.

The only thing keeping me from moving to it full-time from my iPhone is Android Auto.

For reference, my phone always stays stowed in my central bin and I rely on audio cues and voice control entirely whilst driving.

In comparison to Apple CarPlay, which just works seamlessly without any fuss, Android Auto is a complete ballache. No matter what I try, audio notifications will not come through my car. I get the visual banner notification but that is next to useless when I am watching the road, not my screen. When I connect my phone to my car, it enables Do Not Disturb automatically, meaning that no notification sounds come through, regardless of which text or call app I am using. As I spend a large amount of my day in my car, making and receiving business texts and calls, I *need* to receive audio notifications of my incoming messages and calls so I can respond to them promptly. I resorted to using Tasker to turn DND off but that seems to be largely hit-or-miss as to when it works. Being that this isn't a foolproof method, I can't rely on it to notify me.

Also, 'Hey Google' only works about 75% of the time. If it does work, it can't read me messages from specific people, only new messages, which is also not optimal if I need to reply to a message I have already heard but not replied to then and there. Also, no matter how clearly I speak (I am an actor and voice actor with a ton of major titles under my belt, plus thirty years theatre experience, so I know my voice is clear), and how quiet the background is, Google will recognise some words as other words. For instance whenever I say the word 'done', regardless of which accent it is in, Google hears the word 'down'. There are about half a dozen words where Google just cannot discern between what I actually said, and what it thinks I said, and it drives me crazy as I have to edit and rephrase my messages.

When moving between stages of a voice command, like "Hey Google, send a message to John Doe', firstly it asks me 'home or us cell', even though it should already know that the last thing I want to do is send a message to a landline number as those historically can't receive text messages. When I answer, it displays the four coloured 'processing' dots on the screen for maybe up to thirty seconds before it asks me what I want to say. Assuming it hears me correctly first time round (which it fails to do maybe 70% of the time, necessitating an edit), it then displays the four coloured dots again for a minimum of ten seconds before it sends the message.

There must be a way of overcoming these two shortfalls. The pressing issue is incoming notifications and I need to get this sorted out immediately if I want to continue using the S8+. Also, does anyone else experience lag or delay in the voice control interface between issuing commands, or have any advice on how I might rectify this please? I've tried many things, up to an including factory reset to stock apps and no third party apps installed, yet both issues persist on a brand new restored phone.

I've gone back to using my iPhone 7 Plus until I can get these issues fixed as none of these issues arise in Apple Carplay, the system just works flawlessly, just the phone sucks in comparison.

So I either suffer with a sucky phone, or a sucky car interface. Being that the sucky phone doesn't get me frustrated and angry, I went with that option until I can get this rectified. I don't want to have to keep swapping out the sim card whenever I get into or out of my car. That way lies madness.

Any help gratefully appreciated and apologies for the rant.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
All notifications are suppressed by design by Google in order to not distract you.

As for voice recognition, I found Google's system of is much better than iPhone in my personally experience. Are you sure you didn't disable the Samsung's voice system, e. g. either S Voice or Bixiby?

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
All notifications are suppressed by design by Google in order to not distract you.

As for voice recognition, I found Google's system of is much better than iPhone in my personally experience. Are you sure you didn't disable the Samsung's voice system, e. g. either S Voice or Bixiby?

Thanks for the reply. If I have an audio system where I can listen and reply to my text messages by voice, it seems utterly counter-productive to stop me receiving audible text notifications. It's not as if i'm looking at my phone; it is stowed in my center bin and stays there for the entirety of my journey. And don't forget I still receive the visible notification banner on my Android Auto screen, just not the audible notification. So if anything this could cause distraction even more than just allowing me to focus on the road and wait to hear when a message comes through.

Where initially I did disable a lot of things on my phone (but not S Voice or Bixby), since resetting it to factory, I haven't disabled anything on the phone at all. Not even Lookout, yet still this issue persists.

Oh well, for me, Android Auto is just terrible. and whilst I vastly prefer the Samsung to my iPhone, I need to use a device that fulfills all my needs with the least fuss, so I guess I shall move back to my iPhone full-time, sadly. :(

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There is no sense to fight against Google's design principal of AA. If you don't agree with what Google have in mind, don't use it.

For Samsung phones, you DO need to disable S Voice and/or Bixby in order for Google Voice recognition to work correctly. Somehow you are hindered by Samsung's poor S Voice performance.

For me, the Google Maps alone is well worth the trouble over Apple Map.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no sense to fight against Google's design principal of AA. If you don't agree with what Google have in mind, don't use it.

Yep, I swapped back to my iPhone. I need to use whatever phone and ecosystem fills my requirements, and that is in no way Android Auto, sadly. Currently Android Auto is such a royal PITA that i'd rather put up with an iPhone that just works without fuss, than contend with missing notifications on a far superior phone. Of course this is purely my opinion.

But you don't see the irony that the visible notification appears on my car screen, yet the audible one is silenced? That's comedy gold right there. If it's supposed to help prevent distraction, surely it should be the other way round, no? Hide the visible notification and just allow audible notifications? It literally makes no sense whatsoever...

The nature of my job is that I need to get access to calls and messages the moment they come in. Not one hour later when i've got to my destination and DND is turned off.

I far prefer function over form and Apple CarPlay currently gives me everything I need.

For Samsung phones, you DO need to disable S Voice and/or Bixby in order for Google Voice recognition to work correctly. Somehow you are hindered by Samsung's poor S Voice performance.

That I did not know. Thanks for the info. That's the second problem potentially cured. If I could only find a way round the first issue, I would be a happy boy.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I have used Tasker to turn off DND while in Android Auto mode. So far it seems to be working well and audible notifications are coming through fine. This pleases me immensely.

When you mean disabling S-Voice and Bixby, do you literally just mean force stopping and disabling from the Settings App please?

And yes, Apple Maps is terrible. It gets me to my location but its route guidance is frankly awful.