The Real Silent Hill - Centralia, PA - Underground Mine Fire Burning Since '62

AFirefighter

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
For those who are unaware, Centralia, PA has a mine fire burning deep underneath the town. The fire started in the trash pit back in 1962 and has been burning ever since. Estimates put the duration of the burn (From this point) in centuries - 250-500 years or more. Roger Avery, director of the "Silent Hill" movie, has said part of his inspiration for the movie was from Centralia. He was told about Centralia when he was a child by his father. He and the production crew for the movie visited Centralia as well.

I edited a video late last night (1am). It has some good shots of the highway, smoke from the fire, the church, etc. I've only edited 1 other video ever, so it's nothing amazing.

Click here for the video: A Tour of "The Real Silent Hill" - Centralia, PA - YouTube

Once a thriving mountain town with thousands of people, on top of a massive deposite of Anthracite coal (the longest burning coal in the world), Centralia has deteriorated significantly over the years. Currently the population estimate is under 7 people. As of yesterday it seems only 2-3 houses, a church, an autobody style shop, and the municpal building remain.

Route 61, the main north-south thru-road, has had problems as well. The only Route 61 has subsided extensively. That part of the road has been closed, and a new road around it has been established for several years now. As you can see from the image below, it is not somewhere you want to drive your car. Though a Jeep, or other four wheel drive vehicle makes for a fun time:

BCM6822-L.jpg

BCM6829-L.jpg

As you heard from the video, this is the most people I've EVER seen here on one trip:
BCM6826-L.jpg

BCM6828-L.jpg

This part of Centralia is the ridge that runs west to east:
BCM6832-L.jpg

In the distance you can see new wind turbines that were added over the last 2-3 years:
BCM6833-L.jpg

BCM6834-L.jpg

You can also see the church:
BCM6831-L.jpg

Which upon closer inspection, is really quite near to the church in "Silent Hill" - closer shot:
Silent-Hill-Church-HDR-L.jpg

One of 3 cemetaries in town:
BCM6851-L.jpg

BCM6852-L.jpg

Heading out of town to the East provides some great trails. There are some nice powerlines trails, and intersecting trails that provide some mild wheeling. Nothing too crazy, but it can get a little sketchy at times. Some shots here:
BCM6857-L.jpg

BCM6855-L.jpg

Since I'm sure some of you enjoy the "smoke" photos - here are some older photos with the smoke:

BCM0363-L.jpg

BCM0407-L.jpg

BCM0421-L.jpg

BCM2898-L.jpg

BCM5211-L.jpg

Centralia-Church-HDR-L.jpg

402538401_eX8Ai-L.jpg

Self portrait of me hanging out in one of the smoke filled holes:
569448704_th9UF-L.jpg

Here is a "drive around" video of the town. You can see one of the remaining houses, and the rest is .. well, just empty streets.

The video is here: "The Real Silent Hill" - Centralia, PA Street Tour - YouTube

More trips, more videos, more photos in the future. I'm open to recommendations on what you would like to see more of when I head up there next time.