Thought this was funny and interesting.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Lg posted losses for years on end. This past quarter they barely eeked out a profit.

True but they have been the under dog forever. They have only recently become a player in the market with the Optimus and Nexus. Look at next quarter. Also Asus. They are all doing much better.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that the Nexus is going to do much for the bottom line, I am sure they are almost giving them to Google to help with name recognition. This time next year should be a good measuring stick for them.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't have to win the hardware game they are in everything. You may have heard the big news today. Google maps is back on iOS. Apple fans are ecstatic. +1 for Google.

It became the number one app in 7 hours. :p

As for this war, both Google and Apple have their own advantages, Apple has profits, Google has market share. Android has customization and openness, iPhone has ease of use and better support.

If there was to be a winner, it would be hard for anyone to know who it would be and anyone who thinks they know for sure is only fooling themselves.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

As for this war, both Google and Apple have their own advantages, Apple has profits, Google has market share. Android has customization and openness, iPhone has ease of use and better support.

If there was to be a winner, it would be hard for anyone to know who it would be and anyone who thinks they know for sure is only fooling themselves.

No the winner is Google. They make a metric butt ton of money off apple, they make another ton off search, they get higher brand recognition off android(no matter who makes the phone). They are in nothing but a win situation

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Without profits the business model is unsustainable. Without profits, companies cannot invest in R&D and new technologies. Profits are as critical to the industry as market share is. (Pros and cons of each platform are irrelevant to the conversation)

Yes I know that. I do understand business somewhat. But most of the people that bring up Apple's advantage in profits are not thinking of that, I guarantee you. It's simply an area where Apple does better than anyone else. You know, "Android has 75% of the market share!" "Oh yeah, but Apple has a 70% share of the profit."

Another thing, Apple has arguably fallen behind in innovation recently. If Apple has most of the profit which directly facilitates R&D, shouldn't they still be way ahead of the competition in that area?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes I know that. I do understand business somewhat. But most of the people that bring up Apple's advantage in profits are not thinking of that, I guarantee you. It's simply an area where Apple does better than anyone else. You know, "Android has 75% of the market share!" "Oh yeah, but Apple has a 70% share of the profit."

Another thing, Apple has arguably fallen behind in innovation recently. If Apple has most of the profit which directly facilitates R&D, shouldn't they still be way ahead of the competition in that area?

Lol android in itself is not meant to generate profit Google is not failing they are getting exactly what they want. OEMS on the other hand I see your point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I think they both have some serious profits. Apple may have more at this point but Google is not anywhere near being unprofitable.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I think they both have some serious profits. Apple may have more at this point but Google is not anywhere near being unprofitable.

Those profits aren't on Google their profits come from ad and data revenue not from android itself

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Those profits aren't on Google their profits come from ad and data revenue not from android itself

So you're saying Android doesn't make Google any profits? Cause that's what it seems like (please tell me I'm wrong.) lol

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No the winner is Google. They make a metric butt ton of money off apple, they make another ton off search, they get higher brand recognition off android(no matter who makes the phone). They are in nothing but a win situation

There is no winner. Google has market share and makes money off apple, and apple has less marketshare but makes more money than all of the android manufacturers combined.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying Android doesn't make Google any profits? Cause that's what it seems like (please tell me I'm wrong.) lol

Not anything measurable. Google has had a lot of difficulty monetizing android, which is sort of shocking considering their market share and that they've had no such problems with iOS.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Not anything measurable. Google has had a lot of difficulty monetizing android, which is sort of shocking considering their market share and that they've had no such problems with iOS.
Well there's still something. I mean it might seem insignificant compared to everything else Google has that makes them money but every extra bit of profit is still profit.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

They are not monetizing the os itself yes they make money off of it but the way it works isn't like apple whose profits come primarily from hardware your looking at two completely different business models

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
They are not monetizing the os itself yes they make money off of it but the way it works isn't like apple whose profits come primarily from hardware your looking at two completely different business models

Well unlike Google, Apple only really makes hardware (and the software that goes with it of course) whereas Google mostly makes money on software and it's various services (i would guess anyway.) So it's not surprising. I'm no business expert though, I just enjoy the products.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly googles business model. They could care less about the hardware (the n4 proves that) they make the money on the back end

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That is exactly googles business model. They could care less about the hardware (the n4 proves that) they make the money on the back end

But that's the thing: they don't. Googles profit from android is non-existent.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You misunderstood. They do make a bit off of playstore purchases of apps and they make a ton off search from android. Do not discount that because those profits are a direct rest of android

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You misunderstood. They do make a bit off of playstore purchases of apps and they make a ton off search from android. Do not discount that because those profits are a direct rest of android

They don't. All of that money is not profit, it pays for all of the expenses related to android. They make nothing from it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So you are going to tell me that the increase in ad views that they are getting from android searches on Google equates to next to nothing?

They make nothing on the operating system, they make very little on the hardware, they make just a bit more on apps, they make a ton off the searches from those three other things.

Is that in dispute?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01