03-21-2011 10:10 PM
112 1234 ...
tools
    1. Tell us when you first started showing interest in the TB.

I wanted to get a phone on the new 4G LTE network. It was either the Thunderbolt or the Bionic. The other two seem pretty plain.

2. What interested you the most (features/aesthetics,etc.)?

The screen size is a plus. I heard a lot of good things about Sense. The kickstand is a plus too.

3. How crazy you've gone through all these delays?

It's been ridiculous. I'm constantly checking websites all day to find more news about the release. Almost to the point where I'm debating about the Bionic.

4. What your purchasing plan is: online, brick and morter, waiting outside Verizon's store all night?

I'm getting it through our corporate account.
    03-15-2011 01:39 PM
    Tell us when you first started showing interest in the TB.
    After CES when my employer announced we could leave Blackberry
    What interested you the most (features/aesthetics,etc.)?
    Not a BB
    How crazy you've gone through all these delays?
    Not very crazy just wasted a lot of time lurking the forums
    What your purchasing plan is: online, brick and morter, waiting outside Verizon's store all night?
    Through commercial rep
    And anything else that you think we'd find humorous or interesting.
    This will be my first Android phone (numerous BB for the last 8+ years)
    03-15-2011 01:40 PM
    Let's see here. It wasn't as long as some, but about 2 1/2 months ago. My birthday is Jan 17, and I was looking for a new phone as a gift since I was eligible on Jan 18. I loved my Alias 2, but it was time to upgrade to a smartphone. The second time I went into Verizon to check things out, I had more time to look at all they had, so I asked about the iPhone. The reps words as I was putting my iPod touch back into my pocket were, "Well do you love the iPod enough to just add a phone app to it? Because that's what you'll be getting, along with a bit more memory." To which I said know, and the Thunderbolt came next. I was warned that it'd be about a month before it would release, but she urged me to AT LEAST compare the phones head to head. There was no comparison though; I was already sold the instant she ran through the specs.

The number one thing for me: it's a smartphone. Having Android was also a plus. I always liked playing with my sister's D2, and compared to my Alias2, this thing was a super computer. I've been seeing HTC commercials and ads everywhere for the last 3 years or so, and have been intrigued by the way they advertised. So I was excited to have an opportunity to finally look into how they were as a whole. Turns out, they're pretty much the most respected company in the phone industry right now, and that finalized my decision.

Ya know, I'm a pretty collective person. I was a bit upset when the leaked dates (that were OBVIOUSLY official to Best Buy through Verizon) were missed, and I was tempted to just take the Fascinate off of my friend's hands that I had been using for the last few weeks, since I had already sold my Alias 2, and I like the Fasc a lot. But really, It's just been a waiting game. I was insulted more than crazy; with all Verizon's "calm down" releases but not giving any info or justification as to WHY we should be calm.

What your purchasing plan is: online, brick and morter, waiting outside Verizon's store all night?
    Since Verizon's price is officially $249.99, I think I'm going to head to a corp store and get it done. I've already preordered at Best Buy, but since I caught a lucky break, and actually got a bit of extra money, I'll probably buy a 360 game with that money and pay Verizon the $249.99. The worker there was incredibly helpful, even if she did pass bad information to me; I don't believe that was intentional since she knew I wanted THAT phone, and if I stopped in again, I wasn't going to buy something else. I almost feel bad not giving her the commission.
    03-15-2011 01:43 PM
    What's up guys! I've been a member here for a minute, more lurking than posting. This TB release is the craziest thing I've been apart of since joining the android community. But the time is finally upon us. Its been so much fun hanging on every word from bmx. All the puzzles and riddles, lol I will never forget it. Since learning about the bolt and finding out my area(Huntsville, AL) would be getting 4g 1H this yr, I knew this would be my next phone. Unfortunately I have to order online as I'm on an employee account otherwise I'd be at the stores on launch day. Good luck everyone! Droid Does!!!
    03-15-2011 01:45 PM
    Hello all,

I have been interested in this phone since the end of November, and this release has been killin' me.

I've never stalked a forum site as much as I have this one for the past four months, and I know we have all been through the delays, the Skype removals, the price increases, and the Best Buy torments. But, all the hype being built up for such a long time has been especially brutal for me because I came from an OS! That's right, an Original Storm (sooo much worse than your OG's)!

When I was the first person who preordered the ThunderBolt from the Best Buy in Flint, MI on the fourteenth of February, I thought the release was imminent. How naive, right?

Now, since then, over a month has gone by, and all I can say is how relieved I was to read about the official release this morning on AC, and winning a case for my TB would just be icing on the cake!
    03-15-2011 01:51 PM
    Just ordered my wife one from wirefly to replace her OG Droid because she was complaining it was too slow. Let's see her whine about slow now.

It would be great to get a case for it since she tosses her phone in her purse with all kinds of other crap so it probably could use the protection.
    03-15-2011 01:53 PM
    1. Tell us when you first started showing interest in the TB
    - Ever since it was called the Incredible HD

- Really psyched about skype and the whole kickstand dealio.

- Let's just say my friend at verizon is a little more than annoyed at my constant nagging lol

4. What your purchasing plan is: online, brick and morter, waiting outside Verizon's store all night?
    - Never waited on any device like that in my life. But i'm sure there will be plenty of devices to go around.

5. And anything else that you think we'd find humorous or interesting.
    - So theres a child molester and a little boy walking into the woods. The child molester and the little boy keep walking further and further, and its getting darker and darker, and theyre going deeper and deeper into the woods. The little boy looks up at the child molester and says, Gee, mister. Im getting scared. And the child molester looks down at him and says, You think youre scared, kid? I have to walk out of here alone.
    03-15-2011 02:03 PM
    About a month ago I was look at moving a Family plan over to Verizon. Research lead to Thunderbolt as the best device to come in the forcible future.

Everything... LTE, with a 1G Snapdragon processor, 8MP camera, 8G internal memory.

Not too bad once I learned when the actual release date was... then it was figuring out the official day they would announce it... and then watch everything fall into place.

I'll be at a Verizon store door, a little late, but on the first day.

Humorous that I could help break the AC thread post record in fairly short time, and try to keep the thread on topic as much as possible... Cory and a few other moderators were a big help with that.
    03-15-2011 02:09 PM
    I became interested in the HTC Thunderbolt when I started looking for a replacements for my OD. I was intertested in LTE because I can use the phone's hotspot at conventions, where we demonstrate a web based SAAS solution that we sell.

My home town of Harrisburg is not LTE ready yet but I expect it sometime within the year...

Would love to get the protective innocase for my new Tbolt.

Thanks AC and the community. I have learned much here!
    03-15-2011 02:19 PM
    Back last summer, when my “Storm” started to act up, I thought there might be some internal electrical problems. Little did I know that it really was just a Thunderbolt that wanted to find its way into my hands!
    Coming from a Storm, the most intresting features to me were the ones that worked and didn’t require a battery pull every couple hours.
    I don’t know if I went crazy, but I do find it harder to wait 2 days than not knowing a release date! Now I will have the Christmas morning feeling, or in the words of the old Disney Commercials, “I’m too excited to sleep!”
    I will be leaving work @ 8:30 and heading over to the local Coorperate store. My wife volunteered to pick it up for me… Nah.
    (I bought her an I*hone and she dropped it day 1 before I got her a case!)
    The “Thunderbolt” is the symbol of Zeus, which is the king of Greek gods. That makes this the king of phones, right? 
    It's 4G capabilities and dual cameras.

It's 4G capabilities and being able to browse while talking.

It's been absolute madness!

I'm going to pick one up at the VZW store, but not waiting all night long.

I used to have an iPhone and I am more excited about this than the previous iPhone releases.
    When I heard the code name Mecha
    Latest and Greatest Android running 4G LTE!
    I am running a Storm 2 with a poorly replaced screen. How crazy would YOU be!?
    I will head to a VZW store, but i'm broke and my wife also wants an iPhone. SO we may be hoping for a sale before we head in.
    Had a case like that on my Storm 1. It finally broke because of all the time I had to de case the phone to pull the battery. I think the TB won't be coming out of that case...ever!
    03-15-2011 02:21 PM

Well I always liked the EVO but because it was on sprint I always looked over it. I got the Droid X but not being able to get full access always kept the phone from reaching its true potential once they announced the thunderbolt it was perfect and it had the other things the DX didn't such as 4G Front Facing Camera More Ram.

For me it was Features such as the 4G Front Facing Camera and Sense which is way better than Blur and I like Blur!
    After the first few push backs I just figured I would wait till it came out and if something else came out fine but if not ill still get it. In the long run dualcores are probally better but Android won't fully utlize them till a couple months off and personally 1ghz is good enough I would have kept my DX if it wasn't for the locked bootloader and the burning upgrade in my pocket lol

Going to the Verizon store two blocks away from my job. After I take care of the data that morning im gonna ninja it out my job pick up the Tbolt and come back like I never left lol
    03-15-2011 02:27 PM
    Introduction:

I want to thank every member who has hung out in the Thunderbolt forums over the last several months. I've been through many a device release, and while rumors, delays, and un kept promises are usually part of each release; the launch of the TB has taken each and everyone of these things to the extreme.

From my vantage point, it has been so exciting for me to see this community grow. You guys have made a dream come true for me, and I hope everyone has found a new home at AC. I can tell you now, that we have been the most active TB forum I am aware of.

In the future, you will start seeing FAQ's, Guides for rooting, ROM's, Kernels, Themes, and a lot of other content that we hope will benefit you. This is your forum, so if there's anything I can do to make it better, please PM me and let me know!

So, to celebrate the upcoming launch of the TB, the growth of our community, and putting the past behind us, let's give away 3 Thunderbolt Innocase II Surface Cases.

To enter:

1. You must be a registered member.
    2. Introduce yourself to the AC forums HERE, if you haven't done so already.

And reply/post 1 or more of the following in this thread:

Winner Selection:

I will pick 3 winners on Sunday. March 20th at 3PM PST. You have a better chance of winning if you have an awesome TB story to tell.

Case Description:
    • Slim case that provides scratch and drop protection
    • Camera cut-out won't interfere with photo quality or the flash
    • Unique slide-in design makes putting on and removing your case easy
    • Rubberized coating and felt lining on the inside of the case protects your phone as you slide it in
    • Edges of the case do not interfere with buttons or the keyboard on your touch screen
    • Precision cutouts for access to the ports, controls, speakers, camera and kickstand
    • Case raises the camera away from a flat surface in order to protect your lens
    • Compatible with our Innocase Holster
    I first started showing interest in the TB in early January, when a friend was telling me about the phone as we were driving to some bar by the shore. What's interested me the most about the TB is its monster RAM, Snapdragon processor, and unlocked bootloader. I've dealt with the countless delays by installing various ROMs on my OG Droid. Come Thursday evening, I'll go to my local VZW store if the order I placed earlier today on Wirefly doesn't show as being shipped. Assuming that doesn't work out, then I'll get one the same way Seinfeld got a marble rye loaf (j/k).
    03-15-2011 02:35 PM
    1. ever since sprint came out with the 4G. i thought to myself why can't i have a nice phone like that? an then i realized: oh yeah im with verizon.

2. the GINORMOUS screen of course duhhh

3. Enough that i think i'm going bald from pulling all my hair out

What your purchasing plan is: online, brick and morter, waiting outside
    Verizon's store all night?
    4. legit going to verizon an then after my purchase whipin out my paintball gun and shootin the bijeesus outa them for making me go through such heartache

5. yeah,...VALENTINES DAY MY ***. ive been ready to smash the face of my 8330 curve to the ground since the 14th of FEB!
    03-15-2011 02:40 PM
    I initially joined the AC community around Sep 2010 so that I can learn more about android OS and see how/if I can get properly acquainted with it coming from a blackberry storm 1 (Oh yes! I am well acquainted after all these youtube reviews I saw of the TB including many other Android devices and cannot wait to roll with Android+Sense+TB form). As I searched thru the forums and the homepage, news of the TB immediately got my attention - I was hooked from then and have been following every peep up until the last tweet from vzw today.

Mainly the features, the 4.3" screen, FFC, even the kickstand! And what's best about it is that HTC was able to execute all this and give the TB a great aesthetic appeal - the device is sexy!

If there was an app that could count grey/white hairs on my head, then that might more help answer this. It was a bumpy ride, though BMX and Bennnnn have made it much better. I saw forum members giving up and going with an Atrix or an Iphone4; I told my self, I have to wait! After every delay, "i have to keep waiting", and I did, and not only that, I was able to get my wife and cousin to wait too! They're super excited about it too.

I'll be getting 3 (one for wife and cousin too) from a vzw authorized dealer (Shh! - he's going to hold 3 for me :-)

This place, Android Central, Rocks! Very helpful ppl here.
    03-15-2011 02:40 PM
    I have been following this devise since I first read about the rumors on AC. The delays have of course been driving me crazy, but I did it all back before I bought the Incredible. I will be giving the Dinc to my wife, and I will get the Thunderbolt at a verizon store Thursday when they open, thank goodness I have no meeting scheduled. I can't wait for root! The specs I love are the big screen, 4G, 32GB card. I like the kickstand.
    03-15-2011 02:51 PM
    -Back when I learned about Greek mythology and Zeus. Then I played Mortal Kombat growing up also and liked Raiden, even though he used lightening instead of thunderbolts. But im pretty sure I heard Thunder after each lighting bolt he threw.
    -Loving the fact that it is a mobile phone. Crazy that you can take a telephone with you on the go! Blows my mind. Also the dual camera's for video chat should be legit. And the 32 GB card is pretty generous.
    -Crazy, absolutely crazy. I ad to talk my wife out of buying the iPhone on a couple of different occasions while waiting for this beast to come out.
    -Planning on Bestbuy. Im hoping to jump in first thing in the AM.
    -Did I mention Zeus, the greek God of Thunder? He would probably has this phone. You guys should try and interview him and see if he likes it. Although the "Thor" movie is coming out, so he is probably busy with all that, multiple GOD coverage and all. Personally I always thought Thor was a pus*y.
    03-15-2011 02:57 PM
    CES
    screen, voice+Data over 3g
    i've eaten my own children(just kidding I don't have any kids)
    online most likely.

03-15-2011 03:02 PM
    I sold my Droid pro on ebay for $265 the last week of February because the T-bolt was supposed to be released then. Then the T-bolt got delayed and I thought I was screwed. I got a Droid X at Best Buy hoping the t-bolt would come out in the next 30 days and for a while I was worried, but now am happy!!! I will be at best buy when it opens on the 17th.

The two things I want are #1 LTE and #2 the front facing camera. The real reason I am even doing this is the LTE, I want it now!
    03-15-2011 03:03 PM
    Heard about it in January when I was ready to chunk my storm 2 off a tall building and in desperate need of change!

INSANE! I used my early upgrade before the policy changed on 1/15
    What your purchasing plan is: online, brick and morter, waiting outside Verizon's store all night? No, clue, is there a thread on this?
    I used my early upgrade before the policy changed on 1/15 because Verizon said "use it, or lose it." I bought the fascinate and was quite fond of it, but heard of the Thunderbolts imminent release just within my 30-day return policy. THEN THE RELEASE WAS DELAYED! Got Verizon management to approve me still getting the "early upgrade" pricing when the T-bolt came out if I returned my phone. Returned the Samsung and I have been dealing with my POS Storm 2 since and checking the web daily and getting my heartbroken weekly with all these false release dates!
    03-15-2011 03:05 PM
    - When it was first known as the Mecha last year, I forget when as time has stood still waiting for an official announcement.
    - SD card, the processor, FFC, 4G, and of course the awesome kickstand.
    - I've gone completely crazy checking out forums, blogs, and tweets. Also my sister has gone crazy because she is getting my old phone.
    - Going to be at a Verizon store first thing Thursday morning.
    - I'm on a boat! Okay not really, but I think I'd want to be on a boat just so I can have the phrase be true.
    03-15-2011 03:05 PM
    Well, my quest for the fabled TB is much like the quest for the Unicorn or possibly the inexpensive Mac product. As soon as I heard about it, I was more interested in the Tb then the Bionic, mainly as Moto has become more Gestapo like than the aforementioned secret police themselves. I have checked her, BGR, Phandroid, EVERYWHERE for info on this phone, especially after hearing of the possibility that it supports simultaneous voice and data. The phone itself will be the first replacement for my OG Droid, so it will be odd not having a physical keyboard... but I"m sure i can live without it!
    03-15-2011 03:10 PM
    I have wanted the Tbolt since androidcentral started talking about the phone and vzw simultaneous voice is here, yes. I am so excited about this feature, a long wait is now over. Delay after delay and reading all the info on androidcentral kept me faithful. I cannot wait to stay up all night to order the tbolt online. Fingers crossed that the bootloader is not locked and phone arrives in 3 days, not weeks.
    03-15-2011 03:14 PM

A little back story: I got a Samsung Alias back when they first came out in the summer of 07 and I still use it every day. When I became eligible for an upgrade in '09, I was in college and had an ipod touch, I could use my ipod for everything an iphone could do, because I was always in wifi range, so I gave my upgrade to my brother so he could get a new phone... Little did I know that there would be an explosion in the capabilities android phones could do, and I had to wait two more years for another upgrade. Since then, I have graduated and am frequently in areas that don't have wifi, also I have been able to travel more frequently and have been increasingly frustrated by having to take a camera, phone (the alias has a terrible camera), and ipod everywhere (along with searching for wifi hotspots when travelling). That brings us to last Christmas, my parents asked me if I wanted a new phone, so I began to look at them. The DInc and DX at this point were already six months old, so I decided I would wait to see what would come out at the first of the year. Thats when I came across PC World's Pics of the New 4G LTE Phones I decided then that this was the phone I had been waiting for...and waiting for...and waiting for...

4G capability makes the phone future proof. I am used to getting the most out of the life of my phone, and with 4G, I will have no problems hanging onto this baby for my entire two year contract. 8 megapixel camera ensures that I no longer have to carry a camera with me when I travel. 32GB sd card lets me take all my music, movies, and pictures with me wherever I go. And I was really happy to see the FM radio, which will really come in handy when I go to ball games and am out camping in areas with spotty 4/3G coverage.

Since seeing the PC World Announcement, I have been tracking this phone. I got super excited when I thought the phone was going to be released in Feb. only to meet bitter disappointment for the next three weeks. After two weeks of reading tweets and news blogs about the Thunderbolt release, I thought I was going to pull my hair out not knowing when this phone was going to come out. Some sites mentioned JUNE several times, and I almost caved and went to a Verizon Store to settle for a Droid Incredible. Then I found android central. I joined the forum and began posting in the infamous "There's a storm brewing..." thread. The AC community really made the most out of a bad situation, just knowing there were lots of other people out there dealing with all the speculation and offering opinions and jokes to pass the time.

I have been texting a super helpful sales rep at my local Verizon store. He has been very patient and answered my questions to the best of his ability. As soon as the official announcement was made, I texted him and set up an appointment to go get the phone at 9:00 am as soon as the store opens.

Since joining AC, I've made 115 posts, all to the "storm's brewing" thread, lol. I've also developed a nervous tick anytime I hear the words "soon" or "take that with a grain of salt". I've also learned how great the mods and community here at AC are, will definitely be a very involved member after Thursday.
    03-15-2011 03:15 PM
112 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD