[Closed] Help us 3D Print some Lloyd gear in this week's contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell Holly

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
3d-printer-android.jpg

Everything is better in 3D.

For the past few weeks we've been putting an Ultimaker 2 through its paces, and learned a ton in the process. We know that making your own accessories can be cool, dealing with failure can make you want to rip your hair out, and ultimately it's fun to try new things. There's even a mostly pointless Moto 360 pocketwatch adapter out in the world thanks to the experiences we've had so far. We've got a few more posts on the way about our experiences with 3D Printing so far — including whether or not this tech is ready to life in every house — but something was missing from the experience, our good buddy Lloyd.

What you see before you is a simple contest to get some Lloyd gear into the 3D Printing world, and the winner of this contest will walk away with an Android Wear watch of their choosing.
Entering is easy if you've got the right tools. Submit your entry in the forum post linked below before 11:59 PM ET on Tuesday, March 31. We'll announce the winner on Friday, April 3 with a blog post showing off what was printed from the winning submission.

• Submissions must somehow contain the Android Central Lloyd character. It can be something simple like a keychain fob with the character cut out, a complete 3D Lloyd figurine, and anything in between.

• Submissions must be posted here in the Android Central Forum. It can be a link to submissions to Thingiverse, YouMagine, etc., but the link must be in the Forum as well.

• Remixes of existing projects are fine, as long as that is made clear in the submission.

• Feel free to elaborate on the tools used and the time spent on the project. We love a good story.

• Multiple entries are allowed, but not necessarily encouraged. Put your best foot forward!

Good luck!

itr themes

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Quite the exclusive contest... It'll be interesting to see how many people have 3D printers I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

cron912

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The instructions aren't exactly clear. Does the item need to actually be designed and then printed on a 3D printer, or just the design completed? If a printed item is required, that rather narrows down the possible entrants.

Russell Holly

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Quite the exclusive contest... It'll be interesting to see how many people have 3D printers I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

Anyone with access to 3D software can design something, there's no need for a 3D Printer. We'll be doing the printing here in the office, and if the winner does not have a 3D Printer the winning design will be shipped alongside the prize.

Russell Holly

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The instructions aren't exactly clear. Does the item need to actually be designed and then printed on a 3D printer, or just the design completed? If a printed item is required, that rather narrows down the possible entrants.

Just the design, no need to print unless you're able.

itr themes

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone with access to 3D software can design something, there's no need for a 3D Printer. We'll be doing the printing here in the office, and if the winner does not have a 3D Printer the winning design will be shipped alongside the prize.

Oh I gotcha...as someone else pointed out, you may want to revise the post a little to make it a little less confusing on what we have to do.

Anybody have suggestions on 3D software?

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh I gotcha...as someone else pointed out, you may want to revise the post a little to make it a little less confusing on what we have to do.

Anybody have suggestions on 3D software?

If you're a student or a teacher you could try 3ds max, maya or similar at students.autodesk.com
It is professional software but available for free for educational use (you will be educating yourself while making those designs no? :D)

If not, there's always amazing Blender (blender.org), first 10 hours of learning it can bring you to a mental breakdown, but after that you'll start loving it.

There's prolly more other things available but i only know of those :)

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Question!
As I have never used 3d printer before I have no experience in preparing models for the print, so I wonder, is it possible to provide model in parts so you guys would glue it together or something?

batman458

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
It seems a bit empty here, is this where we post our entries? If so, here's mine!

The first thing i will say is that this is my first time doing anything involving 3D design/printing (but i think it went quite well), so i have no idea what would happen if you attempted to print this or tried to do anything with it at all. Anyway, here's some screenshots of what i made. It's meant to be a phone stand with the Lloyd logo raised up, but who knows if it would actually work as one.

Screenshot (40).pngScreenshot (41).pngScreenshot (42).pngScreenshot (43).pngScreenshot (44).png

this is a link to the .obj file, which i think can be converted to .stl in some way: Zippyshare.com - phone stand final.obj

if that doesn't work, this is the link to the .skp file, which can be opened in SketchUp (free program i made it in): Zippyshare.com - wip phone stand.skp

if you need any other files, I'll try my best to provide.

Russell Holly

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Question!
As I have never used 3d printer before I have no experience in preparing models for the print, so I wonder, is it possible to provide model in parts so you guys would glue it together or something?

Sorry, I need to be able to print the project here.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I need to be able to print the project here.

Sorry phrased wrong - was thinking of providing a project as series of parts so you would print it all by yourself and then glue it together or something, but it's np I already made the model will post soon :)

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Alright so here is my entry then.
A short disclaimer - despite trying as much as I could I have no way of confirming if it will print right, I have no printer at home, hell the closest printer I am aware of is at the end of a town I live in and I have no access to it anyway. The software I used (blender and meshmixer) does not seem to point to any major problems with the model and it's all made as one manifold mesh so should work nicely but if something won't work i can try to fix it.
So here's a link to the folder: LLOYD_FINAL is the model exported from blender, LLOYD_FINAL_MESHMIXER is with added support for overhanging element.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m0fwspo5l6fvvfr/AAByrFfzyAeURvVALlxMNvtDa?dl=0

Here's project view from blender and a quick render just for fun of it:
lloydWIP.png
render_done.jpg
I should admit that I had truckload of fun while doing this project and learned quite a bit of stuff I never needed to use before :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance