Is there an active phone call manager?

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
When I'm on a call there's no option to end the call. There's no screen that displays the current call such as their name, number or other options like a dialling pad or mute option. Does Android Auto have this or is there something missing on my phone / car?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's the Phone app. If you pull down on the notification bar, do you see a running notification for the call? If you tap it, does it open the active call screen? Some manufacturers include an option to always minimize the call screen once initiated, maybe you have that activated?

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
In terms of the notification bar, do you mean the 'home' screen where you press the circle? When I swipe down from the top (on my car's screen) I don't get anything. I do get a few options on my P20 Pro's notification shade though.

gillyallan

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I've got much the same issue. I can make a call in my Ford focus by holding voice button but I can't see how to end call. I also received a call and couldn't see how to answer it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to hit the end cal button on the steering wheel or swap back to the phone call on the screen. If I tap the phone button on the bottom navigation bar it swaps to the "call" display (like it would on your phone) and you can end it from there.

gillyallan

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I thought it would but it didn't.
Pressing the phone button on car screen showed me a list of last few calls but couldn't see anything about answering or ending a call.

I should add that I was running waze at time of calls.

Patrizio Boschi

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Same here, with Android Auto on Ford's Sync3.

Seems like Android Auto was actually never used on a car by the developers. Otherwise I don't understand how these behaviors during a call could be intended:
1) you have buttons on the steering wheel but you can't use them to control the call: if you press the hang up/next song button, you get the next song;
2) you have a 6.5" touchscreen display, but it doesn't display the call controls;
3) you have to distract from the driving in order to manage the call (by either navigating on the display or picking up the phone).

gillyallan

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Obviously it could be ford's programming of android auto at fault but I've disabled it until a next update of aa on my phone then I'll try again.
I also has to scramble about and physically use my phone which a. Is illegal and b. Defeating the point.

My downside to sync 3 is my car maps need updated compared to likes of waze and so far only ios has the direct connect to sync3.

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Obviously it could be ford's programming of android auto at fault but I've disabled it until a next update of aa on my phone then I'll try again.
I also has to scramble about and physically use my phone which a. Is illegal and b. Defeating the point.

My downside to sync 3 is my car maps need updated compared to likes of waze and so far only ios has the direct connect to sync3.

That's what I thought but I don't think it's our OEM's fault. I have a 2018 Peugeot 3008 (it's a French crossover) and I thought they'd somehow defeated the Android Auto call screen.

I literally have to do the same. When someone calls me I have to scramble to my phone to see who's calling (the Android Auto interface takes forever to show the name of the caller in a little notification at the top of the screen). To answer it, I have to answer it on my phone and when I want to hang up, I have to use my phone's end call button! A shambles!

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No problem on my MB headunit. I can answer or hangup calls using steering wheel buttons. Calls automatically show up as it should. It looks like a OEM issue indeed.

Of course, last couple Google Maps updates broke dedicated Navi button support in AA. MB doesn't believe in touch screens. So these dedicated buttons are very important to switch between screens.

Waze is also a big problem. It is a memory hog and crashes every 30 minutes or so (you see the screen reboots of Waze) when used in AA. I have a few times that it totally mess up the call screen (showing call still going even through it was ended). I will not use Waze until they get their acts together to fix the crash issue (being this way for a year now).