Cheaper Phones???

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
So way back when the open handset alliance was created, one thought was to get a more cost effective OS, not relying on every phone manufacturer to create their own OS if they didn't want to run windows. Those manufacturing their own OS a few years back was Palm, Symbian (wasn't this Nokia?), Java, and then Google to create a OS that didn't require licensing.

If I recall since there wasn't a licensing fee, theoretically the cost for the phone should be less. However, I don't really see that being passed on to the consumer. The price for a subsidized phone is still the same as its windows competitor. Shouldn't these costs eventually make it to the consumer? Who is keeping the money then? Is it the manufactures such as Samsung and HTC or is it the carrier/retailer?

Just something I thought about today while driving...

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What you are seeing is higher quality phones. I don't think that there is any question that the $200 Evo or Incredible blow the pants off similarly priced BB or WinMo devices in terms of hardware (software is another issue). So yes, you are paying the same, but getting A LOT more phone for your buck.

Plus, in case you hadn't heard, HTC is paying Microsoft cause apparently Android infringes on some of their patents. Or something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy