Hello,
    I would like to buy Double din Head Unit with Android Auto support for my 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. The head unit should be able to display a few apps like 'Podcast Addict', 'Pandora', YouTube , my music player etc. and gps maps. I am kind of confused about when a particular app will appear on a head unit with Android Auto support. Like there are some apps like 'Podcast addict' that I would like to use regularly on my head unit. I was wondering will all apps on my phone appear on the head unit or only some with special support for Android Auto. There are also headunits without Android auto support like this one and I was wondering what are the implications of buying one of these since while it has everything I need will other apps not appear because it doesn't have android auto support?
    07-06-2019 07:33 PM
    These are all the apps in the Play Store that will support Android Auto - https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...droid_auto_all

YouTube for sure will not play on the screen - one of the main purposes of Android Auto is to REDUCE distraction, playing videos flies in the face of that purpose.

Pandora and Podcast Addict are on that list. I don't know what music player you use, Google Maps for sure is supported.

However - that radio is NOT Android Auto, it is a head unit running a full Android version. That affords a little more flexibility but it eliminates the distraction-reducing interface of the actual Android Auto. That unit has a VERY small (by today's standards) internal storage capacity at 16 GB and only 1 GB of RAM.
    07-06-2019 07:53 PM
    You will get a limited number of apps...music and navigation. Spotify, Google Play Music, Pandora, YouTube Music, iheart radio, Amazon music and audiobook if memory serves me correctly. Then of course Google Maps, and Waze. I may have missed an app or two.
    07-06-2019 08:06 PM
    You will get a limited number of apps...music and navigation. Spotify, Google Play Music, Pandora, YouTube Music, iheart radio, Amazon music and audiobook if memory serves me correctly. Then of course Google Maps, and Waze. I may have missed an app or two.
    Are you referring to the headunit I mentioned in my question or you are saying that an Android Auto unit will have the above apps.
    07-06-2019 10:27 PM

YouTube for sure will not play on the screen - one of the main purposes of Android Auto is to REDUCE distraction, playing videos flies in the face of that purpose.
    I only want to listen to Youtube videos like Ted talks etc. and watch them. is that also not possible on Android Auto?
    07-06-2019 10:28 PM
    I only want to listen to Youtube videos like Ted talks etc. and watch them. is that also not possible on Android Auto?
    You're still technically playing a video which is of debatable legality in many locations. Most states in the US have laws against video playing within view of the driver in a moving vehicle. You can see the list of apps compatible with the actual Android Auto in the link in my first reply.

The head unit you linked may or may not have the ability to use the YouTube app, it is not actually Android Auto so it may or may not have the same limitations.
    07-06-2019 10:51 PM
    I wouldn't trust Google's list of as apps, if you really need an app then contact support for them. YouTube won't be supported, it would be nice if everything was supported when the car wasn't moving...
    07-06-2019 11:06 PM
    I wouldn't trust Google's list of as apps, if you really need an app then contact support for them. YouTube won't be supported, it would be nice if everything was supported when the car wasn't moving...
    Why not trust Google's list? That list is populated by the flags set in the app support files that indicate that they support Android Auto.

As a general guideline - only apps in the following categories can declare support:
    Messaging
    Phone
    Map
    Audio/music

To be clear though, the head unit the OP linked is NOT Android auto, it is running some version of Android as a stand-alone device.
    07-06-2019 11:16 PM
    Are you referring to the headunit I mentioned in my question or you are saying that an Android Auto unit will have the above apps.
    I'm referring to Android Auto support which should be universal. If your head unit has an Android OS system built in then I would contact the manufacturer to see what capabilities are enabled or disabled.
    07-06-2019 11:26 PM
    Why not trust Google's list? That list is populated by the flags set in the app support files that indicate that they support Android Auto.

As a general guideline - only apps in the following categories can declare support:
    Messaging
    Phone
    Map
    Audio/music

To be clear though, the head unit the OP linked is NOT Android auto, it is running some version of Android as a stand-alone device.
    You are correct in the distinction and clarification between the two.
    07-06-2019 11:29 PM
    Just a bit of a side note, radios like that, which have full Android built in do not have good reputations. In one of the car audio forum's I occasionally visit, they get asked about a fair bit. The general consensus is they have terrible sound quality (for various reasons) and questionable reliability. Not to mention the one you're linking to is a no name brand, meaning support is possibly non-existent.

Stick with a full blown head unit from one of the major brands. Pioneer, JVC, Sony, Kenwood, etc. Android Auto is almost standard nowadays in those brands and you'll get much better sound from them. I personally don't use Android Auto, so I can't help with your original question of compatible apps. I'm just trying to help you avoid buying something that turns out to be a piece of junk. Just to give you an idea...

They refer to the built in amplifier as a pre-amplifier. That's just wrong.

24W RMS power rating per channel sounds nice, but they rate that at 10% total harmonic distortion. In layman's terms, it won't be a clean sound when you turn it up. Reputable companies calculate RMS power at 1% THD, and they still output close to that same wattage. Distortion kills speakers, so you want clean sound.

It claims a 9-band EQ with "12 section adjustable frequency." I'm [/I]hoping[/I] that refers to the amount of adjustment in each band, but their info is written like a foreigner that only thinks they know English.

They call their 1024x600 screen "Full HD." Sorry, 1080p is full HD.

Dual Bluetooth? I know you can multi-pair a single Bluetooth device, but I've never heard of having two separate Bluetooth interfaces like they describe.

Quality head units are going to cost a fair bit more brand new. If money is a concern, look to the used market. Some good stuff can be found there at great prices, but make sure you can demo anything in person before buying.
    hallux likes this.
    07-07-2019 01:05 AM
    If Google's list is built from metadata from developers then all I can say is there are a lot of hopeless Devs there are many apps on the list that aren't supported by aa
    07-07-2019 07:21 AM
    Any specific examples? I do see a couple of questionable ones but I'd have to install them to see exactly what they're providing.
    07-07-2019 07:40 AM
    Just a bit of a side note, radios like that, which have full Android built in do not have good reputations. In one of the car audio forum's I occasionally visit, they get asked about a fair bit. The general consensus is they have terrible sound quality (for various reasons) and questionable reliability. Not to mention the one you're linking to is a no name brand, meaning support is possibly non-existent.

Stick with a full blown head unit from one of the major brands. Pioneer, JVC, Sony, Kenwood, etc. Android Auto is almost standard nowadays in those brands and you'll get much better sound from them. I personally don't use Android Auto, so I can't help with your original question of compatible apps. I'm just trying to help you avoid buying something that turns out to be a piece of junk. Just to give you an idea...

They refer to the built in amplifier as a pre-amplifier. That's just wrong.

24W RMS power rating per channel sounds nice, but they rate that at 10% total harmonic distortion. In layman's terms, it won't be a clean sound when you turn it up. Reputable companies calculate RMS power at 1% THD, and they still output close to that same wattage. Distortion kills speakers, so you want clean sound.

It claims a 9-band EQ with "12 section adjustable frequency." I'm [/I]hoping[/I] that refers to the amount of adjustment in each band, but their info is written like a foreigner that only thinks they know English.

They call their 1024x600 screen "Full HD." Sorry, 1080p is full HD.

Dual Bluetooth? I know you can multi-pair a single Bluetooth device, but I've never heard of having two separate Bluetooth interfaces like they describe.

Quality head units are going to cost a fair bit more brand new. If money is a concern, look to the used market. Some good stuff can be found there at great prices, but make sure you can demo anything in person before buying.
    I didn't even look at the specs. 10% distortion is atrocious at any level of output.
    07-07-2019 08:44 AM
    Any specific examples? I do see a couple of questionable ones but I'd have to install them to see exactly what they're providing.
    No sorry it was a while back, it is also possible the list has improved.
    07-07-2019 04:53 PM
    A lot apps in the list are message apps that send out message notifications which Android Auto can display and reply. So these apps are listed even though there is no other app specific UI in AA.
    dbareis likes this.
    07-07-2019 06:06 PM
    To answer one of the OP's original questions, not sure about AA but my note 8 will bluetooth youtube sound to our Sony AA compatible head unit
    07-25-2019 07:55 PM