Thought this was funny and interesting.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Those profits aren't on Google their profits come from ad and data revenue not from android itself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

It doesn't really matter. Google makes their money however they like and continues to support Android because of it, so it's all good.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There is no winner. Google has market share and makes money off apple, and apple has less marketshare but makes more money than all of the android manufacturers combined.

But a large part of it is also from app sales. The Android manufacturers get none of that.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
But that's the thing: they don't. Googles profit from android is non-existent.

This is still a long term investment on Googles part. They are a profitable company based on users. There are semantics based on how they make money but Android helps Google to make money so I'm not sure what the argument is. Their software is open source so it's a non profit maker. Apple makes all their money on hardware. I think that Googles business model is much less volatile than Apple's because it is not dependant on hardware sales. Windows Phone could take over and google would still do well. BlackBerry comes back? No biggie. Apple has to fight legal battles to maintain their market share.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So you are going to tell me that the increase in ad views that they are getting from android searches on Google equates to next to nothing?

They make nothing on the operating system, they make very little on the hardware, they make just a bit more on apps, they make a ton off the searches from those three other things.

Is that in dispute?

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Yes. Google itself says it makes nothing on android, ads, apps, and content included. From 2008-2011, google had $550 million in revenue. (Note: NOT profit) That hasn't changed. Google even acknowledges that it is in the very early stages of monetizing the platform, and they clearly have a long way to go.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
This is still a long term investment on Googles part. They are a profitable company based on users. There are semantics based on how they make money but Android helps Google to make money so I'm not sure what the argument is. Their software is open source so it's a non profit maker. Apple makes all their money on hardware. I think that Googles business model is much less volatile than Apple's because it is not dependant on hardware sales. Windows Phone could take over and google would still do well. BlackBerry comes back? No biggie. Apple has to fight legal battles to maintain their market share.

Googles model is just as volatile. It is dependent on clicks and users eyes, and there are as many competitors for them in that way as there are in hardware.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Googles model is just as volatile. It is dependent on clicks and users eyes, and there are as many competitors for them in that way as there are in hardware.

Really? When was the last time you Bing'd something? Last time I checked there were quite a few advertisers on Google.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Really? When was the last time you Bing'd something? Last time I checked there were quite a few advertisers on Google.

It's still volatile. At their core, they're a marketing and advertising company. As soon as a better product is out there, google will lose business.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's still volatile. At their core, they're a marketing and advertising company. As soon as a better product is out there, google will lose business.

Yes but Apple just proved that this is not so easy to do with Apple Maps. Ask yahoo or Bing how well their search engines are doing compared to Google?

Google still made around 10 billion in profit this year and that's after buying Motorola. And they spend piles of their money on innovation and R&D. Way more than Apple. In fact Apple spends the least at 4% compared to everyone else which is why I think they are losing ground. While Apple is busy selling the same old iPhone's, Google is trying to build driverless cars and Google glasses. Apple has basically one product Google has many. And as soon as they start focusing more on Motorola things could change in a hurry on the hardware side too.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Put like that there is no non-volatile business. If someone makes a legitimately better product in any business others will stand to lose. Apple and Google have built empires in a relatively short amount of time because they knew how to best serve their respective audience the minute that stops being true is the time they fall. Google is doing extremely well for itself and is accomplishing its short term goals very well apple we know for a fact has been a money making machine both put out decent products but people see android as something more than what it is. Its not like apple it does not need high profits it does not need Google as a dedicated vendor it doesn't need control as that will only stifle its growth which growth is ultimately what Google wants from it. It wants the os itself to spread like wildfire to as many phones and vendors as possible so Google can get our sweet sweet data. So they can continue to dominate search so that it can tell you what you want before you want it so it can be a staple in your everyday life. Google is winning its own battle because it has that 70% market share. And because its still a big part of iOS users too.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes but Apple just proved that this is not so easy to do with Apple Maps. Ask yahoo or Bing how well their search engines are doing compared to Google?

Google still made around 10 billion in profit this year and that's after buying Motorola. And they spend piles of their money on innovation and R&D. Way more than Apple. In fact Apple spends the least at 4% compared to everyone else which is why I think they are losing ground. While Apple is busy selling the same old iPhone's, Google is trying to build driverless cars and Google glasses. Apple has basically one product Google has many. And as soon as they start focusing more on Motorola things could change in a hurry on the hardware side too.

What ever you like it or not Apple is one of most technology influential companies out there. Lot of Android user is scared to admit fact if not iPad there beloved Nexus 7s would not even existed, Google liked this idea to mobile mobile phone OS to bigger screen so much that they rushed Android development toward that direction that they created new UI for tablet without making without making phone counterpart that they released version later... who knows how ICS would look like without that tablet UI and still be UI indemnity-less mess as it was. If not Steve Jobs saying no to Flash most people would still don't know what HTML5 is, when he did that people started whole campaign to defend Flash and how Android is superior having it.... what we got now? Flash for mobile is no longer develop, Adobe actually helping HTML5 to match Flash features (like blending filters which i think is one of most signature feature of Adobe products... at least they push this on any product that they touch it) so they can migrate and Android users actually admit that Flash is slow some even say it need to be gone same as Apple users been saying back then.

In both those cases i knew Apple would succeed unlike most people, why? Because i knew that touch based UI of mobile OS is what tablet needed and may actually work and defending Flash against HTML5 is pointless as defending Java against C/C++. plus unlike Java which is quite open, Flash is closed commercial product where in order to get support you need to got on knees to Adobe so they can gladly port it to your system so it can have worshiped back then "full web experience". People are ready to say any BS just to hate Apple because it's in fashion, but deep in there body they know that if not Apple there products would not be so cool as it is now, you can see that they admit in comments sometimes because at the end they know that sometimes they saying BS. Thats why i alway say never underestimate Apple, because they can come up with something that will effect whole industry. Ofcorse this works in both directions Apple learn from others too.... but you know that already don't you? :p

Ofcorse Apple is this as it is now thanks to Steve Jobs supervision and now Tim Cook has have hard job to match him and Apple may fail as some people predict as they already had Steve-less episode in history and they didn't do well. But i think one year is too early to judge it yet, lot of ideas that come out of Apples are not Steave Jobs ideas, there still those people are inside it.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Wtf first off please work on your English good sir that was a garbled mess. Second where did half of those statements come from I'm fairly confused on who you're trying to convince. Oh and on the subject if it wasn't for the ipod apple would still be an obscure tiny niche that few knew existed. Its only since the original iPod that they have had any prevailing influence I will admit their mobile products are good but their PC's are to me as they always have been nothing to bother with.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Wtf first off please work on your English good sir that was a garbled mess. Second where did half of those statements come from I'm fairly confused on who you're trying to convince. Oh and on the subject if it wasn't for the ipod apple would still be an obscure tiny niche that few knew existed. Its only since the original iPod that they have had any prevailing influence I will admit their mobile products are good but their PC's are to me as they always have been nothing to bother with.

I could understand him just fine, no need to rage about it.

Outdated yet Young Motorola Photon 4G

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ya, it's fine Shadow man. We got what you were saying. I don't disagree with you in terms of how Apple has pushed the mobile industry but many companies deserve credit for that. Motorola, Palm, Sony and BlackBerry have all contributed to the industry. Would we have had an ipod without a Sony Walkman? And let's not forget Karl-Heinz Brandenburg who invented the MP3. And heck let's throw Linux in the mix too. These are all important companies that have contributed. Apple may have found a way to monetize and market their products better than anyone else but they certainly don't deserve all the credit. And they also don't own the ideas in regards to what their technology. Read this whole thread. There are tons of great links. This one not the least of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

First of all sorry for my english, im not native english spreaker and i'm aware that my gramma sux. In case of iPad. If you go back to days when it was first announce and you love Android tablets you gonna be suppriced what people been talking back then, lot of people talking that it useless and it's just oversize iPod touch that you can't run Photoshop on it, even some Apple fans was saying that as most of them expected OS X tablet, why? Because back then tablets was seen as PC Laptop without keyboard (which been in edge of existence) what people didn't like is that they placed limited (by it's purpace, Android is limited to compire to desktop systems) mobile OS insted of OS X, only similar notable product that actually iPad been compared was Kindle... which back then it was e-paper device design for reading ebooks, lot people believed that it also goes againts netbooks. Here how opinions looked like back then:

iPad Sucks Bigtime!! Really It Does!! - YouTube

It turns out it actully works, everyone on mobile market started to make tablets like that too, Kindle throw away it's e-paper origin and turn in to lcd tablet too and MS (unfortunly for desktop users) went crazy and turn Windows to tablet OS to rebirth there desktop PC tablet idea and make there iPad equivalent. Tablet with mobile OS become couch device exacly as Steve Jobs demo it (oh i forgot to mention back then some people was worried how you gonna carry it around). Everybody magically forgot BS what they been saying back then and no body is against tablets with non-desktop system anymore.

In case of Flash i think i don't need to tell how that story goes as it was talked on Android side too :p

Ya, it's fine Shadow man. We got what you were saying. I don't disagree with you in terms of how Apple has pushed the mobile industry but many companies deserve credit for that. Motorola, Palm, Sony and BlackBerry have all contributed to the industry. Would we have had an ipod without a Sony Walkman? And let's not forget Karl-Heinz Brandenburg who invented the MP3. And heck let's throw Linux in the mix too. These are all important companies that have contributed. Apple may have found a way to monetize and market their products better than anyone else but they certainly don't deserve all the credit. And they also don't own the ideas in regards to what their technology. Read this whole thread. There are tons of great links. This one not the least of them

Yea i not disaggree to that too :) thru i disagree that Apple is just iPhone because it cleary isn't. But one small correction, there Mech/Xen/Darwin kernel is fork of BSD not Linux, ofcorse they both benifit each other as they are unix-like system so they got thing in common.... so i guess Unix should be credited here :p Also as i know Apple preferences AAC over MP3

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yea i not disaggree to that too :) thru i disagree that Apple is just iPhone because it cleary isn't. But one small correction, there Mech/Xen/Darwin kernel is fork of BSD not Linux, ofcorse they both benifit each other as they are unix-like system so they got thing in common.... so i guess Unix should be credited here :p Also as i know Apple preferences AAC over MP3
Sorry I actually meant to write Unix but said Linux.

As for flash the big argument I have always had is Apple kills things before it's time. It could be argued that the floppy disk was not needed yet our office was in chaos for a year having to try to move files onto our Macs because our backups were on floppies. Now I heard they will be also dropping the DVD drive before its time. Same problem.

I actually develop Web software and although I have been talking clients out of frivolous flash animated websites for years, there were still things that Flash does that are far faster than having to code them in Java script or HTML 5. I'm not saying we wouldn't eventually get there but when Apple dropped Flash is seriously cost me money to go in and change a lot of things and also it took us a lot longer to develop some things that were easy to do with Flash. Lots of tech evolves, but I am for letting it die naturally and not just when Apple decides it.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I actually meant to write Unix but said Linux.

As for flash the big argument I have always had is Apple kills things before it's time. It could be argued that the floppy disk was not needed yet our office was in chaos for a year having to try to move files onto our Macs because our backups were on floppies. Now I heard they will be also dropping the DVD drive before its time. Same problem.

I actually develop Web software and although I have been talking clients out of frivolous flash animated websites for years, there were still things that Flash does that are far faster than having to code them in Java script or HTML 5. I'm not saying we wouldn't eventually get there but when Apple dropped Flash is seriously cost me money to go in and change a lot of things and also it took us a lot longer to develop some things that were easy to do with Flash. Lots of tech evolves, but I am for letting it die naturally and not just when Apple decides it.

And it's dying (the plug-in ofcorse) naturally practically by Adobe decision, they could continue support but they know thy on the way and so they moved on contributing to HTML5 so they can make Flash output JS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad